PDA

View Full Version : bolting safe to concrete floor

msmith556
07-23-2012, 4:57 PM
So I got a safe and started the bolting down process. I got 3/8 by 5" redhead wedge anchors. I used a heavy-duty drill not a hammer drill, with masonry bits, I was able to drill the hole and install one anchor but the other I couldnt, the drill bit just stops going down around 2 inches down and wont continue. It looks like the hole is on top of rebar.
If I choose another location Ill have to drill through the safe and then could possibly hit rebar again. I dont want to do that so Im thinking of getting a bit that can go through rebar, I looked at homedepot and didnt find any bits like that. Where do you get those? Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Revoman
07-23-2012, 5:28 PM
A construction grade hammer drill should do the job. Hilti comes to mind, but I'm sure that there are others out there.

GMG
07-23-2012, 5:33 PM
Are you doing the install in the garage ? If so make sure your not on a tensioned slab !

roll2li
07-23-2012, 5:45 PM
Rebar mats like stud walls are tied pretty consistently. Standard mat should be in squares, so unless the distance between your anchor points is something standard like 12", 16" or 20" you should just be able to shift it over. You can look into rebar cutting bits (I'm surprised you didn't find them at home depot), or bite the bullet and get an impact driver. I would hazard to guess that a heavy duty corded drill may not have the power to cut through reinforcing steel either.

M1NM
07-23-2012, 6:14 PM
There are combination steel/concrete drills but the Hilti ones are $$$. Since you're only drilling one hole use a regular drill on the steel then finish up with the concrete one. When you buy the drill for the steel make sure you get a good one for steel - the cheapos are even marginal in wood. You'll probably have to sharpen the drill a couple of times and keep the rpm down too fast and you'll just burn the corners off the bit.

msmith556
07-23-2012, 7:11 PM
what about this one,
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-HCFC2061-8-Inch-4-Inch-SDS-plus/dp/B001NGPAEG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1343098405&sr=8-5&keywords=rebar+cutting+bit

and if I got that one would It go right through or would I have to start with a smaller size such as 1/4.

DEVOREGUNNER
07-23-2012, 7:19 PM
Look on your garage slab near the vehicle door for an imprint in the slab that says "Post tension slab, do not cut or drill." If the imprint is there DO NOT continue to drill. Cutting a post tension cable can compromise the structural integrity of the slab. Repair of the post tension cable with no other damage occuring can be $1500 or more to repair.

ArmedDefense
07-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Look on your garage slab near the vehicle door for an imprint in the slab that says "Post tension slab, do not cut or drill." If the imprint is there DO NOT continue to drill. Cutting a post tension cable can compromise the structural integrity of the slab. Repair of the post tension cable with no other damage occuring can be $1500 or more to repair.

Are all slabs labelled accordingly? Label is normally always located by the garage doors?

I'll be doing this pretty soon too. :cool2:

DEVOREGUNNER
07-24-2012, 7:55 AM
Only slabs that are Post tension will have the imprint stamped in the concrete and they are almost always near the side of the vehicle door opening. Some newer homes also had a sign on the firewall of the garage near the fire door in addition to the slab imprint.

joeblo
07-24-2012, 8:50 AM
Epoxy is good if you cant get too far down.

TheSafeMover
07-24-2012, 9:50 AM
Your best bet is to rent a hammer drill. It will make your life a whole lot easier, a good bit and a hammer drill will go right through rebar. Or just move up 2" and drill through the steel in the safe first then go into the concrete.