PDA

View Full Version : Would like to go back hunting... newbie here.

bryanrmt
07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Hello guys, I have been living here in California for 3 years now after I migrated here from my home country. I was into hunting back there in my home land and it was easy to do it there.. I just get my rifle and some ammo and go to the mountains and hunt.. I can even go by myself if I wanted to. I'm planning to get into that thing again here in California but I don't know where to start... is there any organization out there for a newbie hunters? Also what type of rifles do I need to have here to hunt deer down to rabbits?

devil83dog@hotmail.com
07-22-2012, 11:15 AM
all you need is a 30.06 :jump:

devil83dog@hotmail.com
07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
a hunting license and some tags for jack rabbits............well.......at least here in socal.....

toby
07-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Bryan, welcome to Calguns, you will need to attend a safety class 8-10 hrs you can do part of that online. There are special seasons for each variety of game, some seasons overlap some do not. All big game requires Tags for that species, small game requires no tags except for Bobcats, you will need at least two if not three different guns for hunting. rimfire,centerfire,shotgun,these requirements will vary depending on animals hunted. Check out the STICKY second down from top of this page (DFG) information.

bryanrmt
07-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I didn't even know what 30.06 means until I google it.. btw will I still be able to eat some rabbits meat after I shot them with it? LOL!

I was only using airgun type of rifle before and its really effective on those mountain chicken we called "Labuyo". Pretty much accurate too.

chknlyps2
07-22-2012, 6:28 PM
What area are you in? If you are close enough to Bass Pro Shop they have a hunters safety class and when I took my son to it, they gave you the fee back in a gift card to spend in the store. I thought that was pretty cool.

mzhunter
07-22-2012, 6:32 PM
where u live?

bryanrmt
07-22-2012, 7:40 PM
Socal. In Ventura Ca

mzhunter
07-22-2012, 7:57 PM
shotgun for birds n rabbits
223 or bigger for deer or varmints
you in simi or oxnard or ventura?

Warrior King
07-22-2012, 8:00 PM
Hello guys, I have been living here in California for 3 years now after I migrated here from my home country. I was into hunting back there in my home land and it was easy to do it there.. I just get my rifle and some ammo and go to the mountains and hunt.. I can even go by myself if I wanted to. I'm planning to get into that thing again here in California but I don't know where to start... is there any organization out there for a newbie hunters? Also what type of rifles do I need to have here to hunt deer down to rabbits?

His home country is Texas :)

emilychung
07-22-2012, 8:00 PM
What is the meaning of 30.06 ?

'

StratORcaster
07-22-2012, 8:02 PM
Thirty "OT" six. 30 caliber rifle which was introduced in 1906.

StratORcaster
07-22-2012, 8:09 PM
:confused: :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield

taperxz
07-22-2012, 8:10 PM
I saw that but it wasn't invented in 06 just standardized by the army in 06

StratORcaster
07-22-2012, 8:12 PM
Oh... I guess I don't see the word "invented"

Warrior King
07-22-2012, 10:20 PM
What is the meaning of 30.06 ?

When you see numbers like that just google them and then click on the wikipedia google link which will explain the caliber, history, and best use of the caliber etc. ...good way to sort it all out.

bryanrmt
07-23-2012, 2:38 AM
Bryan, welcome to Calguns, you will need to attend a safety class 8-10 hrs you can do part of that online. There are special seasons for each variety of game, some seasons overlap some do not. All big game requires Tags for that species, small game requires no tags except for Bobcats, you will need at least two if not three different guns for hunting. rimfire,centerfire,shotgun,these requirements will vary depending on animals hunted. Check out the STICKY second down from top of this page (DFG) information.

Thanks for the info!

vega
07-23-2012, 4:41 AM
Bryan where in Ventura? PM me if you do not want to post it in open forum. I thought Labuyos are long gone in PH. Me, my son and friends are going rabbit hunting this weekend and there will be another one next month.

You still have time to attend the Hunter safety class and get a permit, i assume you already have a 22 rifle or you can borrow one or get an air rifle if you want to joint the $@*# Rabbit hunt this month.

truep
07-23-2012, 7:46 AM
My mom is from your home country, and I go there every couple years.

I make adobo from cottontail rabbits, and it's really good. Quail adobo is even better than manok, and wild boar and wild goat calderata is the best.

I would get a remington 870 3" express shotgun first. You can hunt quail, chukar, ducks, rabbits, squirrels, turkey, coyotes and more with it. Then if you want to hunt deer and pig, get a 30.06 bolt action. Pretty much, you can hunt anything in California with just 2 guns. My 870 was $289 new, and my 30-06 was about $500, but you can find cheaper. Better to get a cheap gun and a good scope than vice-versa. To get your hunting license, just go to Turner's outdoorsman and ask them to sign you up for a class.