PDA

View Full Version : Cheap deer hunting out of state.

victor1echo
07-24-2012, 2:03 PM
There is another thread about where are you hunting, and many people are going hunting in other states. Where is it inexpensive to deer hunt in one of our neighboring states? A place where non-resident licenses are reasonable, and there are tags available over the counter?

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-24-2012, 2:14 PM
'reasonably priced' is a relevant term. I'm not sure there is a state in the west where a NR can deer hunt(license and tag) for under $450. ID and OR are close to $500, NM is also in that range but doesn't have many (if any)otc tags.

VFX_man
07-24-2012, 2:34 PM
My AZ fall Deer hunt is going to run $385 with license, tag and Internet fees. Have not factored in gas, lodging will be at my in-laws [I hope]. Will be hunting right over the CA border near Yuma for Mule deer.

mcmikeblues7
07-24-2012, 3:00 PM
I guess Missouri is pretty cheap, based on what prices others are throwing out. The problem is that I already have family that has access to private land so...

jmonte35
07-24-2012, 5:40 PM
Non-resident tags suck................but it can be very rewarding.

Tags are expensive, if there are draws nonresidents get scraps, travel isn't getting any cheaper.....etc. etc. etc.

The best advice is to go with someone who has experience/property/etc. I.e. friends, relatives. This will usually get your foot in the door.

If you don't know anyone and you still want to be able to go...you need to take the leap of faith....once you do you will never look back. Hunting out of state is fun period. You'll meet other hunters doing the same thing and many times you'll make some good friends. Go to the bars and find some loose lipped hunters....they are all over public hunting grounds.

Biggest thing you need to do is just do it. Don't expect to be successful your first time......it rarely happens but I would say if you're a good hunter your second year can usually be very good depending on where you are hunting.

victor1echo
07-25-2012, 6:30 AM
$500 is reasonable to me. I kind of wish I would have asked a few months ago. But maybe I'll just do a guided hog hunt somewhere local.

TuleyHopn
07-25-2012, 12:42 PM
In Utah, hunting license and 2 anterless tags for non-resident costs just over 200$.
Check out this site : http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/license-permit.html
CAUTION.... Opening day general hunt has to be seen to be believed. (I hid under a rock that day)

DirtyDave
07-26-2012, 11:50 PM
South Dakota. Non-res deer license for 2 antlerless deer is $80. Cheap air fare through Allegiant air to souix falls and there are a bunch of public walk-in areas to hunt. No guides needed to come home with a cooler full of meat. Bring your shotgun for the pheasants too.

spectr17
07-27-2012, 12:15 AM
AZ bow tag is good as VXF Man said. Cibola NWR has some decent bucks running around there so you don't have to go all the way down to Yuma.

Road kill buck from 2 years ago where we were dove hunting. He got hit going into the refuge to bed. Man did he stank, the poor warden Melanie had to pick him up.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs634.snc4/59433_1549124484489_1126381876_1567977_7561258_n.j pg

I don't know about them MO Tags being cheap, they jack them up every year and are almost the same now. They hit IL, KS and IA hunters with a $40 surcharge also to slow the border hopping.

victor1echo
07-27-2012, 7:07 AM
I should have thought about this 6 months ago.

sharkmansam
07-28-2012, 6:30 PM
idaho i been planing it call them get the regs pm me but i must admit dakota thing sound idaho

Full Clip
07-28-2012, 6:40 PM
I've hunted Colorado a few times, around Craig area. The non-res tags are about $400, but the real expense is fuel to get out there. Always gone in group of four, which made it about $400 each. The hunting was great, though.... we all got good deer every year.