PDA

View Full Version : Peep sights for Savage Model 64?

Moress
07-24-2012, 3:59 AM
Hello all.

I bought a Savage model 64 from big 5 a few months back. It came with a cheap scope for about $170ish. Anyway, the scope loses its zero after every outing, and the rear leaf iron sights are useless because they have way too much play in them. Sometimes they'll be dead on, other times it will shoot nearly two foot to either side at 100 yards.

Before I drop a couple bills on a new rifle, I figure maybe I'll just spend money and replace the rear sight with peep sights like on my M1 Garand. Do any of you have any recommendations? I found this one after a quick google search, but I just wanted some second opinions before I drop the cash on it http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121512/williams-wgrs-54-guide-receiver-peep-sight-savage-anschutz-54-64-141-141m-153-153s-remington-541s-winchester-310-320-9422-most-22-caliber-dovetail-receivers-aluminum-black

Izzy43
07-24-2012, 5:30 AM
Williams makes nice sights. You may need to lengthen/shorten your front post sight with that one. Best to check before buying. Also might want to check to see if there is Tech Sight that will work. A bit more expensive but lots of folks like them.

Moress
07-24-2012, 6:00 AM
How can I tell if I need to lengthen/shorten the front sight before buying? The description says it will fit on a Savage m64.

Izzy43
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
How can I tell if I need to lengthen/shorten the front sight before buying? The description says it will fit on a Savage m64.

Three ways, call or email the manufacturer with the height of your front sight and ask them the question. Best to know the height above the barrel and above the center of the bore.

Second way is to get the sight and shoot the rifle (a little more risky). If it shoots high then the front sight is too low, if it shoots low then the front sight is too high. The front sight being too high is easy to adjust by filing very small amounts off the sight then reshooting. It can be a slow process.

A little tougher is if the front sight is too low. Then you must figure out a way to increase the height. One method is to add a small diameter of brass brazing rod to the top (JB Weld might work). Best to experiment with very small plastic or rubber tubing pushed onto the sight, then start snipping away at it until you find the correct height then you can measure and make it permanent with the brass rod.

Third option is to take it to a gunsmith but that can get expensive.

Moress
07-24-2012, 3:08 PM
Hmm, well I measure the front sight post from the top of the barrel to the to of the sight and it came out to .3". I tried going on the manufacturers website and it didn't say anything how high the front sight had to be. Maybe I'll just take a dive on it.