View Full Version : Rust removal

07-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I have a little bit of rust in the bore of my mossberg 590a1 its very slight but I don't want it to get worse. I've put clp and ran to bore snake through it several timed and it only takes a little bit away. Any tips on how to remove it? Ive also noticed a couple of scratches down the inside of the barrell, I went through about 100 rounds of slugs a while back could that be the cause? Thanks guys I will try and post pics asap. Ok for whatever reason it will not let me post pics from my laptop or my phone awsome.

07-23-2012, 1:38 PM
The simplest thing to do is: shoot it.

There is nothing like something going down the barrel around 1300 fps to clean out some rust!

After you shoot out the rust, clean out the lead fouling and make sure its oiled for storage.

07-23-2012, 1:40 PM
I forgot to add that I would just use birdshot if you have some. No reason to shoot expensive slugs.

07-23-2012, 2:25 PM
I also recommend using Shooter Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner. Soak the barrel overnight and brush clean afterwards. Worked on an older shotgun I purchased

07-23-2012, 2:43 PM
Either have this moved to shotgun forum, or PM AIPPI. He will have best solution for smoothbore shotgun