PDA

View Full Version : dry fire to de-cock for storage or not??

reptilla
07-22-2012, 8:54 PM
Ok so I just got my xt 17 out of jail a few days ago and after going through it I need to know is it ok to dry fire it to take tension off the firing pin spring or do I just store it cocked all the time??? I have always been told no dry fire on a rimfire and never questioned it till now. Thanks guys.

Khafre
07-22-2012, 9:49 PM
While dry firing is generally not recommended for rimfire firearms, one time (even quite a few) shouldn't hurt. What you want to avoid is doing something like dry fire training on an empty chamber where the firing pin strikes the chamber hundreds to thousands of times.

The manual should state explicitly if you shoud not dry fire at all. It should also state if you should store the rifle de-cocked.

I do not have any experience with the xt series, but I have an old winchester bolt action that I am able to ease the bolt foward while decocking, maybe you can do the same.

Also think of a rifle like a 10/22 that doesn't have a last shot bolt hold open feature. Unless you are really good at counting rounds you will end up dryfiring that rifle hundreds of times. There are alot of 10/22s still going strong after decades of shooting.

Have fun with your new rifle!

Dannicus
07-22-2012, 10:03 PM
If its the rifle I'm thinking of you should be able to pull the trigger with the bolt handle up and then when you lower it the firing pin will lower too.

Intimid8tor
07-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I use snapcaps to drop the hammer if the gun doesn't have a decocker. Just my personal preference.

M. Crane
07-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I use snapcaps to drop the hammer if the gun doesn't have a decocker. Just my personal preference.

Snapcaps are great. Get some.

reptilla
07-23-2012, 9:19 AM
The instructions dont say anything about no dry fire,maybe I will just call Marlin and ask or just invest in some snap caps

davek8s
07-23-2012, 9:30 AM
I dry fire all my guns for storage, even my rimfire guns. But it's just my preference

greybeard
07-23-2012, 9:42 AM
Keep a spent case and put it in the chamber and then dry fire.

korny351
07-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Use a nylon hollow-wall anchor similar to this.

http://wedo.hillmangroup.com/item/hollow-wall-anchors/ribbed-plastic-anchor/370326?

Not good for extensive dry-firing, but adequate for occasional use.

855R
07-23-2012, 1:20 PM
I have just inserted a empty .22 shell through the open bolt, close bolt and pull trigger, done. I just leave the shell in there untill I rack a loaded mag.

Lifeon2whls
07-23-2012, 1:32 PM
I have just inserted a empty .22 shell through the open bolt, close bolt and pull trigger, done. I just leave the shell in there untill I rack a loaded mag.

Or when I was a kid I would pull the bullet with a pair of pliers, dump the powder and then pull the trigger...ah the good 'ole days.

foesgth
07-23-2012, 1:33 PM
If its the rifle I'm thinking of you should be able to pull the trigger with the bolt handle up and then when you lower it the firing pin will lower too.

This should work with most bolt guns.

Izzy43
07-23-2012, 1:48 PM

What he said. Don't complicate it. With the bolt all the way back, hold the trigger in the fired position and close the bolt. Firing pin will not be set and no tension on the spring. Forget the empty cases and dry wall anchors, not needed for the purpose that you asked about. Now if you want to practice trigger pull then the #4 drywall anchors (yellow ones) are the answer. Great advice there. I use them all the time, much cheaper than snapcaps and they also extract and eject just like fired shells and can be used many times.

stilly
07-23-2012, 2:38 PM

TIME OUT

Please tell me where to get GOOD snapcaps for the .22LR. I love snap caps and all that but the three that I was given for .22lr broke off at the rims after about 10 uses. I understand that the centerfire snapcaps are great to have but what are some good ones for a .22lr because of the nature of the beast hitting the rim I would think that the only ones to have are gonna be cheapies that are menat to get destroyed after a few hits.

Please edumacate me on this.

stilly
07-23-2012, 2:40 PM
Keep a spent case and put it in the chamber and then dry fire.

Okay. This DOES make sense. But I would rant to put a ball or plastic tip or something in it to signify that it is a snapcap.
This would be cheaper then a snapcap though and it would be brass and I have thousands of them and they are free so okay. This will work. Good advice here today!

Funny how things like this never occur to me sometimes.

Intimid8tor
07-23-2012, 2:56 PM
TIME OUT

Please tell me where to get GOOD snapcaps for the .22LR. I love snap caps and all that but the three that I was given for .22lr broke off at the rims after about 10 uses. I understand that the centerfire snapcaps are great to have but what are some good ones for a .22lr because of the nature of the beast hitting the rim I would think that the only ones to have are gonna be cheapies that are menat to get destroyed after a few hits.

I have some blue ones. They definitely won't last as centerfire ones, but they should work for dropping the hammer for storage. Come to think of it, I might have to make some out of delrin so they are a little more resistant.

thomashoward
07-23-2012, 3:09 PM
What he said. Don't complicate it. With the bolt all the way back, hold the trigger in the fired position and close the bolt. Firing pin will not be set and no tension on the spring.

THIS^^^

reptilla
07-23-2012, 3:40 PM
Thanks for all the awsome tips guys.....thats why I love it here at calguns!

Izzy43
07-23-2012, 3:45 PM
TIME OUT

OK. $4/100 #4 plastic drywall anchors that work perfect for dry firing and can be used many many times before they are no longer usable available at Lowes or Home Depot or
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=22lr+snap+caps&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7917254887&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8637656411497680704&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_8eietend9z_b for 3-4 times the cost for a lot fewer items. It's your money but..............

Gryff
07-23-2012, 3:53 PM
Please tell me where to get GOOD snapcaps for the .22LR. I love snap caps and all that but the three that I was given for .22lr broke off at the rims after about 10 uses.

I don't believe there are .22LR "snap caps" (devices used to protect the firing pin through a spring to provide less-abrupt deceleration). What exists are designed to do exactly what happened to you (they are simply plastic mock rounds, where the plastic material provides the deceleration). They are good for only a few uses before you throw them away.

donw
07-24-2012, 10:59 AM

:yes::iagree:

you may also insert a spent cartridge case and 'fire' and simply leave the cartridge in place...