PDA

View Full Version : Saw this in the SF Chron: Handgun ammo law stuck in Calif. court

DennisCA
07-24-2012, 4:18 PM
You knew this was coming!

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Handgun-ammo-law-stuck-in-Calif-court-3729475.php

Kodemonkey
07-24-2012, 4:24 PM
But records of a high volume of ammunition purchases would lead to "a level of awareness that one person was stockpiling arms," said Greg Hayes, spokesman for state Sen. Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, author of the proposed law.

And what? What exactly are they going to do with that information? The pre-crimes division of the LAPD is going to arrest you for crimes you might commit?

That knowledge could then lead authorities to compare the information gathered at the time of purchase to the categories of individuals barred from buying guns or ammunition: convicted felons, those convicted of misdemeanors involving violence or guns, those with a history of mental illness or anyone subject to a domestic violence restraining order.

Oh, yeah. So... they are going to make this electronic? They are going to go to every ammunition retailer and comb their records on a daily basis? Seems to me someone who is going to go out to buy ammo to murder someone is going to sit on the ammo for 3 months to a year...

Burbur
07-24-2012, 5:21 PM
It doesn't take thousands of rounds to commit a crime. Most often, 0-3 rounds or no more than 1 magazine are ever fired. Rarely do we see mag changes in these situation, and when we do... well, I'm sure you could name those incidents. Even then, would the couple hundred rounds they used be note worthy?

The only people I know that have "thousands of rounds" are serious shooters who are "The Good Guys."

Ron-Solo
07-24-2012, 5:44 PM
LA's restrictions have obviously made that city so safe because criminals can't get ammo. Thankfully, I have a CCW otherwise I wouldn't go anywhere near Los Angeles.

This restriction is just another attempt to harasss gun owners.

Librarian
07-24-2012, 6:07 PM
Leftwich said ammunition sales were once regulated nationally under a 1968 law, which required dealers to keep sales records and banned mail-order purchases, but Congress repealed that law in 1986.
Of course they did - it had no criminal investigative success, and the intrusive burden could not be justified.

So, too, would be the fate of this law if it were allowed to recover on appeal.

The Geologist
07-24-2012, 8:50 PM
LA's restrictions have obviously made that city so safe because criminals can't get ammo. Thankfully, I have a CCW otherwise I wouldn't go anywhere near Los Angeles.

This restriction is just another attempt to harasss gun owners.

Same for San Francisco, the safest city in the west