PDA

View Full Version : First Aurora Massacre Lawsuit

Eirerogue
07-24-2012, 1:33 PM
One of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose. One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died. Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.

Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him. Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

2. Holmes' doctors. Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors -- at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

Casual_Shooter
07-24-2012, 1:36 PM
Might be the first lawsuit, but this is the second thread on the topic. ;)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=599286

Outta Control
07-24-2012, 1:38 PM
LOL!

mmayer707
07-24-2012, 1:39 PM
One of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose. One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died. Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.

Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him. Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

2. Holmes' doctors. Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors -- at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

The 3rd part is frivolous to say the least. Did Holmes see the movie before the 1st showing. I see that as unlikely. What was in the movie shouldn't matter. Also, where the hell is the part where it was a gun free zone?

jamesob
07-24-2012, 1:47 PM
the first suit maybe but the others are not going anywhere.

stix213
07-24-2012, 1:59 PM

1) Isn't it pretty normal to have emergency exit doors in theaters that don't alarm, since an alarm going off in the middle of the movie when someone steps out would be pretty offensive?

2) Seems his mental health was an issue. Might have something here, but IANAL

3) How could Holmes have mimicked some of the action in the movie when no one had even seen the movie yet? It was the midnight showing on opening day.

Connor P Price
07-24-2012, 2:27 PM
1) Isn't it pretty normal to have emergency exit doors in theaters that don't alarm, since an alarm going off in the middle of the movie when someone steps out would be pretty offensive?

Yes it is. In fact I think it would be quite abnormal for a theaters exit doors to be alarmed.

2) Seems his mental health was an issue. Might have something here, but IANAL

The doctors would have to have some way of knowing that he was a danger to himself or others in order to do anything. Unless he said something to suggest that he was going to commit such an atrocious crime I see this argument being a bit of a loser.

3) How could Holmes have mimicked some of the action in the movie when no one had even seen the movie yet? It was the midnight showing on opening day.

I had seen it already. :cool: Really it appears that naming Warner Brothers is just grasping at straws. Studios produce violent movies depicting the use of firearms literally non stop.

Eirerogue
07-24-2012, 2:30 PM
Obviously looking for the DEEP pockets. Ambulance Chaser

furyous68
07-24-2012, 2:33 PM

In fact, they are not classed as EMERGENCY EXITS, which are required to be alarmed. They are plain ole exits, and if you look closely, they have a sign on or above the door that states: "THIS DOOR MUST REMAIN UNLOCKED DURING BUSINESS HOURS". Line item #1 is going nowhere, as is #3. I doubt he'll get anywhere with the doctors, but if it's true, it'll be interesting what happens doctor/ patient confidentiality when it comes to reporting someone as not mentally fit to own firearms.

Dreaded Claymore
07-24-2012, 2:35 PM
Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

This idea is one of the things that is killing our society. Very often, when something bad happens, a culprit is responsible, but no one has to be. Sometimes, bad things happen for no reason. It's terrible, but we have to deal with them anyway.

adampolo13
07-24-2012, 2:36 PM
Who's this guy gonna sue next. S&W, Glock, Remmington??? I get that this is a horible situation but the fact is he went into a building unprotected... When people going to wake up and realize the PoPo aint gonna keep you from getting hurt. They will just sweep up your body...

morfeeis
07-24-2012, 2:41 PM
Stupid people......

bigdawg86
07-24-2012, 2:49 PM
Sometimes I don't know what makes me more angry...the perpetrator or the goons who try to capitalize on someone else loss. Just wait... It's only a matter of time before Jesse Jackson gets onboard with these yahoos as the spokesperson.

adampolo13
07-24-2012, 3:02 PM
Well, its becoming more and more apparent that nationwide gun control is a dead issue.... Look at the number of people who suppport gun control now versus 10 years ago. More and more people, liberal and conservative, are fed up with government's over reaching power grabs....

Bhobbs
07-24-2012, 3:09 PM
If he is offended by violence in movies, why is he seeing a violent action movie?

NYsteveZ
07-24-2012, 3:18 PM
I would love to see the one vs. Warner Bros. "Sir...are you stating James Holmes was mimicking the Joker character from the movie?" Yes. "What color hair has EVERY Joker since Cesar Romero have"? Green. "Mr Holmes hair was red-Clearly Ronald McDonald, not the Joker. The defense rests".

Mikeb
07-24-2012, 3:23 PM
I have to agree to the third point. Hollywood will rise up and demand gun control, but they are the ones that sell gun fantasies. THey will want gunowners to surrender their arms but they will continue to pimp the idea that someone can make an impact by using one.
Mike

gazzavc
07-24-2012, 10:51 PM
As much as I abhor the thought of suing anyone after a tragedy such as this, I do like in a way the fact that someone is going to hold a torch to the feet of the Hollywood elite, often seen as untouchable, and mostly left wing, anti gun hypocrites, who will push their liberal agendas, while piggybacking on the very films depicting guns, violence and mayhem that put them on the podium in the first place.

Just something to think about.

G

e36mike
07-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Someone has to be held accountible for this? Pretty sure someone is ..his name is James Holmes.

Scratch705
07-24-2012, 11:12 PM
ha, funny how he sues the movie, that he himself was watching on a midnight showing.

guess the violence in the movie was ok as long as it wasn't happening in real life against him?

Doheny
07-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Interesting points you bring up.

As much as I abhor the thought of suing anyone after a tragedy such as this, I do like in a way the fact that someone is going to hold a torch to the feet of the Hollywood elite, often seen as untouchable, and mostly left wing, anti gun hypocrites, who will push their liberal agendas, while piggybacking on the very films depicting guns, violence and mayhem that put them on the podium in the first place.

Just something to think about.

G

Theseus
07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Someone has to be held accountible for this? Pretty sure someone is ..his name is James Holmes.

+1 from me. The person most responsible here is the shooter.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2

vintagearms
07-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Obviously looking for the DEEP pockets. Ambulance Chaser

THIS.

Gryff
07-25-2012, 1:43 AM

Rampant violence that the litigant had paid to see. Now he sues over it.

What a tool.

ALSystems
07-25-2012, 2:37 PM
Seems his mental health was an issue. Might have something here, but IANAL

There is something here. Holms sent a notebook detailing what he planned to do to a University of Colorado psychiatrist before the attack but it was unopened.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25/exclusive-movie-massacre-suspect-laid-out-plans-in-package-mailed-to/

66 AC COBRA
07-25-2012, 3:12 PM
1st of many, will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

durandal
07-25-2012, 4:24 PM
In fact, they are not classed as EMERGENCY EXITS, which are required to be alarmed. They are plain ole exits, and if you look closely, they have a sign on or above the door that states: "THIS DOOR MUST REMAIN UNLOCKED DURING BUSINESS HOURS". Line item #1 is going nowhere, as is #3. I doubt he'll get anywhere with the doctors, but if it's true, it'll be interesting what happens doctor/ patient confidentiality when it comes to reporting someone as not mentally fit to own firearms.

Psychologists are legally required to Report someone who is a danger to themselves or others.

Connor P Price
07-25-2012, 4:54 PM
There is something here. Holms sent a notebook detailing what he planned to do to a University of Colorado psychiatrist before the attack but it was unopened.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25/exclusive-movie-massacre-suspect-laid-out-plans-in-package-mailed-to/

That is a HUGE piece of evidence and will give the suit against the doctors some serious teeth.

tpc13
07-26-2012, 4:40 AM
People always want money. Greedy person how dare he get rich off others death.