View Full Version : Requirements for trading (not selling) a home built firearm?

07-23-2012, 7:49 AM
Hi guys. I've done some research and I've read many posts here including the stickies on the subject. But I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the answer I need. Hopin you can help with that.

I've build an AR15 lower from an 80%. I did the work myself, and complied with the law every step of the way. I have used my build successfully for many moons, and have no intention of selling it. But then one day a buddy falls in love with it and offers to trade me a C&R for it straight up.

At this point, I have a non serial numbered, non maker's marked completed lower. How do I go about legally transfering this lower, to him? The C&R is 50+ years old so I can take it home with me no problem that day. But the AR15... I'm not sure what to do.

The stickies here make it pretty clear that if I ever choose to sell it, I need to engrave it (as per ATF regs) with my name, where I built it, and with a serial number. They then go on to make it clear that if I was selling it, I would need to meet the buyer at an FFL and have them complete the DROS procedure, pay all the fees and then the buyer would need to wait 10 days before picking it up.

But this is a non-for-financial-profit trade. Does that change things?

I'm hesitating only because my friend if fairly educated and well read on these things, and he's convinced that since this lower is "home made", since I'm not a manufacturer and since I'm not selling it for profit, I can just hand it over and he takes it home as is.

Can anyone help clarify this for me? Maybe a link or two to the pertinent PC so I can triple check myself? I want to do the "right" thing, but I also want to do the bare minimum absolutely required by these asinine laws of ours.

Thanks for your time!

07-23-2012, 8:14 AM
You have it right, mark it as per ATF and then a FFL needs to DROS it to him with a 10 day wait. Law cares not about how much was paid.

07-23-2012, 8:19 AM
This could come back and sting you and or your friend, I would definitely follow procedure. PITA but the right thing to do so you can sleep at night and not worry about the black helicopters coming down on your street.

07-23-2012, 9:02 AM
But this is a non-for-financial-profit trade. Does that change things?

Nope. The state couldn't care less about the finances or dollar amounts. All they care about is that a gun is changing ownership.

The C&R has an exemption, but your home-build does not. PPT it is.