PDA

View Full Version : 2 Of my friends did not get The Memo on SKS

Bangzoom
07-24-2012, 6:26 AM
Ok so...Im at my mechanics and I see a rifle case in his office.I ask about it and he says."Oh thats some old military gun or something or other"..he was too busy to show it to me.About a week later he says "Hey wanna see that rifle?" I say "yes i do" he then opens the case and im looking at an SKS with a 20 rd mag on it...I then tell him it is illegal and he will get a prison term for this...he acted like I was wrong and he bought it legally and blah blah blah I think i finally convinced him...this guy is a family man with his own business and would have taken that shooting some day...Im just shaking my head at this...

It gets better

fast fwd a few days

I was at my motorcycle mechanics and in pops another guy who ive met many times there and we get to talking and he says he has a SKS and I offer to buy it...he says "No way..i love this thing and its 20 rd mag" SIGH...It took even more work to convince him it was illegal...another guy with his own business never breaking the law before and could have easily been arrested if he had taken it out to shoot

so thats 2 people that are in my circle in less than 2 weeks that didnt even know what they had was illegal and would have taken them out one day to have some fun plinking and (most likely) would have gotten arrested and lives ruined..AND they didnt even thank me for saving their sorry butts...I think they are STILL in denial

got me thinking...if i found 2 people so easily...How many in the whole state?

spencerhut
07-24-2012, 6:44 AM
This happens all the time. Law abiding people doing nothing wrong, hurting no one, being trapped by the overly complex, ever changing gun laws. We see it all the time in our store. We educate and help them, the ones that will listen. Some are in total disbelief and think I'm scamming or lying to them. Others say F--- the government, I'm a good guy and would never hurt anyone.

SanPedroShooter
07-24-2012, 6:50 AM
All. The. Time.

How many registered their 'assault weapons'? 10% maybe, less?

em9sredbeam
07-24-2012, 6:51 AM
America; Land Of The Free.....sigh.

23 Blast
07-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Worse is when someone DOES have a legally-owned weapon and magazine combo (say, a featureless AR build with a grandfathered 30-round mag) and a nosy cop *assumes* it's illegal and confiscates it anyway, despite the protests of the owner.

bohoki
07-24-2012, 12:37 PM
are you sure they were sks many people call yugo 59 and 59/66 an sks but its an sks only in spirit not in name

drifter2be
07-24-2012, 12:46 PM
I find these types online all the time, usually on armslist, selling illegally configured guns and at the rare occasion at the range. To name a few, Kel-Tec SU-16 with a forward grip and no mag-locking device, full featured AK pattern rifle with no magazine lock who got extremely pissed and insisted that since his rifle was 922r compliant it did not require a mag lock. I don't make it my personal mission to protect these people, especially when their initial reaction is to tell me I am a F-ing idiot/insult me when all I have told them is their rifle is in an illegal configuration and even refer the PC to them, quoted and linked, as well as the calguns flow chart. At this point I have realized you can't fix stupid, and I don't care enough about keeping stupid people out of prison to take their insults.

Bangzoom
07-24-2012, 2:30 PM
are you sure they were sks many people call yugo 59 and 59/66 an sks but its an sks only in spirit not in name

well the one i saw had a Tula arsenal stamp and SKS stamped on the barrel...but both having the original mag removed to hold a 20rd clip was kind of a giveaway to the legal aspect

am i wrong?

Ron-Solo
07-24-2012, 4:50 PM

A 59/66 becomes an AW by feature when you go above 10 rounds in a fixed mag

bohoki
07-25-2012, 8:48 AM

that is true

i too have given up helping people who do not want help

i just sit back and enjoy watching them have fun

m98
07-25-2012, 3:22 PM
I've given up helping also unless the person listens. I knew a guy who brought his ar into this country from a free state with all the evil stuff on it too. And the Idiot took the rifle hunting too. I just palm my face.

the86d
07-25-2012, 3:31 PM
I was shooting a while back and I see a guy that needed help zeroing in his scope, it was WAY off. I noticed that he has a magy-mag on it, just sitting there.

I told him that police often come and shot at "this place" and he should take it off, he looked around and said something like 'Is there any body who is going to arrest him?'. He had an accent, maybe a bit Roosky? Anyways I was asked to help zero the thing in, and with the help of another guy spotting we got the thing dead-on. I removed the maggy, placing it on below the rife, and tries to eject the mag, and no-go. He puts it back on and just has some fun leaving it there... even after I explained that could be a felony! OMG, I guess you can't fix them...

m98
07-25-2012, 3:38 PM
^^^^^^yep those retatards are the ones that's gonna be cryin for help sayin they didnt know and screw up kommifornia and its chances to be free again and puts calguns effort into the dump.

Vacaville
07-25-2012, 3:47 PM
I knew a guy that passed away a while ago who had four unregistered AWs that he had purchased legally in the early 80's. Tried to talk to him several times about either getting rid of them or altering them into legal configurations. He just never followed the changes in legislation and didn't really care enough to look into it. I don't think he ever did really believe me when I told him it was a serious crime to be possessing these things.

Curtis
07-25-2012, 4:00 PM
I have a business associate who was talking about his guns including an SKS. I informed him of the issue, but he wasn't all that worried. He told me he got the same feedback from someone else...but that second input must have made it clear: if the police have contact, it would be jail time. It is now a happy residence of another state.

anthonyca
07-25-2012, 4:00 PM
The vast majority of gun owners don't spend hours a week on Calvin's researching laws. Heck, there is even a court case challenging the vagueness of California fire arms law. The Guy was arrested for an assualt rifle that was just a rifle. The judge threw it out stating that it was an isolated incident. Well, the same Guy.gets arrested again for the same gun.

I know many people who bought cool guns before 89 and 2000 and never registered them. One Guy has never.even shot his AK. He looked at me like I was high when I told him he was opening himself to a possible felony.

Lifeon2whls
07-25-2012, 4:01 PM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong...but 20rd on a SKS only illegal if:

- its detachable (and not registered as an AW)
- Mag not owned prior to 2000

The SKS is listed on the flow chart as "SKS with detachable Magazine" so even a 10rd detachable is illegal.

ElvenSoul
07-25-2012, 4:09 PM
Don't argue just hand them the Flow Chart.

gbp
07-25-2012, 4:11 PM
ca made a felon of my son x 13 because of their, what i consider retroactive laws. $100K bail and $10K on attorneys later it went away but i was still out the $20K with no recourse to recoup

Fk ca and their ambiguous laws that are Solly designed to make criminals out of law abiding citizens

Oceanbob
07-25-2012, 4:26 PM
I have 11 Registered Assault Weapons and have never been questioned by Police; even at the Range when I let a Uniformed California Highway Patrolman shoot my HK-91. (with a full 20 round magazine).

He smiled big and thanked me. (nice folks)

It might be a different story if I got pulled over in East Los Angeles at 12:30 AM by LA METRO DIVISION GANG UNIT.

I've heard tales (FUD?) that CDOJ will register a forgotten Assault Weapon; don't know if that's true or not...might call Sharon the nice girl at CDOJ I spoke too last year when I lost my Registration Letter from 1989.

Naw....:D

Mssr. Eleganté
07-25-2012, 4:36 PM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong...but 20rd on a SKS only illegal if:

- its detachable (and not registered as an AW)
- Mag not owned prior to 2000

The SKS is listed on the flow chart as "SKS with detachable Magazine" so even a 10rd detachable is illegal.

You're forgetting that a semiauto centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than ten rounds is an assault weapon. Don't try to use common sense on this. Common sense can put you in prison. Use the flowchart.

PandaLuv
07-25-2012, 4:53 PM
****ing CA

bohoki
07-25-2012, 7:26 PM
there is a bit of confusion with the sks

i still cant get this one answered

say back in 1999 you registered your sks and an AW because it had a fixed 20 rounder

does that mean that you could use detachable magazines in it?

cause reliable sources inform me that tapco 20s work great

unlike the old zytel ones or metal tackwelded monstrositys

Lifeon2whls
07-25-2012, 9:24 PM
You're forgetting that a semiauto centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than ten rounds is an assault weapon. Don't try to use common sense on this. Common sense can put you in prison. Use the flowchart.

Damnit...yes thank you.

Spyder
07-25-2012, 9:26 PM
From my understanding, if it is registered as an AW, you can pretty much do what you want with it. Go detachable!

After you get word from someone who knows more than me. :D

Bangzoom
07-31-2012, 8:48 AM
Ok question

I was just at my mechanics again and got a quick look at his sks

its a 1951 with a tula mark

if the original 10 rd mag was put back will it be legal? and to put it back do you need to remove the trigger assembly?

JBaus
07-31-2012, 9:58 AM
Ok question

I was just at my mechanics again and got a quick look at his sks

its a 1951 with a tula mark

if the original 10 rd mag was put back will it be legal? and to put it back do you need to remove the trigger assembly?

I have a Chinese SKS with a fixed-10rd dropdown mag waiting in Jail right now which I knew was legal, but my FFL wanted to be sure and confirm w/ the DOJ. I believe as long as you have the same fixed-drop-down magazine attached/fixed to your Russian SKS, it will be legal. Yes, the trigger assembly has to be detached and then the drop-down mag needs to be placed into the trigger assembly and then locked in upon reassembly.

(Pardon for my description regarding the trigger assembly)

You can youtube the disassemble/reassemble of an SKS.

Bangzoom
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a Chinese SKS with a fixed-10rd dropdown mag waiting in Jail right now which I knew was legal, but my FFL wanted to be sure and confirm w/ the DOJ. I believe as long as you have the same fixed-drop-down magazine attached/fixed to your Russian SKS, it will be legal. Yes, the trigger assembly has to be detached and then the drop-down mag needs to be placed into the trigger assembly and then locked in upon reassembly.

(Pardon for my description regarding the trigger assembly)

You can youtube the disassemble/reassemble of an SKS.

no dont be sorry..i understood

Im bad at any terminology on any matter...lol

steve91104
08-01-2012, 8:31 PM
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/customavatars/avatar20459_1.gif

We need a name. Give us a name!

Bangzoom
08-02-2012, 1:10 PM
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/customavatars/avatar20459_1.gif

We need a name. Give us a name!

I Dunno but he was Asian with a nice tan

skibuff
08-02-2012, 3:20 PM
Is a Dragunov Stock with a fixed drop down 10rd Mag legal?
Would it change if it was pre 1999 but not a RAW?

Veggie
08-02-2012, 3:26 PM
Its unreasonable for them to expect us to know all 50 million laws.

PEZHEAD265
08-03-2012, 7:32 AM

How???He is talking abiut a detachable mag.

stix213
08-03-2012, 10:40 AM
A few months ago I was at the rifle range and there was a gentleman in his 40's or 50's who looks like he was taking out a friend and his kids to learn shooting for the first time. The guy had an older style AR with features and no BB and a nice looking AK with a thumbhole stock, again no BB.

I don't normally get into people's business, but he was out chatting with a few other people so I just told him how I liked the rifles and asked, "so these are RAWs right?" He said he didn't know what that meant. (I figured originally that these were RAWs, and was going to talk to him about the awesomeness of what he has compared to me running featureless, hmmmm....) I said "Registered Assault Weapons, that's what these are right?" "No," he said, "I've had these for a while." :facepalm:

I told him I didn't really want to get into his business but the laws have changed and his rifles don't appear to be legal and he should look into that. He looked at me like I was speaking french and didn't want to hear any of it, and I left him be. Fortunately for him he and his party just continued for the next few hours at the range without legal incident. Hope he looks into it, but I doubt it....

CSACANNONEER
08-04-2012, 6:00 AM
A SKS type rifle which is not marked "SKS" anywhere on it can use detachable +10 round mags if it does my have any evil features.

DannyInSoCal
08-05-2012, 2:54 AM
A SKS type rifle which is not marked "SKS" anywhere on it can use detachable +10 round mags if it does my have any evil features.

Exactly.

I thought I was going krazy for a second there.....

skibuff
08-05-2012, 6:38 AM

Only if the gun and the mags were purchased prior to 2000 and you are the original owner ?

CSACANNONEER
08-05-2012, 8:02 AM
Only if the gun and the mags were purchased prior to 2000 and you are the original owner ?

WTF? No, it has nothing to do with when the gun or mags were aquired. Any featureless SKS type rifle which is not marked "SKS" can legally have detachable (NOT FIXED) magazines. You can use any legally owned magazine you want to.

10mm
08-06-2012, 1:10 AM
I wonder what other laws they break while running a business?:eek:

9mmrevolver
08-06-2012, 1:29 AM
WTF? No, it has nothing to do with when the gun or mags were aquired. Any featureless SKS type rifle which is not marked "SKS" can legally have detachable (NOT FIXED) magazines. You can use any legally owned magazine you want to.

I'm assuming you mean any 10 rounders and 10+ rounders owned prior to jan 1 2000.

Would making it detachable trigger 922r?

Bangzoom
08-19-2012, 11:35 AM
LOL

I was at a garage sale yesterday and the guy had out

a 15 rd m1 carb magazine
a 30 rd Ar mag
10 20 rd Ar mags
2 blackpowder revolvers
a S&W 357 revolver
and a S&W semi auto 9mm

lol....i was there early and promptly told him the laws which he knew nothing about

LAKings22
08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I see people at the range shooting hi cap mags all the time. I personally don't take the chance it's not worth it.

.22guy
08-19-2012, 1:08 PM
2 blackpowder revolvers

Those would be legal to sell, no?

Bangzoom
08-19-2012, 1:40 PM

Nope...curio and relic is only for long guns...and besides...they were repros

1000stars
08-19-2012, 2:06 PM
LOL

I was at a garage sale yesterday and the guy had out

a 15 rd m1 carb magazine
a 30 rd Ar mag
10 20 rd Ar mags
2 blackpowder revolvers
a S&W 357 revolver
and a S&W semi auto 9mm

lol....i was there early and promptly told him the laws which he knew nothing about

You wanna sell the smith and wessons?

bohoki
08-19-2012, 2:08 PM
there really ought to be a law against victimless crimes

Mssr. Eleganté
08-19-2012, 2:16 PM
2 blackpowder revolvers

Nope...curio and relic is only for long guns...and besides...they were repros

Muzzle loaders are not C&R, they are "antiques". They are exempt from Federal and California dealer transfer requirements. Muzzle loaders are considered "antiques" even if they are modern reproductions.

blazeaglory
08-19-2012, 4:00 PM
Muzzle loaders are not C&R, they are "antiques". They are exempt from Federal and California dealer transfer requirements. Muzzle loaders are considered "antiques" even if they are modern reproductions.

Exactly and they work almost just as good as a glock...hehehe. Cabelas has some nice Italian made civil war replicas. Anything prior to 1893 I think is good to go for antique.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-19-2012, 4:13 PM
...Anything prior to 1893 I think is good to go for antique.

Anything made prior to 1899 is an antique, even if it fires modern ammunition. Black powder muzzle loaders are antiques no matter when they were made.

VMCJ-3
08-19-2012, 4:41 PM
With regard to California firearm laws, common sense is not common...

Bangzoom
08-19-2012, 7:25 PM

Im not up on blackpowder..i was under the impression the cartridges used black powder and not modern powder...silly me?

Bangzoom
08-19-2012, 7:29 PM
You wanna sell the smith and wessons?

Who me???? What makes you think i would buy one illegally? Besides the semi auto had alot of pitting on the slide...if i was to buy it would have been the 357

and that would be a keeper...i mean if i did buy it