PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Rifle Plates: Protech IMPAC RT Plus vs Midwest Armor MASS-III PLUS

pap0919
07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm looking for hybrid rifle plates that do not require yearly x-ray inspection and that can stop m855 green tips. The most important factor is durability. I am not too concerned with weight or cost. I have narrowed it down to these two choices, but I may have overlooked a better option. Thanks in advance.

ir0nclash86
07-22-2012, 12:04 PM
tag

EvoXRiley
07-22-2012, 1:05 PM
i have steel defender plates, ran my $220 for front and back plates, they are steel so they are about 8 lbs each, but with stand 855 and many other rounds up to 7.62 x 54r

WWW.STEELDEFENDER.COM

luchador768
07-22-2012, 2:59 PM
Evo, what are you useing for a spall guard?

bigdawg86
07-22-2012, 3:07 PM
The OP's first post asking about armor choices only days after a mass shooting where the nutjob was armored like a brinks truck? :nuts:

Welcome to Calguns.

emsp
07-22-2012, 3:12 PM
Call Tim at BulletProofme.com, he will set you up

morthrane
07-22-2012, 4:17 PM
The OP's first post asking about armor choices only days after a mass shooting where the nutjob was armored like a brinks truck? :nuts:

Welcome to Calguns.

Dude wasn't wearing actual armor, just tacticool gear. But yeah...

EvoXRiley
07-22-2012, 9:40 PM
Evo, what are you useing for a spall guard?

Currently I don't have any, I'm changing my vest and will be running a us palms with my Plates under the soft Kevlar.

Librarian
07-22-2012, 9:51 PM
Doesn't go in centerfire rifles; I think it will get some better answers in general guns. No particular forum for body armor.

voiceofreason
07-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Steel Level III plates.

The polyethylene stuff isn't always reliable in stopping stuff like the m855.

Steel Level III can be found fairly cheap, what you give up is weight.

Wear them all day with a chest rig and a carbine, and you will tire of the setup quickly.

You may wish to just go ceramic and treat them with care. They're not as delicate as some would lead you to believe. Do you regularly toss your ballistic vest or plates around? On your body, it won't be damaged, and off your body, you control how they are cared for.

pap0919
07-23-2012, 7:20 AM
Call Tim at BulletProofme.com, he will set you up

Great guy. A few years ago I bought a concealable vest from him. Last time I checked the website there weren't any plates that I thought were suitable for me.

pap0919
07-23-2012, 7:22 AM
Doesn't go in centerfire rifles; I think it will get some better answers in general guns. No particular forum for body armor.

I'm new here and wasn't sure where it should go.

pap0919
07-23-2012, 7:27 AM
Steel Level III plates.

The polyethylene stuff isn't always reliable in stopping stuff like the m855.

Steel Level III can be found fairly cheap, what you give up is weight.

Wear them all day with a chest rig and a carbine, and you will tire of the setup quickly.

You may wish to just go ceramic and treat them with care. They're not as delicate as some would lead you to believe. Do you regularly toss your ballistic vest or plates around? On your body, it won't be damaged, and off your body, you control how they are cared for.

I am starting to realize ceramics are not as fragile as I had previously thought, and I definitely don't throw my gear around.

pap0919
07-23-2012, 7:31 AM

Welcome to Calguns.

It's just a coincidence. I've had a concealable vest for years, but I'm finally ready to add rifle plates.