PDA

View Full Version : Why do you have a concealed weapons permit?

Rangem4
07-24-2012, 7:34 AM
I was up in Seattle visiting some friends with my wife. Great people but they are liberal whack-jobs. I still love them dearly so don't get me wrong because I am a right wing nut-job and we get along just fine.
Anyway "D" asked me "why do you have a concealed weapons permit and don't tell me, because you can".
Interesting comment. I responded, what do you think would happen if we just stopped voting even though we can?
My point is in my beloved Butte County I am blessed with the opportunity to hold a CCW. I went through the process for many reasons and one of them was because I can. If the Sheriff had no applications for CCW's I would venture to think he may not offer the opportunity for long.
So, my response to "D" was "because I can".
She will never understand anyway.
I have read through many of the forums contained in this site. I have become a contributing member because just like the NRA we need to support organizations that make a difference and truly promote our gun rights.
Thank you Calguns!

sfpcservice
07-24-2012, 7:41 AM
Just say "to defend myself against a tryanical government".... I find people stop with the incessant questions just after I say this.

Farrier-1
07-24-2012, 7:42 AM
My reason? Because I can and . . . . It's my right!

surfguy
07-24-2012, 7:43 AM
I can't. The sheriff here has said he doesn't want a bunch of people walking around with guns. I do believe the population of Santa Cruz increases significantly on weekends and all summer. Most of those visitors come from inland counties and some have to be LTCers, some pimps and drug dealers. In any case, I'd prefer armed, liscensed citizens over the armed criminals. In my opinion it brings balance and makes those intent on crime a little more cautious.

Jason_2111
07-24-2012, 7:45 AM
"For when a samoan on meth decides he wants to cave my head in with a tire iron... that's why."

Intimid8tor
07-24-2012, 7:50 AM
Because I can is part of it.

The other parts are.

It's like insurance. I hope I never use it, but it is there just in case.

Also, I never want to be in a position to say I WISH I had my gun or if I only had my gun.

There is evil in the world and you don't ever know where it is going to come. Just ask the folks in Aurora.

die2surf
07-24-2012, 7:51 AM
...because Kalifornia passes unconstituional laws that force me to have a permit to carry at all.

I think the real question she is asking is "Why do you carry a gun?"

Carnivore
07-24-2012, 7:52 AM
To be legal when I am carrying from the home to car, car to range etc. With out it any cop with a axe to grind can sight me or worse of even have the gun. Now not the real reason but if is better then the whole self defense because some people think the cops are there for that and the others that "because I can" relates to them as sticking it to the man. Then again I never tell anyone that doesn't have a CCW that I carry.

mag360
07-24-2012, 8:10 AM
For the same reason you might have a fire extinguisher .

BajaJames83
07-24-2012, 8:15 AM
Because I can is part of it.

The other parts are.

It's like insurance. I hope I never use it, but it is there just in case.

Also, I never want to be in a position to say I WISH I had my gun or if I only had my gun.

There is evil in the world and you don't ever know where it is going to come. Just ask the folks in Aurora.

this...
you never know...

PackingHeatInSDCA
07-24-2012, 9:49 AM
because I can't carry a police officer

Jack L
07-24-2012, 9:52 AM

^^^A+^^^

CitaDeL
07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Because some people that dye their hair red and shoot up movie theaters should be stopped with force regardless of the wishes of the anti-gun zealots.

The War Wagon
07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Self-defense. What other reason is necessary?

NotEnufGarage
07-24-2012, 10:34 AM
My reason? Because I can and . . . . It's my right!

Just say "to defend myself against a tryanical government".... I find people stop with the incessant questions just after I say this.

"For when a samoan on meth decides he wants to cave my head in with a tire iron... that's why."

Self-defense. What other reason is necessary?

All of the above...

I usually start with the last one and that pretty much ends it right there. I phrase it differently, though... "Because a police officer is too heavy."

GrizFyrFyter
07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
i dont have one at the moment, i live in San Joaquin County...so i probably wont have one anytime soon.

but, i agree, "because i can" is justification enough in my eye.

also, i think of it like a Fire Shelter. Many of the guys and gals out there fighting fires compain about wearing one because they do weigh a lot and they are required to have it. that being said, i cant think of a single one that would leave it behind if he or she had a choice. it is far better to have it and never use it than need it and not have it. We (as firefighters) do everything in our power to avoid situations that would require us to use a fire shelter for survival but we would not hesitate once that situation has arrived. i have no doubt the same mindset is applied to carrying a firearm.

leadstorm
07-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Personal responsibility.

I feel responsible for my own and my family's protection.

hvengel
07-24-2012, 10:49 AM
How about our duty as citizens per the founders?

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824.

According to Thomas Jefferson it is our DUTY to always be armed. Based on this anyone not armed is not doing their duty as a citizen.

PackingHeatInSDCA
07-24-2012, 10:59 AM
perhaps it's best to ask her to watch the testimony of Suzanna Gratia Hupp, a woman who survived the Luby's masacure in 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

PressCheck
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
My standard response to the question is " Because the Sheriff said I could."

Scotty
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Because criminals carry illegally.

mdimeo
07-24-2012, 12:37 PM

I can attest that fire extinguisher is a good argument, by which I mean I've actually seen it change someone's mind (this was about guns in the home, but it applies reasonably well to carry).

Police response times are useful in an argument too, and feeds in well with the fire extinguisher analogy.

I can't imagine that "Because I can" ever convinced anyone that anything was a good idea.

LHC30
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Because I am a sheepdog.

ASTMedic
07-24-2012, 1:05 PM
Same reason I wear a seatbelt. I can't predict when bad things will happen and bad things can happen to anybody at anytime. If I could predict the future I'd only carry when I knew I was going to need it and I'd only wear a seatbelt when I knew I was going to be in a wreck.

mmayer707
07-24-2012, 1:17 PM
^^^^ Well put ^^^^^

Ctwo
07-24-2012, 1:20 PM
I think the only reason to carry is for defensive purposes, unless you are hunting or target shooting...

bohoki
07-24-2012, 1:21 PM
in case i want to carry a gun

MudCamper
07-24-2012, 1:23 PM

QFT. This analogy works best with most people. It's a piece of emergency equipment that in all probability you will not need, but if you do, you'll be damn glad you have it. And even most non-gunnies own a couple fire extinguishers. If they don't they're probably a lost cause anyway.

Some may argue that you only need a fire extinguisher in your home, and likewise that should apply to guns, but I point out that I carry a fire extinguisher in all of my vehicles as well. I also point out that people that do not keep extinguishers handy are being irresponsible, and that failure to at least own a gun is a similar failure of civic duty.

A-J
07-24-2012, 1:42 PM
Why do dogs lick their own balls?

ASTMedic
07-24-2012, 1:48 PM
I also like:

A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it you'll never need it again.

GrizFyrFyter
07-24-2012, 1:59 PM
I also like:

A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it you'll never need it again.

Well put.

tpuig
07-24-2012, 2:08 PM
You don't need a fire extinguisher, that's what the Fire Dept is for. Only the Fire dept and military should have fire extinguishers... ;-)

Paladin
07-24-2012, 2:29 PM
Because, at least the way I was raised, guys are responsible for the provision and protection of the family (as well as himself).

38 Examples of LTCers saving lives:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=598875

Look thru this list of LTCers saving lives. Note how in not one instance did they know ahead of time that they'd need their LTC that day. In other words, acc to CA's anti sheriffs, they did not have sufficient "Good Cause" for carrying a handgun on the day that they actually needed one!

"Be prepared" is a lifestyle, an everyday thing, not an occasional thing....

Moderators: this thread probably belongs over in the LTC Discussion forum, not the 2nd A Legal & Political forum.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179

ASTMedic
07-24-2012, 2:34 PM
Look thru this list of LTCers saving lives. Note how in not one instance did they know ahead of time that they'd need their LTC that day. In other words, acc to CA's anti sheriffs, they did not have a "Good Cause" for carrying a handgun on the day that they actually needed one!

Love this statement. That's why I like the "self defense is good cause" mind set of my county and most of the surrounding counties.

Blackhawk556
07-24-2012, 2:39 PM
Yup! If you tell people they can't own fire extinguishers because only the fire department can own then I'm sure that will get them thinking.

You don't need a fire extinguisher, that's what the Fire Dept is for. Only the Fire dept and military should have fire extinguishers... ;-)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

safewaysecurity
07-24-2012, 2:42 PM
Because I value life more than you apparently.

Kappy
07-24-2012, 2:48 PM
1. I've been stalked via telephone, and the stalker routinely threatened my life off and on for a few months.
2. The day you decide you need a permit is the day you're least likely to be able to get one.
3. Why do you carry a spare tire?
4. My answer to your friend, "Because your attitude seems to be prevalent in society. Since so few people carry guns, the average citizen has become a fat, lazy target for victimization by criminals."

DuknBucks
07-24-2012, 2:52 PM
I also like:

THIS one is good......:D

RedMonkey
07-24-2012, 2:56 PM
This link was sent to me this week. I'm not a woman, but the same Truth applies.

http://thewellarmedwoman.blogspot.com/2012/06/truth.html

C1

Decoligny
07-24-2012, 3:15 PM
Because to carry concealed without one is a crime. I am going to carry, and I am not a criminal. Therefore I must have a LTC.

Legasat
07-24-2012, 3:52 PM
I like the Fire Extingusher and Spare Tire in your car ideas. You hope you never have to use them, but you have them just in case.

Nodda Duma
07-24-2012, 3:59 PM
Because at a cost of only $10, there's no real reason not to if you own a pistol in New Hampshire

Josh3239
07-24-2012, 4:30 PM
You could now say because nuts go into public places like movie theaters and go crazy and you alone have the capacity to defend yourself and your loved ones.

mrdd
07-24-2012, 5:00 PM
In my case, the question is "Why would you like to have a concealed weapons permit?".

A valid answer I have not seen discussed is the ability to have a weapon on you when you return back home. If someone has broken into your residence and is present when you return, you should have the ability to be armed if you confront them.

Any weapons you have stored at home are not likely to be useful to you in such a situation.

mag360
07-24-2012, 6:23 PM
I like the Fire Extingusher and Spare Tire in your car ideas. You hope you never have to use them, but you have them just in case.

waaaaaa but your spare tire can't take a "clip that holds 100 baby killing armor piercing machine gun rounds"

mkane
07-24-2012, 6:38 PM
Who needs a permit!

Agent Orange
07-24-2012, 9:14 PM
Dear Lord, I am just a concealed carrier
And am longing for the day
When I can pull my gun out
And blow someone away

I make sure I have new ammo
And plenty of rounds in clips
So I can be the one to fire
If some scumbag even slips

When I go to the mall I always ensure
I am carrying my big gun
I donít need to buy anything
I just go to have some fun

I always have a backup
And backup for that, too
I need to ensure I can participate
If a gunfight breaks out anew

I bought myself a shiny badge
That makes everyone just jealous
It says I have a CCW
And crooks now know Iím zealous

to keep my streets free from crime
and other assorted woes
but sadly the only thing I got to shoot
was one of my ten toes.

So now with nine, I walk my route
At restaurants, malls, and stores
I wear my gun everywhere
At work, at fun, with choresÖ

Iíve waved my gun at street bums
Who walked nearby my car,
I ensure I always have it,
When I go out to a bar

Guys see my badge at beltline
And ask about my gun
I whip it out for show-and-tell
And tell them to get one

When Heavenís bounty finally comes
Oh, what a special day!
When I finally get to use my gun
And blow someone away.

Then no one will ever be
The one to pick on me
And I can prove my manliness
For any and all to see

The mayor and judge will laud me
The jury will stand and cheer
When they see me and my shiny gun
And know that I was near

When the dirt bag threatened the Girl Scout troop,
And profanely used Godís name
I was the chosen instrument
To defend the sick, the weak, and lame

I will finally get my just reward
And get the keys to my town
And Iíll be able to finally get back
At the school bullies who used to put me down.

Manolito
07-24-2012, 9:28 PM
I have a permit because I live in the rural part of California. The best response time I can hope for is twenty minutes including fire and ambulance.

When out in the mountains working or cutting wood there is no cell service so callling 911 is a mute point.

My wife put away some very bad people and they have tried to take revenge. I repeat tried.

I will quit carrying every where I go as soon as the criminals are disarmed and no longer carry concealed. The Mountain Lions are taught not to eat me and the Courts quit letting bad guys out of jail early only to kill within hours of release.

It could go on and on but the idea is the same. President Kennedy asked what I could do for my country and I served in a war. My wife asked what can we do about these bad guys and we both went and got a permit to carry.

viet4lifeOC
07-25-2012, 12:08 AM
I carry because it makes my butt look glocksome.

viet4lifeOC
07-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Because
1) criminals, murders, robbers, rapists, would never carry and use a gun because it's unlawful.
2) young crazy men wanting to commit mass murder would never ever enter a gun free zone .
3) I can't hire an armed bodyguard while proclaiming my liberal credentials.
4) those liberal anti gun elists with their armed security, high wall mansions will only send their would be criminals to my neighbirhood.
5) like the 1st amendment..it's not a right to be exercised, but a privilege to be asked by you and bestowed by government.
6) America was founded not by armed war against a tyrannical British government, but by peaceful negotiations over tea.
7) home invasion by 4 armed young thugs wanting to practice liberal doctrine of wealth redistribution.
8) Lost an independent, sovereign country of South Vietnam forever to the ashes of history because who would have known that the communists wouldn't uphold their end of the treaty.
9) Because the national/local crime report pages come before the pages reporting the latest Hipster trend/fad. Kony 2012 is so 2009.
With history, current events, and personal experience I am armed to the teeth to refutate any antigunner.

supra
07-25-2012, 1:00 AM

I would also add that I actually practice using my gun in the event of an emergency. When was the last time you practiced using your fire extinguisher?

FalconLair
07-25-2012, 4:01 AM
i wont lie; i carry because i like that bulge in my pants

stix213
07-25-2012, 4:27 AM
Only have a couple out of state ones, but when I'm in Nevada often I end up out on the streets late at night walking to or from my hotel cause I stay at the tables late past when my friends can hang. Just some peace of mind.

adrenaline
07-25-2012, 6:23 AM
because I can't carry a police officer...or don't even want to carry a police officer. :43: If it was even a choice! :p

rAVYFRM5Tl8

I have a concealed weapons permit because tyranny comes in many forms, and it is my duty as an American citizen to guard against them. I also take responsibility for myself (financially, emotionally, physically, and security) and my family. I won't rely on....or put my life (the life of my family) in the hands of government. When I make a vow to care and protect, that doesn't mean I'm calling 911 if my family needs me to protect them IMMEDIATELY. 911 is my backup.

Also, if the argument is about it only being necessary to keep a gun at home. Well, home is where my heart is (where my family is). A CCW/LTC allows me to legally keep a gun at "home".

ASTMedic
07-25-2012, 6:55 AM
I would also add that I actually practice using my gun in the event of an emergency. When was the last time you practiced using your fire extinguisher?

PASS

Pull (the pin)
Aim (at the base of the fire)
Squeeze (the handle)
Sweep (side to side)

All you need to know about a fire extinguisher.

ZombieTactics
07-25-2012, 8:21 AM
Dear Lord, I am just a concealed carrier
And am longing for the day
When I can pull my gun out
And blow someone away

I don't know why you posted this, except perhaps to show the bigoted attitudes that some have regarding guns and gun owners.

LCU1670
07-25-2012, 8:54 AM
Because, I may have to shoot someone.

ASTMedic
07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Why so many "because I can" statements?

PressCheck
07-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Cause they can't Make a Fist!

Agent Orange
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't know why you posted this, except perhaps to show the bigoted attitudes that some have regarding guns and gun owners.

Because it reflects the attitude of a lot of carriers. Maybe not you but there are tons of them out there.

Maestro Pistolero
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
For the same reason I have fire extinguishers in my house and car. Because I can't predict when there may be a fire, and if there is one, I won't have time to wait for a 911 response.

ASTMedic
07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Because it reflects the attitude of a lot of carriers. Maybe not you but there are tons of them out there.

The problem is its not painting the right picture. One response like that kills all the other positive statements by others.

Dreaded Claymore
07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Best answer in most circumstances.
perhaps it's best to ask her to watch the testimony of Suzanna Gratia Hupp, a woman who survived the Luby's masacure in 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis
Best answer if you have an Internet-capable device handy.
Worst answer. I'm not saying it's not a reason to carry a gun, but I am saying that anyone who asks the question and gets this answer will think you're a violent lunatic. The reason they "stop with the incessant questions" is because they believe there's a good chance you're a homicidal maniac.

We need to make it easier for people to see that gun owners are not violent and paranoid. Most people aren't well-versed in Whig ideology like most of us are, and have no idea of historical and philosophical backing behind your words. They'll think you just want to kill cops.

They may be ignorant, they may even be annoying, but they can vote. If you alarm and terrify them, WE WILL LOSE THE FREEDOM TO EXERCISE OUR RIGHTS, just like the Black Panthers did after they stormed the Capitol with M1 carbines.

Luieburger
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a permit and I carry for many reasons. Here are two of those reasons.

You never know when someone is going to bust into the movie theater and start shooting people.
So I can open carry in and out of my vehicle when traveling around the state. Loaded vehicle carry is illegal in WA without a carry permit, and open carry is much more comfortable.

GrizFyrFyter
07-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Because they can.

Seriously, what other reason does one need. ;)

ASTMedic
07-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Because they can.

Seriously, what other reason does one need. ;)

I get the joke.

And below is my response to that with less emphasis on the violent parts:

Worst answer. I'm not saying it's not a reason to carry a gun, but I am saying that anyone who asks the question and gets this answer will think you're a violent lunatic. The reason they "stop with the incessant questions" is because they believe there's a good chance you're a homicidal maniac.

We need to make it easier for people to see that gun owners are not violent and paranoid. Most people aren't well-versed in Whig ideology like most of us are, and have no idea of historical and philosophical backing behind your words. They'll think you just want to kill cops.

They may be ignorant, they may even be annoying, but they can vote. If you alarm and terrify them, WE WILL LOSE THE FREEDOM TO EXERCISE OUR RIGHTS, just like the Black Panthers did after they stormed the Capitol with M1 carbines.

mdimeo
07-25-2012, 12:25 PM

People are more interested in feeling smug than convincing people.

Many anti's are hopelessly muddle-brained on gun issues.
But some can be convinced. Don't waste an opportunity to flip them by using an argument that makes you feel good but makes them think you're a nut, or a jerk, or that you don't think they're worth engaging with.

mtptwo
07-25-2012, 12:38 PM
For protection of myself and my loved ones.

GrizFyrFyter
07-25-2012, 4:06 PM
I get the joke.

And below is my response to that with less emphasis on the violent parts:

I see your point.

lawaia
07-25-2012, 4:20 PM

Exactly how many carriers do you know? How many of them have that attitude?

Your little poem paints with a pretty broad brush. Try to have a little respect for others. Everyone I have met that carries takes the responsibility VERY seriously. Don't make it into a childish joke.:mad:

colddeadhands
07-25-2012, 5:52 PM
I am going to carry anyway, with the permit I don't have to worry about bad guys AND cops.

It also has payed for itself a few few times with the money I save by not paying for background checks.

nicki
07-26-2012, 1:11 AM
I would ask them why they don't have a CCW permit since the sheriff does issue,

Layer it with, after all, we live in a dangerous world and if either of us found ourselves in a violent situation where critical seconds count, the police being minutes away would me we risk serious injury or even death.

Someone may say, well violence isn't a problem here, you can say violence wasn't an issue in Aurora Colorado either.

Once you get the hang of layering, after awhile the person you are doing this too will recognize the wrong of their ways.

Now if you approach this in a way that you give them a chance to save face, you may gain a convert, if you try to rub their face into dirt, they dig in no matter how wrong they are.

Nicki

PackingHeatInSDCA
07-26-2012, 8:00 AM
I posted something like that on the CNN page

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-820595

I may have stolen some tips from this forum - thanks whoever that was :D

A-J
07-26-2012, 9:47 AM
Cause they can't Make a Fist!

Well, there is that....

But in all seriousness, if I were able to get a CCW, it would be so I am ready if it becomes necessary.

NorCalDustin
07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Because I could not live with myself if something happened to my friends and family and I did not exercise my rights to at least have the tools with me.

I saved this a couple years ago... Dont remember where from...
Why Grandpa carries a gun

PEOPLE ASK WHY?

Why Carry a Gun?

My old grandpa said to me 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an *** whoopin.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate..

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin'....

author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

PewPewBob
07-26-2012, 3:38 PM

LOL good one...

Merovign
07-26-2012, 8:46 PM
"Why are you so insensitive to other people's cultures?"

I don't even argue with them anymore, you'd have more luck explaining the Otto Cycle to an Otter.

epilepticninja
07-26-2012, 9:57 PM

Cause ballsacular tastes good?