PDA

View Full Version : 2nd form of ID for gun pick up?

Mr.1904
07-23-2012, 8:40 PM
Hello all. So today i went to go pick up a pistol i had dros a couple weeks ago.

I called earlier in the day just to make sure everything was gtg because i was out of town for a few days. They informed me that i was good but i needed to produce a second form of ID for pick up. I dont have another form of .gov picture ID so i grabbed an ID card with my name, dob, and picture. At first i thought it was just the specific FFL that required it just to be safe. Once i got there i asked if it was their operating procedure and he said no, the DOJ had requested it. He also said that he wasnt sure if my second form of Id would satisy them and if i received a phone call from them that would be the reason why. In also asked if this has become standard issue for DROs and he also said no. Stating that it was just me whom they asked for a second form of Id from.

Any thoughts? Kinda made me a little uneasy as to why it was just me.

chknlyps2
07-23-2012, 8:46 PM
I use DMV car registration or my C&R licence (has to have your physical address on it though)

TripleThreat
07-23-2012, 8:49 PM
You may of missed the OP's question. He was asked specifically for a "2nd" form of ID by way of the DOJ, not for proof of address which we're all asked for.

Mr.1904
07-23-2012, 8:49 PM
Thats the thing. They didnt ask for a proof of residence like a car registration (in which i normally use) or a utility bill to match the address. But asked for a second form of Id instead.

stix213
07-23-2012, 9:00 PM
What's the deal with your 1st ID? Is it the usual CDL with your current address on it that matched your proof of residency?

Mr.1904
07-23-2012, 9:21 PM
Yup. Drivers liscense. I brought my registration with me but they said it wasnt needed. As long as what i put on the Dros matched what was on my drivers liscense i was good.

Librarian
07-23-2012, 9:48 PM
DOJ requested a second form of ID?

DOJ has no legal basis to do that.

Their own FAQ (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs) tells dealers, correctly What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?

Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC section 12071(c)(1))

What documentation is acceptable to demonstrate proof of residency for handgun purchasers?

Utility bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or
The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.
Residential lease that bears the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or
The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Residential lease" means either of the following:
A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant)agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time

or
A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.
Property deed the bears the individual's name and either of the following:

or
The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Property deed" means either or the following:
A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust

or
A valid Certificate of title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.
Current, government-issued license, permit, or registration, other than a CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

or
The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

Examples of acceptable proof of residency:
Current DMV registrations.
Electricity, gas, cable bill with purchaser's name onit from within the last 3 months.
Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract.

Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:
Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
Cellular phone bill.

Do you suppose you could ask the FFL exactly who at DOJ said such a thing, when, and how that was communicated to the store?

Purple K
07-23-2012, 9:50 PM
See this thread about DOJ delays http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=572870

Librarian
07-23-2012, 10:29 PM
See this thread about DOJ delays http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=572870

My thought, too.

Mr.1904
07-23-2012, 10:46 PM
I know of the thread but was not specifically delayed. The gentleman helping me literally had no idea why they needed it. He just knew they needed it.

Im assuming i could call and ask how they communicated it. Would that be beyond my boundries as a customer?

They charged me next to nothing for the whole process so i wouldnt want to nag at them

vincnet11
07-23-2012, 11:07 PM
OP, when you DROS'd the firearm, did you already show your California ID/Licence and your 2nd proof of residency. This is what a normal procedure should be, when you pick up your gun all you need to bring is your ID and DROS/Receipt.

They charged me next to nothing for the whole process so i wouldnt want to nag at themSo you didn't pay for the pistol yet and the $25 background check?

Mr.1904
07-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Next to nothing as in fees. It was an out of state transfer. I paid for Dros. And no i had my 2nd proof of residency and they told me it was not needed.

mossy
07-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Next to nothing as in fees. It was an out of state transfer. I paid for Dros. And no i had my 2nd proof of residency and they told me it was not needed.

i am a little bit confused, did you buy a C&R gun?

WootSauce
07-23-2012, 11:48 PM
It's because the DOJ knows you're one of those troublesome calgun a-holes that they keep getting reported by, so they're messing with you!

:TFH:

...but seriously I have no idea, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=572870 this was my first thought too.

My go to source for things like this is Librarian... if he's puzzled then I'm completely lost...

Mr.1904
07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Nope. Glock 26

mossy
07-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Thats the thing. They didnt ask for a proof of residence like a car registration (in which i normally use) or a utility bill to match the address. But asked for a second form of Id instead.

so they did not copy any proof of residency when you bought the gun? this might be why the DOJ put a hold on it, but dont take my word for it.

vincnet11
07-24-2012, 1:22 AM
so they did not copy any proof of residency when you bought the gun? this might be why the DOJ put a hold on it, but dont take my word for it.The OP never mentioned the DOJ putting the DROS on hold, the background check went smoothly as he was just out of town and he's cleared to pick up his pistol. They just want him to present a Government ID.

@ OP the gunstore is giving you FUD, they're not following normal procedure. Print a copy of the law librarian posted and show it to those boneheads. What kind of Government ID are they looking for a CIA badge or something. If they wont follow the normal procedure report them to the DOJ.

Edit: The 2nd proof of Residency requires that it must have your current address as your California issued ID or form 4473. If the shop accepts a Government ID without an address for a handgun and gets audited they could lose their licence.

tenpercentfirearms
07-24-2012, 5:57 AM
They are full of it. The DOJ doesn't contact people and ask for a second form of ID. Those of you forgetting that your favorite thing to say is "Gun shops are the worst at spreading FUD" crack me up. This is FUD if I have ever heard it.

Does your driver's license address match your current address?

If not, then my guess is the guy is severely warping the Federal requirement that you show another government issued document.