PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the eotech magnifiers

Teletiger7
06-04-2007, 9:44 PM
I'm purchasing an Eotech HWS. And i'm also thinking of getting a magnifier. I want the ability to go from close to mid-range with my AR. Anybody have experience with one? Does it increase your ability to see clerly at farther distances. Any advice or recommendations? Since I'm getting an Eotech i willl probably get an eotech magnifier as well, but is there a reason to get an aimpoint magnifier instead?

Prc329
06-04-2007, 9:49 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-mpo-multi-purpose-optic-holographic-system-hws-557-4x.html

Unless you have a $1000 to spend on everything then going with either should be find. I've seen a couple of guys use the cheap tank magnifier CTD sells and it seems to work fine.

blkA4alb
06-04-2007, 9:56 PM
That's my dream optics setup...sigh. :(

ghost
06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
why does the magnifier for the eotech and the aimpoint cost so much?more than the actual red dot itself:confused:

Teletiger7
06-04-2007, 11:15 PM
That's my dream optics setup...sigh. :(

It definitely seems like it could be versatile and good for close to mid range stuff.

blkA4alb
06-04-2007, 11:16 PM
It definitely seems like it could be versatile and good for close to mid range stuff.

And it just looks so sexy :cool:.

Teletiger7
06-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Heres some inetresting EOtech related footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y7B9nos5PI

Product video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6aV-7Mrmgg

aplinker
06-05-2007, 1:46 AM
I did a search on tank and magnifier and you're the only reference for it. I know I've heard people talk about this before. Can you post a link to what they're using on CTD?

Thanks.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-mpo-multi-purpose-optic-holographic-system-hws-557-4x.html

Unless you have a $1000 to spend on everything then going with either should be find. I've seen a couple of guys use the cheap tank magnifier CTD sells and it seems to work fine.

50 Freak
06-05-2007, 4:04 AM
It is the panzerfaust 44 anti-tank scope. It is 2 power and is really very well made by Hendsoldt (which is one of the finest glass makers in the world).

Look around, they are getting harder to find. They used to run about $30 to $75 bucks.

donger
06-05-2007, 6:32 AM
I don't get the magnifiers for the red dot systems.

Just get an ACOG and be done with it. I understand the flexibility in such a system but the weight of both combined has to out-weigh the the advantages.

Teletiger7
06-05-2007, 8:59 AM

Just get an ACOG and be done with it. I understand the flexibility in such a system but the weight of both combined has to out-weigh the the advantages.

I think you answered your own question. Flexibility. A set-up that can do alot all at once without having to change your gear around all the time.

Teletiger7
06-05-2007, 9:32 AM

The weight of the Eotech red dot=11.7 oz
Weight of the X4 magnifier with flip to side mount=16.5 oz

Total weight=28.2 oz=1.7625 lb.s

So it adds about 2 pounds to your rifle.

Scarecrow Repair
06-05-2007, 9:55 AM

I am sufficiently near sighted that open sights beyond about 100 feet are too vague to be any fun. I need some kind of optics, either a scope, or red dot, or whatever, if I want to choose what part of the barn door to hit.

PistolPete75
06-05-2007, 10:09 AM
eotech works good on moving targets. if your gonna benchrest it, get a nice scope instead.

the eotech set up with the 4x magnifier is gonna cost you some dough. for the same amount you can get a nice, nice scope that would be more practical for benchresting, hunting, etc.

last weekend, my bro in law shot a running rabbit at 200 yards with an eotech!

wildcard
06-05-2007, 10:43 AM
eotech works good on moving targets. if your gonna benchrest it, get a nice scope instead.

the eotech set up with the 4x magnifier is gonna cost you some dough. for the same amount you can get a nice, nice scope that would be more practical for benchresting, hunting, etc.

last weekend, my bro in law shot a running rabbit at 200 yards with an eotech!

That was a friggin incredible shot! We should have chopped off its foot too.. but I don't think anyone was down to get bloody/ dirty. I would have normally skinned those little bastards. Put 10 together and you'll have a small but warm blanket! Wait till we go hunting..

But going back on topic.. the standard Eotech is plenty sufficient for a multitude of applications.. though there may be better tools for a specific task. If you need magnification with the capability versatility of non-magnified, I'd just pick up a variable power CQB optic like the Leupold or IOR.

EricCartmann
06-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I like this set up!

I love ACOGs but I still think EoTechs are the best for M4 type AR's. As mentioned nothing better for CQB than an Eotech. That 65 MOA outer ring is easy to identify and the red middle dot can be used for precision work for targets out to 100 yards.

That would be the ultimate if you have a magnified Eotech, then once you get within 50 yards you can use just the Eotech. Also as mentioned just a Eotech with no magnification works the best with moving targets. When you have that big 65 MOA outer ring there, you can just concentrate on the target and not the dot.

Jicko
06-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Does the new magnifier works with older EOTechs? ie. 552.A65?

PS. I shoot 3 guns matches with my EOTech, no problems with plates out to 300yds....

Teletiger7
06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Does the new magnifier works with older EOTechs? ie. 552.A65?

PS. I shoot 3 guns matches with my EOTech, no problems with plates out to 300yds....

Yes. They say it works on ALL eotechs.

SuperSet
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
If it works with all EOTechs, I'm thinking that the magnifier has a centering function since different mounting options raise the optic different heights above bore.
I'd love to get the 4X option but $800 is a chunk of change. You'll have to decide if it's worth the extra $600 for the 1.5X magnification when compared to the Larue-Hensoldt magnifier combo.

Teletiger7
06-05-2007, 9:11 PM
If it works with all EOTechs, I'm thinking that the magnifier has a centering function since different mounting options raise the optic different heights above bore.
I'd love to get the 4X option but $800 is a chunk of change. You'll have to decide if it's worth the extra $600 for the 1.5X magnification when compared to the Larue-Hensoldt magnifier combo.

Not sure if it has a "centering" function. Maybe you just have to get a mount that puts it at center of your red-dot, like the Aimpoint magnifier.

What really makes me wonder is why the X4 magnifier looks so different than their X3 magnifier(more like aimpoint style).

SuperSet
06-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Not sure if it has a "centering" function. Maybe you just have to get a mount that puts it at center of your red-dot, like the Aimpoint magnifier.

What really makes me wonder is why the X4 magnifier looks so different than their X3 magnifier(more like aimpoint style).

Just from what I've seen, there are a few height differences:

In order of lowest to highest:
1. Mounted directly to the flattop except 553
2. With LaRue EOTech mount
3. With YHM Riser
4. EOTech 553

I'm sure the difference will be slight but it's noticeable when looking through the magnified view. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

To answer your question about the 4X, it's heavier because of its body size and the dual lens system. It's supposed to be on par with the ACOG as far as optical clarity.

This guy wrote up some stuff on his pre-production 4X magnifier with some pics:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5374

50 Freak
06-08-2007, 4:02 PM
I have one of those Hensoldt magnifier with the tank reticle taken out (so it's completely clear) If anyone wants to buy it for $60 bucks shipped, let me know. It's the 2x magnifier.

I'd keep it but already have 4. I absoutely love it with my EoTech mounted on my AR.

Clodbuster
06-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Eotech is suppose to be making an integrated sight /magnifiier. If you don't have an Eotech yet, it would be better to wait. The setup of the new sight looks much cleaner.

Magnifier for the holosight doesn't make much sense in my opinion. The main purpose of the holosight is rapid acquisition and target engagement with BOTH eyes open. You can't do that when one eye is at 4x.

Clod

I'm purchasing an Eotech HWS. And i'm also thinking of getting a magnifier. I want the ability to go from close to mid-range with my AR. Anybody have experience with one? Does it increase your ability to see clerly at farther distances. Any advice or recommendations? Since I'm getting an Eotech i willl probably get an eotech magnifier as well, but is there a reason to get an aimpoint magnifier instead?

Scarecrow Repair
06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Magnifier for the holosight doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Us nearsighted folk need all the help we can get, and a magnifier which can flip in and out of view is a godsend.

aplinker
06-12-2007, 9:48 AM
Eotech is suppose to be making an integrated sight /magnifiier. If you don't have an Eotech yet, it would be better to wait. The setup of the new sight looks much cleaner.

Magnifier for the holosight doesn't make much sense in my opinion. The main purpose of the holosight is rapid acquisition and target engagement with BOTH eyes open. You can't do that when one eye is at 4x.

Clod

The only difference between the 557 (Eotech and magnifier) and adding the 4X magnifier to a current Eotech is the location of the brightness switches on the new one -- so they're not behind the magnifier. Otherwise it's the same. The set-up looks "cleaner" because they're squished near eachother, seen here (notice the switches on the side):

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/opticsplanet_1949_217383998

EricCartmann
06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
The only difference between the 557 (Eotech and magnifier) and adding the 4X magnifier to a current Eotech is the location of the brightness switches on the new one -- so they're not behind the magnifier. Otherwise it's the same. The set-up looks "cleaner" because they're squished near eachother, seen here (notice the switches on the side):

Dam that set up really looks kick ***! I like Eotechs and being able to magnify it anytime you want is the ultimate. It is an expensive set up but is pretty much on par with an ACOG only set up.

Clodbuster
06-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Yes, but those brightness switches are the ones that also turn the unit on and off... You'll have to flip the magnifier out of the way otherwise.

Clod

Teletiger7
06-12-2007, 3:39 PM
Eotech is busy filling military orders. SWFA and opticsplanet don't expect the 557 to be available untill mid July.

aplinker
06-12-2007, 3:58 PM
Mid-July is 4 weeks away and that's the date they've been quoting since January. Who knows if they'll actually start rolling out then.

IMHO it's a nice set-up with a lot of flexibility. It's actually two separate pieces -- the EOTech and the magnifier on the mount. Clodbuster is right, of course the switches were moved there so you could adjust without moving the magnifier out of the way (or taking it off if you use the twist-off).

The reticle of the 557 also has a BDC, as shown here:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/opticsplanet_1949_217085673

Eotech is busy filling military orders. SWFA and opticsplanet don't expect the 557 to be available untill mid July.

EricCartmann
06-12-2007, 4:00 PM
The reticle of the 557 also has a BDC.....

oooooh, BDC... *droooooool

Teletiger7
06-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Some folks on ARF.com prefer to use the aimpoint magnifier for the eotech. They say the new eotech magnifier is not as "good" as the aimpoint.

Here's a link to what a eo with the AP magX3 looks like:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=271375&page=10

grywlfbg
06-15-2007, 1:48 PM

Quoting SMGLee on ARFCOM, the 557 is actually a little taller than the older ones for 2 reasons. First, to allow you to run the nose of the battery box over the handguard (so you can move it far enough forward to make room for the magnifier and a flip BUIS) and second to allow enough height for the flip-mount mechanism on the magnifier.

So as I understand it, you'll need a small riser on your non-557 sight to have it mate up w/ the EOTech magnifiers.

I have the 2X Hensholdt setup now:

http://www.one-ring.net/pics/mmgrip.jpg

LaRue has a sexier option w/ one of their flip mounts and a 2X Hensoldt mag (w/ the tank silhouettes removed): http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=131

But I've decided I'm going to go w/ a 557 and 3X flip-mount (and move my existing 512 to my M1 Carbine or other AR). I don't like the ACOG idea because then you have to have a red-dot on top for CQB work and now your red-dot is like 5 inches above your barrel. Seems like a recipe for WIDE variations between 3-50 meters from POA to POI.

The flip-magnifier idea appeals to me as it's the best of both world (TRUE 1X unlike the Meopta's, Millets, Elcans, etc.) and a magnified optic in one.

Also, for USPSA, an ACOG and red-dot is treated as two separate sights which puts you in the open class. One sight plus a magnifier is still only one sight.

maxicon
04-04-2008, 4:41 PM
At the risk of setting off the anti-Chinese rants, there's a longish thread over at arfcom about the clone magnifiers from ebay:
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=369110

If you're going into combat with this, you should probably avoid oddball stuff, but if you want to try out a magnifier at the range without spending $300+ on it (I've got Leupold 3-9 scopes that cost half of that!), it's something to think about.

Nobody's been able to explain yet why a fixed 3x or 4x magnifier with no mount or adjustments should be so expensive.

trinydex
04-04-2008, 5:26 PM
eye relief is supposedly good on aimpoint 3x

eye relief is bad on the tank optic apparently, based on quote from grywlfbg in another thread.

Here's mine. EOTech 512 w/ 2.5X Hensoldt magnifier on a 1337tactical.com mount. Magnifier is milsurp from a Panzerfaust ($50 w/ the mount).

It works pretty well but eye relief is terrible. I'm waiting for the new Elcan Specter. Xeno, how do you like yours?

http://www.one-ring.net/pics/mmgrip.jpg

eye relief is less than that of aimpoint for the eotech.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=992206

perhaps this is why acogs are so expensive too?

aplinker
04-04-2008, 8:16 PM
The Hensholdts have zero relief, practically...

I'm much more impressed by the Aimpoint magnifiers. Enough I bought it over the EOTech... definitely skip the 4x as it's really only 0.5X stronger.

I agree that this is one time the money seems ridiculous on the magnifier. Mineral glass still costs money, but the alignment is less stringent, no return to zero or reticles to be adjusted, etc. etc. That these magnifiers cost as much as a Trijicon Accupoint is hogwash.

Give a run on the knock-offs... I bought one that wasn't supposed to have trademark issues (looks different, no writing), but it ended up being an exact copy with logos of the Aimpoint. I'm not happy about that. Cost $80 and the glass is pretty clear, but the relief is less than I'd want.

trinydex
04-04-2008, 11:15 PM
yeah, it seems most of the knockoff reviews are ignoring eye relief which is really the only difference between the two expensive ones... if you don't care about eye relief might as well get the rocket launcher optic.

maxicon
04-05-2008, 7:03 PM
Yeah, the problem with eye relief is it's difficult to measure objectively, and the subjective comparisons you get on most reviews aren't very precise. Most official eye relief specs are from the manufacturer's design parameters.

I made up a fixture for measuring eye relief a while back, and it's still hard to get an accurate, reliable number.

trinydex
04-05-2008, 7:08 PM
usually back to back comparisons are reliable thought right? this one has more or less than that one?

is it safe to "know" that the aimpoint has more eye relief than the eotech magnifier?

maxicon
04-06-2008, 9:33 AM
Yes, internet consensus is about as good as it gets, and can be very helpful, especially at high-traffic sites like arfcom.

The problem is for people who don't have experience with either one (like me) - one person's idea of good eye relief may not be the same as mine, and even though one's better than the other, both may be too tight (I need a good bit of eye relief typically).

Not that it matters to me - there's no way I'm spending that kind of money on a simple fixed magnifier. I'm looking at the clones for some testing, but again, it's hard to say if the eye relief will work for me or not.

grywlfbg
04-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, as you can tell from the picture above I bought one of the EOTech 3X magnifiers. I looked through both the Aimpoint and EOTech magnifiers and I couldn't tell any different at all in clarity or eye relief. That being said, the EOTech flip-mount is kinda crappy. I would definitely not take this thing into combat. The problem is it relies on a spring to keep the magnifier out of the way. If that spring breaks you're screwed.

Prior to buying the EOTech 3X I put my Hensoldt into the LaRue flip-mount and it freaking rocks. Only problem is that the way the mount is designed you can't use it w/ the EOTech magnifier :(

So if I had it to do over again I'd get the Aimpoint 3X and this LaRue mount:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=171

aplinker
04-06-2008, 4:22 PM
I'm of the opinion that nothing beats that mount. That it only works with Aimpoint further solidifies my opinion that the Aimpoint magnifier is the one to pick. the AP is also a slightly better choice in and of itself.

Hey guys, as you can tell from the picture above I bought one of the EOTech 3X magnifiers. I looked through both the Aimpoint and EOTech magnifiers and I couldn't tell any different at all in clarity or eye relief. That being said, the EOTech flip-mount is kinda crappy. I would definitely not take this thing into combat. The problem is it relies on a spring to keep the magnifier out of the way. If that spring breaks you're screwed.

Prior to buying the EOTech 3X I put my Hensoldt into the LaRue flip-mount and it freaking rocks. Only problem is that the way the mount is designed you can't use it w/ the EOTech magnifier :(

So if I had it to do over again I'd get the Aimpoint 3X and this LaRue mount:

zemperfi1971
04-11-2008, 11:56 PM
If money is no object then the Elcan Spectre dr. I own two (trying to rid myself of one). I've used all of them folks. My first was the AIMPOINT COMP then Trijicon ACOG. This beats them all. Just the clarity of the optic rivals or betters Trijicon plus has a wider view then both. No need for magnifiers. People are saying online how zero misaligns when you switch from 1X-4X. That's a bunch of bullcrud. Do you think SOCOM would buy them if that were true after all the testing?

http://www.elcan.com/ELCAN_News/Bulletins/070403_SOCOM.php

socalarmy
04-26-2008, 7:12 PM
I have the SA Socom II without the extended rail cluster. my problem is I have an Eotech 552 and i want to get a magnifier for it. LaRue Tac makes a mount the fits it perfectly on the stripper clip guide, but that would put the magnifier about 2 inches away from the eotech. Does anyone have a similar setup? If so can you tell me if you can still see through it clearly?

socalarmy
04-26-2008, 7:17 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/socalhustle/leads.jpg
I have seen this setup with an AimPoint but was not sure if it works with the Eotech by having the magnifier so far away from it and i dont want to spend the money on it and have it not work for me

aplinker
04-26-2008, 8:04 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/socalhustle/leads.jpg
I have seen this setup with an AimPoint but was not sure if it works with the Eotech by having the magnifier so far away from it and i dont want to spend the money on it and have it not work for me

Doesn't matter how far back the magnifier is, really (within reason).

They essentially work independently.

That's the only way to rig up a SOCOM II without a full top rail.

He should've used the flip-to-side LaRue, though.

socalarmy
04-28-2008, 1:09 PM
thats awesome to know. thanks a lot. but if they used the FTS mount you dont think it would get in the way of the operating handle? and one more thing. does anyone know if i will have to make any hieght adjustments with the these mounts?

Josh3239
04-28-2008, 1:34 PM
I used to have the Hendsolt magnifier on a LaRue flip-to-side mount coupled with an EO tech. Honestly, I didn't like it much. For one, it added more weight to the rifle. I am a small guy so the smallest addition in weight affects me. I realized I was taking a short, light weight carbine and adding on useless weight and size, it didn't make sense to me personally.

My biggest gripe with the magnifier was that I was killing all the great features the EO Tech had to offer. The EO Tech has no tunnel vision (it isn't a tube) or constricted vision of any kind, it has no blind spots, there is no potruding battery compartments or knobs, no mounting rings, it is the definition of 2 eye open shooting, it is a true HUD with unlimited eye relief and you can quickly put the target in your reticle.

I know I am in the minority with these thoughts, but I have owned an EOTech and a magnifier with a FTS mount. I know lots of people like the combination, I personally don't like it. I have the same feelings with regards to co witnessing, but that is a whole other issue. My opinion is if you are planning on doing long range shooting get yourself a real scope, don't dance around it by purchasing an EOTech with a magnifier. An EOTech is everything a scope isn't, it makes no sense to try to turn it into one.

Anyways, just my $0.02

socalarmy
04-28-2008, 2:25 PM
well i allready have the eotech and i do not plan on shooting anyout farther then about 3 or 4 hundred M's away with a 16" barrel on my SOCOM II so a magnifier is the direction i am going. but i appreciate your opinion

socalarmy
04-28-2008, 3:14 PM
Can you use an Aimpoint Magnifier with an eotech? I like the way that one looks a little better then the Eotech.

SuperSet
04-28-2008, 3:22 PM
Can you use an Aimpoint Magnifier with an eotech? I like the way that one looks a little better then the Eotech.

Yes, you can but the mounts are different. The Aimpoint magnifier, or clones, use a standard 30mm tube and you slip the magnifier right in there. For some odd reason, L3 decided to design the EOTech magnifier with a weird bulge at the front and then recess down to 30mm for the mount. So, it only fits the EOTech magnifier mount.. so dumb.

trinydex
04-28-2008, 3:26 PM

yes you can. the the larue mount for the aimpoint will have to be lower version for 512 552 eotechs but the normal one will be correct height for 557 eotechs.

socalarmy
04-28-2008, 3:36 PM
How good are these clones? does anyone own one. I am worried about the way i will mount it as seen in the pic i posted above i will have to use a Cartridge Clip Guide Scope Mount Base from Fulton Armory so i am worried about how it will line up with my eotech mounted on my SOCOM II

trinydex
04-28-2008, 3:39 PM
read page 4

lockednloaded
04-28-2008, 7:56 PM
yes you can. the the larue mount for the aimpoint will have to be lower version for 512 552 eotechs but the normal one will be correct height for 557 eotechs.

I have an eotech 512 and was interested in buying an aimpoint with the larue mount but where is the lower version for the mount?

trinydex
04-28-2008, 8:33 PM
you must call in and order it or order the tall one and call in and ask them to change it to the short one. (i did the latter)

lockednloaded
04-28-2008, 8:48 PM

Thats the mount right?

trinydex
04-28-2008, 8:55 PM
the pivot yes.

aplinker
04-29-2008, 12:58 AM
FYI, there's going to be a difference in height between the two scope mounts (the scout rail and the clip guide rail).

socalarmy
04-29-2008, 4:42 AM
so what should I do to resolve the difference in height between the scout rail and the clip guide rail? I want to purchase the right setup considering the money I will be shelling out so I appreciate any help I can get.

dwa
05-03-2008, 2:37 PM
i personally love EOtechs, ive never had chance to try the magnifiyer, but looking at it i dont like it. it doesnt seem very practical but i havent had a chance to play with it so i dont really know. for combat as a vertern it doesnt look very durable but for playing at the range it seems like it would be fine. trijucon makes some red dots that attach ontop of the acog if that apeals to you. red dot for reation fireing, acog for anything you have more time to aim at or further away. its an ideal setup that was very practical in iraq, i used something similar but with an iron sight, some of my friends had the red dot. the elcan sight metion earlier seemed pretty interesting the m145 model for mgs i have experiance with and theyre good optics. think about the acog w/ red dot. if you can try to handle a variety of sights before your going to make a decsion if you have access to them.

socalarmy
05-05-2008, 9:26 AM
I am also a vetran and i have used all those optics inus the Elcan. i love my ACOG but i cant mount it on my SOCOM II so i got an EOTECH

trinydex
05-10-2008, 1:46 AM
i just received my aimpoint 3x magnifer and i'm shocked at how far my eye can be away from the lens (or has to be so far away) the image is nice and large, fills the entire lens, everything is very bright. i'd say without having a fakepoint that the real deal is hard to improve upon. anything less would probably be a compromise.

Stanze
05-10-2008, 9:18 PM
Welp, I bought this from eBay the other day for about 44 bucks shipped.

A clone magnifier and mount: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350047421477

I like my EoTech setup now with YHM riser, but will prolly install this for ****s and grins and play around with it, see how I like it before considering buying real one.

socalarmy
05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey Stanze,
If you recieved it allready is there anything you can tell me about it as far as a review? Have you fired your rifle with it mounted yet? how did it handle the shock?...well anything you can tell me about it would be much appreciated.

Stanze
05-11-2008, 2:58 PM
Hey Stanze,
If you recieved it allready is there anything you can tell me about it as far as a review? Have you fired your rifle with it mounted yet? how did it handle the shock?...well anything you can tell me about it would be much appreciated.

I haven't got it yet, the seller contacted me shortly after the sale to confirm shipping address. So far, so good on customer service. I reckon if it sucks, it's only 44 bucks. *shrugs*

socalarmy
05-12-2008, 3:49 PM
yeah i hear that

Stanze
05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7908/0529080916azmo1.jpg

Welp, I got my Made in China magnifier and twist off mount direct from China today via USPO registered mail.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7907/0529081017avg5.jpg

I was anxious to install it and try it out, and on thing was apparent: No matter what magnifier you buy; save up and buy the LaRue FTS mount. The supplied twist off mount was too low to accommodate my A.R.M.S. #40L BUIS therefore positioning it too far forward which made ideal eye relief a challenge. It was still usable, but I had to scoot forward to see my target. I left the EoTech on the YHM EoTech riser to get a co-witness when the Magnifier is off. If you don't mount the magnifier on the ring all the way back on the scope rings you'll scratch it when you twist it off the supplied mount. I found this out the hard way.

All in all, other than the low mount, I found the quality of the magnifier to be good, the glass is clear with no noticeable distortion.

I find the magnifier and mount to be an excellent value for around 44 bucks shipped.:)

I may buy the LaRue/Hendsoldt mag/FTS combo for $195 when I get the money, if there are any left (limited supply), I've heard good things about the German glass on arf.com.

trinydex
05-29-2008, 12:18 PM
any comments on eye relief?

Stanze
05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
any comments on eye relief?

I imagine it'd be pretty decent if I had a LaRue FTS to clear my BUIS. As it's mounted now, I have to scrunch up to the charging handle.

socalarmy
05-29-2008, 6:02 PM
where did you order it from again? i want to try it out for myself

Stanze
06-05-2008, 6:16 PM
where did you order it from again? i want to try it out for myself

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350047421477

Delfunk2015
06-10-2008, 9:59 PM
If anyone is interested in getting a cheap flip to side style mount for your magnifiers, heres a place, (and i think it opens up to fit a eotech style magnifier but im not sure) http://airsoftglobal.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=pivot+mount&x=0&y=0

SuperSet
06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
That looks interesting and since it's a 2-piece mount, it should fit that clone 5X magnifier just fine. But how are you going to center the dot in the magnifier? IIRC, the Aimpoint magnifier is the only one that has hex screws to center the view.

trinydex
06-10-2008, 11:17 PM
wow that's a total larue knockoff

lockednloaded
06-25-2008, 6:58 PM
If using an Eotech 553 with aimpoint 3x magnifyer I would need the normal LaRue mount for the aimpoint magnifyer is that correct?

SuperSet
06-25-2008, 7:03 PM
If using an Eotech 553 with aimpoint 3x magnifyer I would need the normal LaRue mount for the aimpoint magnifyer is that correct?

Correct, you need the standard height mount.

xcrunner805
07-15-2008, 7:01 PM
I have a Eotech 557, what height would I need the either Eotech sight or flip to side mount w/ magnifier in order to cover the whole Eotech view?

SuperSet
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
If you buy either the authentic EOTech 3X or 4X magnifiers with integral mount, they will correctly match the height for your 557 model. If you go with the Aimpoint magnifier clone, use the LaRue standard pivot mount. I used this setup for a while before moving to a variable scope and it works fine.

ENTHUSIAST
07-16-2008, 3:11 AM
Ummm... does the guy with the single digit posts have to point out that NO one has thought to mention yet that even a GENUINE (NOT an "el cheapo" knockoff) Eotech 3x Magnifier is made in ......CHINA :eek:

While the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier is made in...SWEDEN:rolleyes:

I believe that is why LaRue ONLY sells Aimpoint Magnifiers and NOT Eotech ***Air-Soft Grade-CHINESE Made-Garbage*** Magnifiers as an option for their QD mounts... if you go with the Eotech 3x Magnifier know there is a BIG difference in QUALITY look on the box for the "Made in ....".:detective:

LaRue lists on their website the "Piggyback" style but be aware that with this double mounting method it raises the EOTech 1/2 inch above the rail when mounted, and not only negatively affects your cheek weld, but limits your ability to co-witness with the iron sights.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/ikeepitmoving/eo3x1.jpg?t=1216205856

P.S. If you call LaRue and ask real NICE they will sell you a LaRue Tactical 30mm Pivot -->LOW<-- Mount QD LT649(S) IIRC *NOT even listed on their website* which will co-witness the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier PERFECTLY to an Eotech 552 Made in the Good Ol' USA. :patriot:

SIGscout
08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I just picked up my new SIG 556, and I have been thinking of getting a HUD setup for a long time. With all the previous posts and replys I feel like going with Aimpoint due to the eye relief and "pivot" mount.
I was just hoping for some feed back, maybe some1 else with a 556?
-been a long time reader, new member

SIGscout
08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Looking around at other posts I found these that all vary slightly depending on what your going for but I wanted to see what "the all knowing" thaught about these, thanks in advance.
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brandlisting?brandid=1393

trinydex
08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1434582&postcount=6

SIGscout
08-15-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1434582&postcount=6

excellent, thank you very much. The C3 looks like the best buy, BUT you have to still buy a mount? so you add another $150 for http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=171 ? :kest:

SIGscout
08-15-2008, 12:49 PM
excellent, thank you very much. The C3 looks like the best buy, BUT you have to still buy a mount? so you add another $150 for http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=171 ? :kest:

then ofcorse theres the http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17950 side of things. where I dont like to hear that it doesnt reset to zero and f's up the POI... so WTF? are all pivoting/ moveable sights going to do this? Is it only recomendedd to use a pivot on your magnifier?

trinydex
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
i don't have any comment on aimpoints, but most people get the m3/4 or ml2/3. those are the ones i see for sale the most. and you should look in private for sale classifieds. there's a few right now for good bargains.

the pivot is meant for the magnifier which is a non zeroing item. i don't think optics should be mounted on something that moves, even the front handguard isn't good enough for optics (for the picky).

aplinker
08-16-2008, 12:07 PM
then ofcorse theres the http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17950 side of things. where I dont like to hear that it doesnt reset to zero and f's up the POI... so WTF? are all pivoting/ moveable sights going to do this? Is it only recomendedd to use a pivot on your magnifier?

I think you're very confused.

When using a magnifier behind an Aimpoint that flip-to-side mount is perfectly appropriate because the magnifier doesn't need to be exactly lined up (the Aimpoint compensates for your eye or the magnifier not being centered in the tube).

If you were to mount an actual optic (Aimpoint, scope, anything that has a reticle) in a flip-to-side mount you would not maintain zero.

The CompC3 should NOT be mounted in that. It should be securely mounted to the flat-top.

lehn20
08-28-2008, 2:24 AM
the price difference in the 3x and 4x is because of the quality of glass. The 3x have cheap foreign glass and the 4x have nice US made good quality glass.

T

dhawkins
01-12-2009, 8:37 AM
Sorry to resurface this thread...what I have read has been very informative. I have a SOCOM II without the extended rail. Trying to make it work with EoTech 557 and 3X magnifier. There were some pictures on page five of a back mount - can someone please tell me where I can purchase one of these for my setup (I have tried the rail extenders and they feel too high for me adding another 1/2" to 5/8." Any help folks can provide as to where I can purchase one of these would be well appreciated.

SIGscout
01-21-2009, 9:42 AM
Ok so a few months ago I picked up the EOTEC 557 with the 3x multiplyer.
while Im 95% happy with everything...except the halo is very hard to see in "bright" outdoors conditions. I had braught my Sig 556 camping after sighting in at the range the previous week, well it worked for up-close while in the shade of trees shooting at targets 75+ yards in the sun was disapointing, so I took the whole thing off and used the iron sights... wich was a fantastic idea. Even did this with the 3x on although it took some playing with to see where i was at.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn326/engineermm/55.jpg

with add on Bi-pod, touch sencitive foregrip lithiom light, and single point sling

trinydex
01-21-2009, 10:27 AM
even on the highest brightness settings you can't see?

SIGscout
01-21-2009, 3:47 PM
even on the highest brightness settings you can't see?

Honestly it been a few months, but no, as far as I can remember. As soon as I get under direct bright sunlight I couldnt see the dot fully.There was a very dim dot but I had to focus on it so much to see it I wouldn't have had any accuracy. At the time I even wondered if the batteries were weakening, thats why I just took it off so I could actually get some accuracy. which worked well, we were shooting clay piegons @ 50yards under some tall connifers when I could see the dot, then @ 150 yards different location under no cover the dot "ghosted". Which tecnically makes no sence if the batteries were good.
I am going snow camping this weekend so I will use fresh batteries and see wtf is going on.

trinydex
01-21-2009, 9:28 PM
i actually just checked right now on mine. i see what you mean. with direct lamplight i can barely make out the ring and definitely not the dot. is this why higher power scopes have sunshades?

SIGscout
01-22-2009, 5:35 AM
i actually just checked right now on mine. i see what you mean. with direct lamplight i can barely make out the ring and definitely not the dot. is this why higher power scopes have sunshades?

yeah, a guy at my work who's really into reloading and all the very "techy" stuff has a sunshade that he can add to his scope. It has two parts, first is about six inches and then you can add another four to that by screw threads.
For hunting at "dusk" or aiming at a target in bright sun.....
But I still want to use the EOTec.. I just need to buy another AR or maybe a SOCOM II. But after buying the Sig 556, the eotec, a S&W 1911 Crimsion Trace, and a X-box 360 when I was sick for a few days, I'm kinda out of "toy buying" money.