PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading

hkwinger
07-23-2012, 9:00 PM
Just got a lee 1000 loader to try to reload my own 45 colt. Got everything setup (rant: I don't know why they kill tree's with their "setup instructions", as they are completely useless, I probably could have put it together faster if I thought that they forgot to include them).

FYI I am using unique 7.5 grains on a lead flat nose 250 grain bullet. I am using winchester primers and brass.

So I screwed up my first few rounds. When the instructions say that the bullet seating die may require minor adjustments, apparently they mean that your first round will seat all the way inside the brass. I had a few other rounds not fully seat the primer. I am figuring out this is a function of "stroke" of the press, and I hope to get it soon.

So my question is since obviously I am not going to shoot them, how do I responsibly dispose of them.

Any other tips greatly appreciated!

XDRoX
07-23-2012, 9:05 PM
Just got a lee 1000 loader to try to reload my own 45 colt. Got everything setup (rant: I don't know why they kill tree's with their "setup instructions", as they are completely useless, I probably could have put it together faster if I thought that they forgot to include them).

FYI I am using unique 7.5 grains on a lead flat nose 250 grain bullet. I am using winchester primers and brass.

So I screwed up my first few rounds. When the instructions say that the bullet seating die may require minor adjustments, apparently they mean that your first round will seat all the way inside the brass. I had a few other rounds not fully seat the primer. I am figuring out this is a function of "stroke" of the press, and I hope to get it soon.

So my question is since obviously I am not going to shoot them, how do I responsibly dispose of them.

Any other tips greatly appreciated!

Either bury them in the backyard or you can drop them in the can at the range labeled "live rounds" or "hazmat."

Dark Mod
07-23-2012, 9:07 PM
Pull em, re-use the components

Bill Steele
07-23-2012, 9:23 PM
Get one of these, it will come in handy: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5950

hkwinger
07-23-2012, 9:27 PM
Get one of these, it will come in handy: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5950

If I get one of those and recover the bullet and remove the powder, can I use the normal de-primer die, or will this potentially set off the primer?

Thanks

Bill Steele
07-23-2012, 9:56 PM
If I get one of those and recover the bullet and remove the powder, can I use the normal de-primer die, or will this potentially set off the primer?

Thanks

You can size and deprime like normal, no problem. The primer material is on the other side of the anvil, just go slow as the pin contacts the anvil.

Or, you can take the decap pin out of the die and run the case through again, everything else the same.

BTW, if you use method one above and elect to deprime and catch the primer, you can just drop it back in the primer tray and use it again.

blockfort
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Hodgdon and Lee customer service both told me that you can de-prime live primers, and I've done it without problems. But always wear safety goggle when you are dealing with primers or powder.

Fyathyrio
07-23-2012, 10:28 PM

Thanks
That's kind of a personal choice. Many here do this when needed (myself included on occasion) and re-use the primer without issue. Many say never do this. Should you decide to try and recover the primer, slow and steady is the rule, and don't have any other primers nearby in the press to add to the possible boom. Since the primer issue is that they aren't seated fully, then once you've removed the bullet and powder, it would be less hazardous to just seat the primer fully.

Don't know what method you're using to learn your press, but I found it easiest to only have one piece of brass in there at a time until I was comfortable with the whole process, then I started going progressive.

BACKTOSHOOTING
07-24-2012, 6:44 AM
I recently started on the Pro 1000 also and started with one shell at a time and watched every thing to learn what was happening on each stage and also had the same problems as you.

I'm now up to 1000 rds loaded and went to the full progressive mode and have ocasional problems but im up to about 100 rds and hour and happy with that rate [I'm not in any hurry]

It seems to me that the machine takes some time to break in and run smoother and for you to also get the feel of the machine to work properly so just keep at it and be patient.

Cowboy T
07-24-2012, 9:16 AM

Tell me about it. They were bad enough that I decided to do something about it.

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/pro1000.html

I reload .45 Colt on one of mine on a regular basis (also does the .44's with the same shell plate, #11). It's a great press for doing this round...once you get it dialed in. The vids in the above link will show you how how I got mine dialed in, as well as some operational tips when you're pulling the handle.

hkwinger
07-25-2012, 6:58 AM
50 rounds loaded and I think well. I will find time to shoot them and hopefully they will be good.

A few questions popped up. First, when I am done, should/can I leave powder in the red loading dispenser. I wanted to clean up after I was finished and removing the red flask was a mess. Do you guys unload it after every session, or leave it. Is there a trick to unloading it without creating a mess?

Second, for you cowboy shooters. I was using disk 82 in accordance with the directions that came with the unit. It was supposed to throw 7.2 grains. I weighed it and it was only throwing 6 grains. I switched to the next higher disk before I loaded that the chart said 8 grains and when I weighed that out it came at 7. This is where I loaded at. Its unique on a 250 grain weight.

Do you guys also notice that the charts do not correspond with actual pours, and it is correct to go off of the scale (new and properly calibrated)? I read not to go below 6 grains with this powder and with the margin of error, I chose to go one measurement higher.

Thanks again for the help

Bill Steele
07-25-2012, 7:09 AM
50 rounds loaded and I think well. I will find time to shoot them and hopefully they will be good.

A few questions popped up. First, when I am done, should/can I leave powder in the red loading dispenser. I wanted to clean up after I was finished and removing the red flask was a mess. Do you guys unload it after every session, or leave it. Is there a trick to unloading it without creating a mess?

Second, for you cowboy shooters. I was using disk 82 in accordance with the directions that came with the unit. It was supposed to throw 7.2 grains. I weighed it and it was only throwing 6 grains. I switched to the next higher disk before I loaded that the chart said 8 grains and when I weighed that out it came at 7. This is where I loaded at. Its unique on a 250 grain weight.

Do you guys also notice that the charts do not correspond with actual pours, and it is correct to go off of the scale (new and properly calibrated)? I read not to go below 6 grains with this powder and with the margin of error, I chose to go one measurement higher.

Thanks again for the help

It depends on the powder, some will attack the plastic, causing it to craze and get foggy. I always empty mine, but others leave it, The hoppers on Lee AD are pretty cheap to replace in any case.

I make a paper funnel to pour the powder back into the bottle.

Not all the powders drop at the density on the Lee chart. Some, like W231 are pretty close and others like Unique are waaay off. Last time I used it on a Lee AD, Unique was like 20% off what the chart said. Just use the cavity that gives you the right weight.

Good luck, have fun.

blockfort
07-25-2012, 7:23 AM
Does the lee 1000 powder reservoir twist to open and close the valve like the one on my lee challenger? Is that where your mess came from when you removed it?

hkwinger
07-25-2012, 7:31 AM
Does the lee 1000 powder reservoir twist to open and close the valve like the one on my lee challenger? Is that where your mess came from when you removed it?

I turned the reservoir off and unscrewed it. There was a bunch of powder still in the measure and around that area. I am guessing I need to turn the reservoir off and run a load through.

Also I noticed that the spent primers drop under the press. That is a pain. It looks like I need to unbolt the press to clean those up.

bandook
07-25-2012, 5:48 PM
After you turn off the hopper there is still 2-3 loads left in the chute. Use a primed case (fired or new) and dump the loads back into the hopper. (dump each load or you will make that mess anyway if a double charge overflows the case capacity)

hkwinger
07-25-2012, 9:36 PM
Thanks for all your help guys,

Last question (for tonight), I noticed that my brass is not crimped at the bullet when compared to a factory load. Is there a setting on the die that I am missing?

Are these loads OK to shoot?

hkwinger
07-28-2012, 6:37 PM
Just got done shooting my first 50 round of 45 colt. 96% success rate. Nothing major, but 2 rounds went into the cylinder and jammed up the gun when I rotated it to cycle more. I quickly learned to take apart the SAA in the field. The primers were not 100% set. I had no idea that the tolerances were so tight on the revolver. Both are just out enough to catch, but when I was loading them they were not noticeably different than the others. I think I will be able to catch them from now on.

The rounds were much more accurate than I expected. I did not feel that they were over or under charged. I did notice however, that they were dirty. Real dirty. The spent brass did not expand like factory ammo and I did not have to use my ejector rod, and the cases were black with soot at the top, some even had a few dots of unburnt powder. I also experienced a lot of smoke. Normally I shoot outdoors, so I cant say for sure it it was more than the factory ammo, but I can say it was a lot more than the factory .40's I also shot. One round had a bit of flash come from the barrel, but it did not feel over charged.

I am thinking that this may have to do with my crimping issue, and I will give the next batch a little more crimp.

Anyways, these were my experiences, as always, advice appreciated.

Bill Steele
07-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Just got done shooting my first 50 round of 45 colt. 96% success rate. Nothing major, but 2 rounds went into the cylinder and jammed up the gun when I rotated it to cycle more. I quickly learned to take apart the SAA in the field. The primers were not 100% set. I had no idea that the tolerances were so tight on the revolver. Both are just out enough to catch, but when I was loading them they were not noticeably different than the others. I think I will be able to catch them from now on.

The rounds were much more accurate than I expected. I did not feel that they were over or under charged. I did notice however, that they were dirty. Real dirty. The spent brass did not expand like factory ammo and I did not have to use my ejector rod, and the cases were black with soot at the top, some even had a few dots of unburnt powder. I also experienced a lot of smoke. Normally I shoot outdoors, so I cant say for sure it it was more than the factory ammo, but I can say it was a lot more than the factory .40's I also shot. One round had a bit of flash come from the barrel, but it did not feel over charged.

I am thinking that this may have to do with my crimping issue, and I will give the next batch a little more crimp.

Anyways, these were my experiences, as always, advice appreciated.

A liitle more crimp will likely help, a little more powder will probably help as well.

bruce381
07-28-2012, 11:43 PM
""BTW, if you use method one above and elect to deprime and catch the primer, you can just drop it back in the primer tray and use it again"'

Unless you fracture/smash the primer pellet under the anvil you MAY then have a dud to me for 2 cents savings each I toss them.

I wack apart any that are not seated right and then re use the whole primed case just put it in the 'rotation"

hkwinger
09-07-2012, 7:23 AM
So I have about 1000 rounds down the pipe loaded with my new lee. Thanks to everyone giving me tips to get the setup up and running smoothly. I had my first incident yesterday while loading. Nothing huge, but it makes me wonder. I loaded a round that looked a little off. The bullet looked slightly more round than the other flat nose lead. I am guessing with a copper jacket, I may have missed it all together. I do weigh every single round, so I am sure I would have caught it.

I pulled the bullet and found a 40 case had lodged completely into the 45 colt case. When I pulled it, the lead bullet sat on top of a powdered 40 case. My lee press de primer had punched a hole in the spent 40 primer, so who knows if it would have fired if I completely missed it, but it may have. I normally inspect the brass, but just missed this one. Since I de-prime in an entire separate step before tumbling, I suspect the 40 was in there all along. I only reload the 45 colt so it must have ejected into my brass collection at the range.

Has this happened to anyone else, and what do you think would have happened to my gun if I missed it. I wish I took pics but I didn't.

Thanks

JNunez23
09-07-2012, 9:14 AM
Pull em, re-use the components

Yeah, no need to throw ANYTHING away buddy! Bullet puller is like your magic eraser ;)