PDA

View Full Version : I bought my first shotgun today

FLAWLS1
07-23-2012, 9:43 AM
Just got back from my LGS. After reading a ton of threads on the 930 SPX within the last few hours I decided to get one. I checked everything out with a fine tooth comb and everything checked out so I picked it up. I really wanted and still want a Benelli M4, but for now the SPX will have to do. Later down the road I will most likely buy an M4 too. Now, what sling?? I like the slings that carry the shells.

hcbr
07-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Nice, congrats, throw us some pics and some range reviews!

controlled_burst
07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Congrats, I have one on order myself. There isn't a ton of parts but finding a sling should be the easiest

Greg

CasperSYTFU
07-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it.
Keep her clean! And if it's new, get the initial cleaning done before use!

FLAWLS1
07-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it.
Keep her clean! And if it's new, get the initial cleaning done before use!

Yeah, it's new and the first thing I'm going to do when I bring it home is field strip it. Can't wait!

jessegpresley
07-23-2012, 1:16 PM
Vickers Blue Force Gear. Only hunters use the slings with shells.

billped
07-23-2012, 1:34 PM
Vickers Blue Force Gear. Only hunters use the slings with shells.

As a hunter, I don't use one of those either - all shells are on or in my vest.

I always keep the gun as simple and light as possible. For HD I have a small number of them on the stock, but that's it.

mossy
07-23-2012, 3:06 PM
when you buy a new gun pics of it are mandatory. :D

bsg
07-23-2012, 5:24 PM
I always keep the gun as simple and light as possible.

+1.

dc2integra
07-23-2012, 6:10 PM
Nice congrats this will be my next addition.Id skip the sling with the shell carriers that would add too much weight.

wjc
07-23-2012, 8:09 PM
when you buy a new gun pics of it are mandatory. :D

+1

Pics or it didn't happen.

:43:

pc_load_letter
07-23-2012, 8:24 PM
yakshemash!

shortyforty
07-23-2012, 9:44 PM
You're gonna love that 930spx. A buddy of mine has one and it performs flawlessly with all ammo. It's very impressive. FYI It was absolutely filthy when he bought it. The gun was BNIB straight from the factory. Filthy! Unreal filthy! Did you get the pistol grip butt-stock or standard butt-stock? Congrats!

FLAWLS1
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
You're gonna love that 930spx. A buddy of mine has one and it performs flawlessly with all ammo. It's very impressive. FYI It was absolutely filthy when he bought it. The gun was BNIB straight from the factory. Filthy! Unreal filthy! Did you get the pistol grip butt-stock or standard butt-stock? Congrats!

I don't really like the feel of the pistol grip. I shot my cousins and he has a pistol grip, but it didn't do anything for me. So, I got the monte carlo standard stock which feels great!

What ammo should I use for the break in period and how many shots is considered broken in? I've read that you should use heavy loads, but what brand? Also, what's the difference between slugs and 00 buck shot? What length shells should I get?

NYCShooter
07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Also, what's the difference between slugs and 00 buck shot?

Is that a serous question?

FLAWLS1
07-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Is that a serous question?

Yup, I'm new to shotguns:(

WDE91
07-23-2012, 10:36 PM
start reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell

slug is a bullet that is full barrel diameter
buckshot is multiple large sized pellets

frankm
07-23-2012, 10:38 PM
00 buck is something like .35 caliber pellets inside the shell. There's something like 8 of them. A slug is one solid piece of lead, it's a bullet basically.

frankm
07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
What ammo should I use for the break in period and how many shots is considered broken in? I've read that you should use heavy loads, but what brand? Also, what's the difference between slugs and 00 buck shot? What length shells should I get?

Don't need to break it in. Any major brand is good. Get 2 3/4" inch shells. You don't need the 3", that's overkill and hurts more when you shoot. LOL.

FLAWLS1
07-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Cool, thanks everyone!

shortyforty
07-24-2012, 12:16 AM
The 930 spx that my buddy bought needed NO "break in". It is the latest version I think. He started out with the cheapest federal ammo you can get at wally world. The gun has never had a failure of any kind and is lightning fast. 00buck in 12 gauge is 9, .33 cal pellets loaded in one shell. The Remington 00 buck moves above 1300 fps. A 12 gauge slug is a 1oz or 437.5 grain lead projectile. Both are very effective stoppers. Don't let anyone tell you that you dont have to aim a shotgun. Regardless of the load that you are using you still have to aim your shotgun with some measure of purpose. The thought or premise that you can just pull the trigger on a shotgun and clear a room is completely false. At close range, bird shot will completely dis-member and destroy almost anything including humans and animals. When you have the opportunity to get some range time with your gun you can experiment with different loads and you will see the difference in patterns with different loads and how those patterns change at various ranges.

FLAWLS1
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the helpful post shortyforty! Trying to decide on what sling and if I should get a side saddle.

FLAWLS1
07-27-2012, 2:50 AM
Just placed an order on my charging handle and Nordic clamp. It looks like the Nordic +2 extension is out of stock. Sucks because I was going to buy that too. I guess I can get a TLR 1 though.

BonnieB
08-19-2012, 1:53 PM
I just ordered a new Weatherby SA-08. It's in jail at the moment. I read the manual, and it has a rather elaborate schedule of shoot-clean, shoot-clean 10 times, shoot shoot shoot - clean and so on.

My good friend who's teaching me shotguns said "just clean the hell out of it, coming out of the box, shoot it and clean it well at the end of each day of shooting".

Opinions?

CK_32
08-19-2012, 2:22 PM
Congrats

llamatrnr
08-19-2012, 3:23 PM
You may want to start with 7/8 oz bird shot shells just to get the feel of it before moving on to the big stuff, just sayin'. . .