PDA

View Full Version : Saw a cat last night

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2012, 6:10 AM
About 7:45 last night I looked out the kitchen window and saw something about 75 yards out. With the dirty windows and the glare of the setting sun, it took me a minute to figure out what was silloutted next to a large juniper. At first, I thought it was just a 'yote. But, something didn't look right so, I keep trying to see past the glare. I finally was able to make out ears and a long tail that curled up just about ground level. I'm guessing it was probably about a 60-70lb kitty. I decided not to go investigate any further last night. The last thing I wanted was to end up letting my dogs out and ending up with another vet bill. I had just picked one up from $1000 worth of dental surgery and didn't need another bill or worse, a dead dog. When I get home tonight, I'll go down and look for tracks. The whole sighting took less than a minute because it went behind the big junipers.

Coyotegunner
07-24-2012, 7:11 AM
Sounds like you are part of its hunting area now.Rake the area and see if more tracks show up after a couple days.I respect your forsight about the dogs.My pointers love to mess with cats.Small or large.Only thing that keeps them alive is running in my little pack.Keep your camera handy.Friends with trail cameras on springs have equal pictures of cats to deer in the local Big Bear mountains.They have as many as 3 cats at one time on a couple.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-24-2012, 7:32 AM
About 7:45 last night I looked out the kitchen window and saw something about 75 yards out. With the dirty windows and the glare of the setting sun, it took me a minute to figure out what was silloutted next to a large juniper. At first, I thought it was just a 'yote. But, something didn't look right so, I keep trying to see past the glare. I finally was able to make out ears and a long tail that curled up just about ground level. I'm guessing it was probably about a 60-70lb kitty. I decided not to go investigate any further last night. The last thing I wanted was to end up letting my dogs out and ending up with another vet bill. I had just picked one up from $1000 worth of dental surgery and didn't need another bill or worse, a dead dog. When I get home tonight, I'll go down and look for tracks. The whole sighting took less than a minute because it went behind the big junipers.

I worked patrol in a mountainous area and I encountered a big cat (I'd say 100 lbs) slinking through front yards in a residential area. He saw me and casually slinked into some brush and out of view. I'm glad I was in a car because he looked mean and fearless.

It was pretty much S.O.P. in that area that nobody left any pets out at night because of the cats, bears, bobcats, etc that came out after dark.

NaClAddict
07-24-2012, 7:52 AM
Sweet encounter, I'm jealous. Spoke to some DFG folk who were tracking cats in Orange County one time they said something like, if people knew how close in proximity they were to these big animals on a regular basis they would have them exterminated. One had a nest within 75 yards of tract homes.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-24-2012, 9:09 AM
Sweet encounter, I'm jealous. Spoke to some DFG folk who were tracking cats in Orange County one time they said something like, if people knew how close in proximity they were to these big animals on a regular basis they would have them exterminated. One had a nest within 75 yards of tract homes.

I am glad these critters generally avoid contact with humans. I dreaded the possibility of having to shoot one, and I' m glad I never did.

m98
07-24-2012, 1:19 PM

Most people and sheeple don't ever have self awareness when being near the sticks until its too late. So the likelyhood of them being part of the statistic is higher.

m98
07-24-2012, 1:32 PM
I am glad these critters generally avoid contact with humans. I dreaded the possibility of having to shoot one, and I' m glad I never did.

Same here too but its really awful that this country(prk) has banned huntin for these harmless furry kitties. Too many Anti's in this country that believes this animal is sacred. The kitty population has been thriving and has exploded in the last decade or so. But no conservation efforts to maintain a balance. Does anybody think that the more kitties the better or the better deer population the better? Ofcourse its going to be deer. Its easier to control deer herds. More tags could be issued per hunter. Doe hunts for adults etc. And with all this, revenue is being generated by us hunters that should be used efficiently in maintaining the big game wildlife.

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2012, 2:03 PM
Sounds like you are part of its hunting area now.Rake the area and see if more tracks show up after a couple days.I respect your forsight about the dogs.My pointers love to mess with cats.Small or large.Only thing that keeps them alive is running in my little pack.Keep your camera handy.Friends with trail cameras on springs have equal pictures of cats to deer in the local Big Bear mountains.They have as many as 3 cats at one time on a couple.

I've been in their hunting grounds since I moved here. My neighbors have seen tracks and sign right by their homes and on the roads but, I never thought I'd see one in such a large brushed area and in daylight hours ta boot. I've seen and heard cats before. I even had one jump on a trailer that I was living in (in the hills outside of Malibu) and pace back and forth on the top for a few minutes. But, this sighting was a bit stranger due to the lighting. At first I thought I was seeing things. Then, after he/she went behind the juniper, I finally realized what I'd seen. I can't wait to get home and look for tracks and other sign. BTW, when I go outside with or without the dogs, I normally carry a 5 shot 38. 3 rounds of shotshell (the last rattler I got was under the house directly under my bed less than a month ago) followed by two rounds of Hydra Shocks. Tonight, I might take a shotgun and my big dog with me when I look for sign.

furyous68
07-24-2012, 2:34 PM
We have them here on the central coast all the time. Just last week, we went to one of the parks we always go to. A flyer was posted in the parking lot warning everyone of a cougar sighting... with a picture of the big cat just chilling on the play equipment.

We have a lot of hiking trails around here too, and there have been several sightings up on Bishops peak. A few attacks as well.

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2012, 2:39 PM
We have them here on the central coast all the time. Just last week, we went to one of the parks we always go to. A flyer was posted in the parking lot warning everyone of a cougar sighting... with a picture of the big cat just chilling on the play equipment.

We have a lot of hiking trails around here too, and there have been several sightings up on Bishops peak. A few attacks as well.

The first one I ever saw in the wild was in Atascadero while I was playing rent a cop at a construction site. That was back in about '86 or so. I've lived at Poly, in Morro Bay, SLO and off Parkhill Rd by Pozo so, yea, I know there are plenty of kitties around there. In fact, if you go to the Pozo USFS station, there might still be a picture of a little black bear clinging to the side of an oak tree. Myself and another guy were the ones who flagged down the ranger who took that picture so many years ago.

ksibew
07-24-2012, 3:12 PM
Check this trail cam picture!

ksibew
07-24-2012, 3:13 PM

This was taken about 2 miles from Lake Oroville.

mcmikeblues7
07-24-2012, 3:27 PM

WHAT!

furyous68
07-24-2012, 3:35 PM
HOLY CRAP!

That's a lot of mountain lions. Looks like a scene out of Africa on the Serengeti.

I didn't think mountain lions were social cats....

ksibew
07-24-2012, 3:38 PM
WHAT!

Yes, they had killed a cow and where all having dinner! They are not always working alone!

ksibew
07-24-2012, 3:43 PM
HOLY CRAP!

That's a lot of mountain lions. Looks like a scene out of Africa on the Serengeti.

I didn't think mountain lions were social cats....

We didn't think they were either. A rancher sent us the picture so that we could warn employees that work alone up here to be carfull! There seems to be a lot of cat activity in this area.

VFX_man
07-24-2012, 4:06 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/explore?tag=mountain-lion-sighting

There here . . . . nice kitty kitty kitty.

There is a study going on at our expense. The DFG and CalTrans is trying to see why so many deer are getting killed on Highway 280 crossing from open wild-land INTO urban neighborhoods. http://paloalto.patch.com/articles/deer-tracking-study-worth-the-money

They mentioned this on the radio [KCBS] while I was driving. I kept yelling at the radio . . . "It's because of Mountain Lions Stupid". At the end of the report, they did mention it could possible be due to Mountain Lions - duh.

Keep game management in the hands of professionals, not voters!!!

Cheers!

Bobby Ricigliano
07-24-2012, 4:10 PM
Same here too but its really awful that this country(prk) has banned huntin for these harmless furry kitties. Too many Anti's in this country that believes this animal is sacred. The kitty population has been thriving and has exploded in the last decade or so. But no conservation efforts to maintain a balance. Does anybody think that the more kitties the better or the better deer population the better? Ofcourse its going to be deer. Its easier to control deer herds. More tags could be issued per hunter. Doe hunts for adults etc. And with all this, revenue is being generated by us hunters that should be used efficiently in maintaining the big game wildlife.

No I'm not knocking hunters. I don't hunt personally, but I understand the need to maintain order among predators/prey. I meant that I'm glad I didn't have to shoot a cat in somebody's back yard that was shredding the family pet.

duckman1
07-24-2012, 6:51 PM
I seen a couple above Patterson and in the hills above Los Banos.

RudyN
07-24-2012, 7:28 PM
I live in Santa Clara County and ride on a bike/walking trail along Coyote Creek. One day as I was riding along I happened to see a cat cross the trail about 100yds ahead. It looked kind of big to me, but I didn't really realize what it was until a bit further on I looked to my right and there was a Mountain Lion abut 30-40 feet from me. I kept going, but was a bit worried as on the way home I had to pass the same spot. Saw nothing and I am still here.

Flying Bones
07-24-2012, 7:41 PM
This was taken about 2 miles from Lake Oroville.

I've never been able to substantiate the "Oroville" claim, but it is interesting. Did you get anything more than the email/cell phone pic that was sent around saying it was Oroville?

ucsdryder
07-24-2012, 8:00 PM

There is a study going on at our expense. The DFG and CalTrans is trying to see why so many deer are getting killed on Highway 280 crossing from open wild-land INTO urban neighborhoods. http://paloalto.patch.com/articles/deer-tracking-study-worth-the-money

They mentioned this on the radio [KCBS] while I was driving. I kept yelling at the radio . . . "It's because of Mountain Lions Stupid". At the end of the report, they did mention it could possible be due to Mountain Lions - duh.

Cheers!

This X 10000000000000!!!!!

littlebear44
07-24-2012, 9:49 PM
There are more of them than the general population would like to know about. I use to work in in an open area right by chino hills state park. Ive never spotted one but i know that some of my old co workers had close encounters on a regular basisduring certain periods of the year. Also had a ranger tell me that there population from 2000-2005 went up 300%.

ksibew
07-25-2012, 7:22 AM
I've never been able to substantiate the "Oroville" claim, but it is interesting. Did you get anything more than the email/cell phone pic that was sent around saying it was Oroville?

Yes, we did talk to the rancher and saw the kill site. It happened close to Forbstown. I do have more pictures.

21SF
07-25-2012, 8:50 AM

Cheers!

Thanks for the first blood boil of the day, from the comments in your link...

Paul B.6:30 pm on Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Deer are seeking easier water as the heat of day increases. These deer populations need more control than natural predators unless you greenies really want a child or single jogger or two taken by the natural predators you have allowed to increase with the increase of the deer populations. If you allow active hunting to manage the deer population, something done from 1945 to 1979 and now prevented. These mountain lion populations will decrease to the levels that human encroachment will still not be in their hunting ranges.

Reply Judi8:40 pm on Sunday, July 22, 2012

I would rather face a natural predator than an idiot with a gun!

Alan Dale Brown2:25 pm on Monday, July 23, 2012

I think you're not being realistic, Judi. Properly trained deer hunters pose little risk to others. It is actually kinder to the deer to have the population culled through hunting than have there population increase to the extent that they starve and spread disease. I believe the deer population in the US is significantly higher than it was in pre-Colombian times. I don't think people would tolerate a large enough Mountain Lion population that would keep the deer numbers under control, because lest it keep the "small child and pet" population "under control" as well.

Kali3:52 am on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Judi, I agree with you. No Hunting. Period. Paul, have the county do a study on the Mountain Lion population. I bet there are very few. Even so, this is their land too.
If you live in this area, that's what you bought. If you don't like it, there are other areas you can move to. No need to kill. I live in the San Carlos canyons, have Deer, Coyotes, Raccoons, etc. I knew that moving here. Greenies, Really? How about honoring all life, not just humans.

F'n Morons!!!

CSACANNONEER
07-25-2012, 11:14 AM
I've gotta agree with Judi. I'd rather face a cat than Judi with a gun. Of course. I don't have a problem with non idiots hunting with firearms. It's not like a hunter with a gun is going to pose a threat to me or face me down.

VFX_man
07-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the first blood boil of the day, from the comments in your link...

Paul B.6:30 pm on Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Deer are seeking easier water as the heat of day increases. These deer populations need more control than natural predators unless you greenies really want a child or single jogger or two taken by the natural predators you have allowed to increase with the increase of the deer populations. If you allow active hunting to manage the deer population, something done from 1945 to 1979 and now prevented. These mountain lion populations will decrease to the levels that human encroachment will still not be in their hunting ranges.

Reply Judi8:40 pm on Sunday, July 22, 2012

I would rather face a natural predator than an idiot with a gun!

Alan Dale Brown2:25 pm on Monday, July 23, 2012

I think you're not being realistic, Judi. Properly trained deer hunters pose little risk to others. It is actually kinder to the deer to have the population culled through hunting than have there population increase to the extent that they starve and spread disease. I believe the deer population in the US is significantly higher than it was in pre-Colombian times. I don't think people would tolerate a large enough Mountain Lion population that would keep the deer numbers under control, because lest it keep the "small child and pet" population "under control" as well.

Kali3:52 am on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Judi, I agree with you. No Hunting. Period. Paul, have the county do a study on the Mountain Lion population. I bet there are very few. Even so, this is their land too.
If you live in this area, that's what you bought. If you don't like it, there are other areas you can move to. No need to kill. I live in the San Carlos canyons, have Deer, Coyotes, Raccoons, etc. I knew that moving here. Greenies, Really? How about honoring all life, not just humans.

F'n Morons!!!

I had to stop myself last night. I composed a reply . . . but realized it would fall on deaf ears.

------------------

If only we lived in a world that was Black and White . . . With any topic there are people who think that their way of thinking is the correct way of thinking. These people in turn, tend to search out and find others to support their position. Just how many wars and people have been killed by such dogma over the centuries.

The educated person, should attempt to gather “un-biased” information using proven facts and statistics and then make a decision that THEY can live with. The key word is THEY not OTHERS. Others should be allowed to have their personal feelings, opinions and points of views – not YOURS.

That being said . . .

200+ years ago California was a “desert” for ½ of the year [i.e. rain in winter and drought in summer], with this “native” environment, water was a major component in wildlife population control.

Water = plant growth = forage food = prey = predator . . . guessing you have seen The Lion King . . . remember the old “Circle of Life”.

Other than the indigenous peoples(s) of that time, man was not a big factor in the equation. Sure there was harvest for sustenance by the natives, but they understood that over-harvesting was not in their best interest and they were part of the natural ebb and flow of the land.

Now comes the problem – “Settlers” which is basically YOU and I move here and what do we do? We start altering the ecosystem. It's not as simple as “we moved into their territory” that argument is very naive and does not take into account ALL of the factors. Remember the key component? WATER

As we settled the region, we dammed rivers for power and water. By doing this we suddenly supplied a year round source of water [at the expense of the native migratory fish] – bad humans! It's all about us.

Now water alone in a man-made lake is not enough to cause a big in-balance . . . BUT what do “we” do with the water? Farm and irrigate the landscape and plant yards around our homes. [some do plant native landscape, but look on your street and what do you see 90% of the time? Flowers, bushes and lawns - FOOD].

Remember: Water = plant growth = forage food = prey = predator

Man has now provided a cornucopia for wildlife . . . wildlife that will reproduce based on their available food supply. This is food that is now available 365 days a year with nothing but disease and predators to control their numbers. Using deer as an example, they are left un-checked in urban areas, with the only real population control being automobile impacts [waste of life, both deer and injured or killed humans].

So what happens in the urban irrigated areas? You grow PREY and with prey you get Predators – which in our case, are Mountain Lions. And what happens when an animal has an overabundance of food and no natural population check? Bingo, a population that overloads their habitat. These new Mountain Lions need their own territory and that's where we have the problem. They head into the [formerly arid] urban areas for food. Food that we have supplied.

Man has thrown a kink into “native” rhythm of the world. So this is where educated game managers and biologist enter the equation. It's their job to determine the state of the wildlife and implement game management to control the populations so that animal stock remain at healthy levels. If populations are left unchecked, they will over-load their food supply and will be ripe for disease and or starvation. These animals will die after they suffered a long and painful death.

One tool that wildlife managers use - is controlled and regulated game harvesting. This allows for a healthy herd that is not overburdening the “Current” state of the environment . . . hopefully providing a balanced ecosystem.

When people are allowed to vote on game management, you have a problem. People are voting with their hearts and not the facts.

I recently spoke to a CA DFG agent and he said that “Not being able to control the Mountain Lion populations are causing big issues and the attacks on people will continue to increase. People need to realize these are wild animals that can kill and are not like your domestic cat fluffy”.

Would I personally hunt a Mountain Lion? No
Would I neutralize one - if attacked and/or fearing for my life or my loved ones? Yes
Does their population need regulating? Yes

Circle of Life!

21SF
07-25-2012, 1:03 PM
Yeah I dont think they would even read that unless you put it on Berkeley University letter head and drenched in pachoilli (Sp?who cares).