PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Spirits to Clean Off Cosmoline?

JBaus
07-21-2012, 7:08 PM
Hello Calgunners,

I'm going to get my hands on a Norinco SKS at the end of this month (after jail sentence) and I know that there is still some cosmoline on the rifle (inside/out). I came upon this youtube video which stated that Mineral Spirits is the best cleaner to get cosmoline out even better than Brake Cleaner or Simple Green.

Can anyone vouch for this cleaning liquid/Paint thinner?

Any feedback both useful and useless would be appreciated. haha!

3zFP5ZZQe6g

c good
07-21-2012, 7:12 PM
Mineral Spirits is good to go for all metal and even wood parts for removing cosmoline. Along with a good stiff bristle parts brush and toothbrush for small parts it's the best method. HTH c good

Bangzoom
07-21-2012, 7:14 PM
Yeah spirits works great at 14 bucks a gal

Diesel works too at less than 4 bucks a gal...keep this off the wood

i put the wood in the hot sun and keep wiping it

anothergunnut
07-21-2012, 7:50 PM
I've used mineral spirits to clean cosmoline from rifles and found it to be very effective. I've used it on the wood which helps remove the cosmoline from the wood although putting it on your dash on a hot day helps sweat the oil out of the stock.

Vlad 11
07-21-2012, 8:31 PM
Yes, mineral spirits works great on cosmoline.. if you don't mind nasty fumes

I prefer WD-40, dissolves cosmo like nobody's business safe to use on the wood.

WD, a heat gun and some paper towels does it all simply and cheaply.

be warned -BRAKE CLEANER WILL DESTROY THE STOCK FINISH INSTANTLY-

CS25
07-21-2012, 9:36 PM
Ive used mineral spirits on a mosin. Takes the stuff right off without scrubbing. Just make sure to work in a ventallated area.

norcalsig
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
About 10 years ago i had an 03 ffl license and i was buying rifles left and right. I tried mineral spirits, garbage bag in the sun, everying i could think of to get the cosmo out of those things. A friend of mine who is the one who got me into collecting told me he just uses the dishwasher. So i tried it, broke the gun down put it in and it came out squeeky clean, stock and everything, no effort and no mess. After i pull them out, squirt the barreled action and any other parts with a light coat of oil. Now the stock will have all of the finish removed as well, i usually just rubbed in some tung oil, but do remember that if you are trying to retain the finish of the stock.

Ratters
07-21-2012, 11:26 PM
My Yugo sks had a bunch of cosmoline in the bolt. Baked it in the oven for a bit and hit it with brake cleaner. Gets it out of all the little spaces. All gone. Used wd40 on everything else.

InGrAM
07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Brake/carburetor cleaner does a wonderful job.

barbasol
07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Yep, mineral spirits is good to go. I did exactly what the video poster did with two mosins. For the stock must let them sit in the sun. After even just a few minutes the cosmoline will sweat out. Just wipe it off

ckyrulez
07-22-2012, 3:28 PM
About 10 years ago i had an 03 ffl license and i was buying rifles left and right. I tried mineral spirits, garbage bag in the sun, everying i could think of to get the cosmo out of those things. A friend of mine who is the one who got me into collecting told me he just uses the dishwasher. So i tried it, broke the gun down put it in and it came out squeeky clean, stock and everything, no effort and no mess. After i pull them out, squirt the barreled action and any other parts with a light coat of oil. Now the stock will have all of the finish removed as well, i usually just rubbed in some tung oil, but do remember that if you are trying to retain the finish of the stock.

What dishwasher setting do you use?

RoadKing
07-22-2012, 3:37 PM
I have tried mineral spirits and yes it works. However M-pro 7 works much better and is safe on wood. M-pro 7 also does not have the problem of explosive fumes. Be very careful with the mineral spirits, if you choose to go that route make sure you let any rags you use with the mineral spirits air out completely before putting them in washer or dryer.

have fun!

whatpain
07-22-2012, 3:40 PM
http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/v/vspfiles/photos/5099-2T.jpgi

used that when i got my mosin. worked fine for me. wal mart 5 bucks. pack of cotton rags 3 bucks. i know theyre the evil empire no one has to tell me

ckyrulez
07-22-2012, 8:05 PM
http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/v/vspfiles/photos/5099-2T.jpgi

used that when i got my mosin. worked fine for me. wal mart 5 bucks. pack of cotton rags 3 bucks. i know theyre the evil empire no one has to tell me

in case you haven't heard, walmart is the evil empire

compulsivegunbuyer
07-23-2012, 8:45 AM
Kerosene, $4 a gallon.

1911su16b870
07-23-2012, 9:20 AM
grammaton had a great thread where all he used was a metal trashcan and a portable light. Place firearm in trashcan, clamp portable light to opposite end direct beam at firearm, walk away...heat will melt cosmo and it will flow to the bottom of the can.

gasol1ne
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Here is what did with my Mosin because i didnt happen to have mineral spirits or diesel around the house and i was too excited to go to the store to buy some.

First i disassembled the gun.

For small metal parts, I put them in an ammo can and then pour boiling water over them. Enough water to submerge the parts. The cosmo just melts right off. Just be careful when taking the parts out of the water, for one thing the water is hot, and secondly the cosmo floats on the water so the part might get coated again. After that I sprayed the parts down with WD-40 and wiped clean.

For the barrel i rigged up a funnel then poured boiling water down it. Followed with normal cleaning. I think at the time i had Hopes.

For the stock, believe it or not, i just got a damp rag to wipe it down. Then i used Pledge and just kept cleaning it with that and paper towels. After that I just brought a rag with me whenever I shot it so i can wipe away any cosmo that decided to come out of the stock.

Its definitely not the most efficient method, but it worked for me.

mikenewgun87
04-09-2014, 5:41 PM
So i recently gotten an AK, is there any other ways to clean the cosmoline from the rifle? I dont have an air compressor to use...

Chaos47
04-09-2014, 5:54 PM
So i recently gotten an AK, is there any other ways to clean the cosmoline from the rifle? I dont have an air compressor to use...

Holy Necro Bump Batman!

Like others said Mineral Spirits is the way to go.
I've used it on over a dozen Mosins.
Mineral Spirits is by far the easiest way I have tried. It Literally melts it away.
I use cheap brushes and a bread pan from the dollar store.

Make sure to oil the firearm when done cleaning and drying!

Tried a steam cleaner once, didn't work nearly as good or fast.
You'll often see that advocated but I always wonder if those people have never tried M.S.

JDay
04-09-2014, 6:08 PM
Just use a hair dryer and paper towels.

bohoki
04-09-2014, 6:13 PM
the stuff on norincos should not be classified as cosmoline its more of an axle grease

as above paper towels and maybe some wd40

mikenewgun87
04-09-2014, 7:08 PM
Just use a hair dryer and paper towels.

ok, so soaking it in a bucket of mineral spirits and using my wifes hair dryer will get out majority of the cosmoline?