PDA

View Full Version : Wrong DROS???

NavyIT85
07-24-2012, 6:01 PM
I bought a Springfield Armory XD 45 at the Del Mar Gun Show on the 14th. I have been less than patiently waiting for my 10 days. I bought ammo, accessories, range bag etc.

I went to the store today to pick up my Gun!!! I hand him my paperwork, and he commences looking. after about 5 minutes with no success, he asks me what kind of gun I purchased. I told him... he says "I have some bad news. You aren't going to be happy" ... to which I replied "...".

He tells me that in the rush at the gun show, they submitted my DROS as a long gun purchase. Which translates to me having to wait another 10 days... they obviously covered the bill, but I still have to wait. He apologized and offered me some ammo to make up for it. I couldn't be upset with him.

What upsets me is the way California handles things. First of all, the purpose for the 10 day wait is for the background check, right? Why do they both take 10 days if they are not the same investigation? Why did they say I could own a shotgun or rifle, but they have to re-investigate to see if I can own a .45?

I needed to vent... Thank You calguns! This is the first firearm I have purchased in CA... I am glad there are people bound by the same restrictions with the same interests, that are able to gather here.

9mmlaw
07-24-2012, 6:10 PM
Welcome.

At least your dealer made things right with you.

mrdd
07-24-2012, 6:23 PM
This sort of thing happened to me. The DROS system was down when I made a purchase, and the FFL neglected to enter it later. I showed up on or after the 10th day, and was informed that the DROS was never submitted, so I had to wait another 10 days.

It sucks, but mistakes happen.

jaymz
07-24-2012, 7:00 PM
Unless the rules have changed in the past 10 years or so, you shouldn't have to wait again. I purchased an XD when they first came out as an XD instead of the HS2000. I went to pick it up and noticed some cosmetic damage that I didn't recall seeing before. The shop did some paperwork, and gave me a different gun. No extra wait. I guess my point is that significant changes can be made to the DROS paperwork after the 10 day wait.

Clownpuncher
07-24-2012, 7:50 PM
That stinks but that is awesome that the dealer made it right. Believe me, not every dealer at the gun show possesses integrity. I was in a local gun shop and a guy came in with a 5.56 upper he bought. He obviously didn't know much, he was trying to make sure it was a 5.56 and not a .223. Upon inspection it was obvious that it was a used upper, not to mention the bold was ever so slightly bent and difficult to remove. He thought it just needed oil because that's what the dealer told him. Poor guy was out $300+.

NavyIT85
07-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I asked why the DROS had to be run again, he said when they run it for long gun there is no serial number included on the form. For handguns they have to submit again with the serial.

I am glad they are helping me out. I give a lot of credit to the shop, I didn't even actually buy it through them... They had a deal worked out with another shop to transfer firearms closer to San Diego at no cost to the buyer. So the shop itself (even though it was one of their staff that made the error), will be seeing me again for future purchases. To anyone in the San Diego area, It is "Big Shot" that is taking care of me, and I do definitely recommend them. I have been out here for 4 years, it is hard to find businesses that are willing to work with you like that!

NavyIT85
07-24-2012, 10:04 PM
That stinks but that is awesome that the dealer made it right. Believe me, not every dealer at the gun show possesses integrity. I was in a local gun shop and a guy came in with a 5.56 upper he bought. He obviously didn't know much, he was trying to make sure it was a 5.56 and not a .223. Upon inspection it was obvious that it was a used upper, not to mention the bold was ever so slightly bent and difficult to remove. He thought it just needed oil because that's what the dealer told him. Poor guy was out $300+.

I would be livid... Granted, I like to think I know enough about firearms to be able to see that something was used.

stix213
07-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Glad to hear he through in some ammo. Seems like a good guy. He could have just told you tough luck but it sounds like he might just value customers.

joerockt
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Had something like this happen today. Bought a lower at the show on the 14th from JD. Assumed that my time started then. Went down there today to pickup and I find out that the paperwork wasnt processed until the 17th. They never mentioned this either after I signed. Not happy.

I've never bought a firearm from the show, and all other firearms I bought, I could pickup in 10 days after the minute I signed the paperwork, so that's why I made the assumption.

timdps
07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Should have used the long gun DROS to pick up a rifle then and there with no 10 day wait...:D

Tim

t0kie
07-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Few years ago it happened to me too. The mistake was on whoever did the background check. After everything is clear, CA DoJ told me that I had to DROS for the 2nd time since the 1st one has been denied already. The worst part: the local shop did not want to cover the fee since they feel it's not their fault, so I have to pay twice & wait another 10 days :mad:
At least with you the shop covered the fee & made up something for you, not too bad.

bigcalidave
07-25-2012, 1:34 PM
Should have used the long gun DROS to pick up a rifle then and there with no 10 day wait...:D

Tim

This!

NavyIT85
07-25-2012, 4:39 PM
Had something like this happen today. Bought a lower at the show on the 14th from JD. Assumed that my time started then. Went down there today to pickup and I find out that the paperwork wasnt processed until the 17th. They never mentioned this either after I signed. Not happy.

I've never bought a firearm from the show, and all other firearms I bought, I could pickup in 10 days after the minute I signed the paperwork, so that's why I made the assumption.

They did the paperwork on the spot for me at the show... incorrectly, but it was submitted on time

NavyIT85
07-25-2012, 4:42 PM
This!

lol... I am planning to build an AR... should have gotten the receiver while I had the chance :32:

Mr.Do
07-26-2012, 12:36 AM
damn at least the guy offered some free ammo. that was pretty cool, but another 10 days wait..haha

Jason_2111
07-26-2012, 9:31 AM
I'm glad they made it right for you and didn't jerk you around.
I've had a similar experience a while back that turned out very differently.

You should mention the shop's name... give them a plug for being willing to admit the mistake and make it right. Good service is getting harder to find these days. ;)

Paul S
07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm glad they made it right for you and didn't jerk you around.
I've had a similar experience a while back that turned out very differently.

You should mention the shop's name... give them a plug for being willing to admit the mistake and make it right. Good service is getting harder to find these days. ;)

The OP did. See post #6.

The shop is "Big Shot" in the San Diego area.

NavyIT85
07-26-2012, 8:56 PM
The OP did. See post #6.

The shop is "Big Shot" in the San Diego area.

www.teambigshot.com (http://www.teambigshot.com) is the site. Seem to specialize in AR parts!

They really were great, they are near MCAS Miramar, just off of Miramar road. actually kind of hard to find though without the GPS.

tenpercentfirearms
07-26-2012, 9:07 PM
Unless the rules have changed in the past 10 years or so, you shouldn't have to wait again. I purchased an XD when they first came out as an XD instead of the HS2000. I went to pick it up and noticed some cosmetic damage that I didn't recall seeing before. The shop did some paperwork, and gave me a different gun. No extra wait. I guess my point is that significant changes can be made to the DROS paperwork after the 10 day wait.

The shop broke the law or submitted a DROS correction. Most likely they submitted a DROS correction, which usually after too many errors requires a re-DROS. However, you cannot do that for a long gun since long guns do not register handguns.

So it would not work here and it is debatable if it would have worked for your HS2000.

jaymz
07-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Not sure exactly what the actual procedure was followed. It was a long time ago. All I can say for certain, is the gun listed on the DROS at day one, was not the same one that left the store with me on day ten. It was a store well known for following both laws that actually exist, and even some that don't. I'm sure whatever paperwork that was done at pickup was legit.