PDA

View Full Version : Do you at least eat it?

KWalkerM
07-21-2012, 6:24 PM
:rant:

does anyone get sick of people asking whether or not you eat what you shoot? it seems like everytime i bring up the fact that i hunt and fish people ask if i eat what i kill. after i say i do it seems like the mandatory response is "oh, well at least you eat it." do people really believe everyone just hunts to hunt and not consume the meat?!?!?!?! :mad:

next time i get asked im seriously considering looking them square in the eye and telling them i enjoy watching animals die and then i leave their corpses for the buzzards...:43: how do you guys deal with idiotic questions from the uninformed masses?

duckman1
07-21-2012, 6:35 PM
I view it as an opportunity to educate the uneducated. If it is a game animal I describe how I like to prepare it. I then ask them if they would like to try some? If it's non game I explain to them why we don't eat them.

KWalkerM
07-21-2012, 6:37 PM
I view it as an opportunity to educate the uneducated. If it is a game animal I describe how I like to prepare it. I then ask them if they would like to try some? If it's non game I explain to them why we don't eat them.

ever explain ground squirrels to someone in PETA...? doesnt matter how you present it to them... :mad:

toby
07-21-2012, 6:41 PM
I'm done with their ignorance and just promptly change the subject, I also have no interest in trying to convert or educate them.

duckman1
07-21-2012, 6:42 PM
Yes I've had that conversation. You can lead a horse to water......

KWalkerM
07-21-2012, 6:54 PM
Yes I've had that conversation. You can lead a horse to water......

but it wont drink if the buzzards have already eaten whats left of the brains...

NytWolf
07-21-2012, 7:00 PM
next time i get asked im seriously considering looking them square in the eye and telling them i enjoy watching animals die and then i leave their corpses for the buzzards...

How else do you think we can increase the lead content to the CA condor? :p

wjc
07-21-2012, 7:08 PM
How else do you think we can increase the lead content to the CA condor? :p

20 MM anti-aircraft shells? :D

But seriously, when I'm hit up by this question I answer them and also try to explain how the particular game is different than what they may be used to.

Turkey is a great example.

I've found wild turkey is *very* different...and yummier...than that store bough mush and most people I've discussed it with are somewhat surprised.

KWalkerM
07-21-2012, 7:14 PM
20 MM anti-aircraft shells? :D

But seriously, when I'm hit up by this question I answer them and also try to explain how the particular game is different than what they may be used to.

Turkey is a great example.

I've found wild turkey is *very* different...and yummier...than that store bough mush and most people I've discussed it with are somewhat surprised.

yes, wild turkey is inifitley better than store bought bland turkey

wjc
07-21-2012, 7:17 PM

...and going "shopping" is way more fun!

Gobble Gobble *blam*

:43:

toby
07-21-2012, 7:19 PM

Tho I'm not interested in Turkey hunting I would like to try the taste sometime. I keep hearing that it is so much better than the farm raised store bought....

wjc
07-21-2012, 7:24 PM
Tho I'm not interested in Turkey hunting I would like to try the taste sometime. I keep hearing that it is so much better than the farm raised store bought....

I've never had to use salt and pepper on it. It naturally tastes good.

The breast meat is more chewy than store bought because they actually fly and it's a little more fiberous. Once you try it you don't notice it after.

the drumstick are a little tough because of the constant running but I like it.

If I have breasts, I just throw them on the grill with a little olive oil and pig out.

KWalkerM
07-21-2012, 7:36 PM
I've never had to use salt and pepper on it. It naturally tastes good.

The breast meat is more chewy than store bought because they actually fly and it's a little more fiberous. Once you try it you don't notice it after.

the drumstick are a little tough because of the constant running but I like it.

If I have breasts, I just throw them on the grill with a little olive oil and pig out.

my marinade is wine vinegar, a juiced whole orange, assorted spices and salt. marinaded for 2 days and it makes the meat tender and awesome. baked with a couple strips of bacon

Gryff
07-21-2012, 8:57 PM
do people really believe everyone just hunts to hunt and not consume the meat?

Yep. Look at the tons of "Dog Down!" threads that show up here.

ramathorn
07-21-2012, 9:00 PM
I shoot paper targets... and then i eat em.

5thgen4runner
07-21-2012, 9:48 PM
I shoot paper targets... and then i eat em.

LOL

CS25
07-21-2012, 9:53 PM
I like chopping my salads with my shotgun...its more extreme.

ScottB
07-21-2012, 9:53 PM
I explain that for most of us quail meat "costs" a couple hundred dollars a pound (or more depending on your accounting) and venison isn't much cheaper. Then I ask: Do you think I leave it laying on the ground? I don't think about the cost, but its an argument they seem to grasp.

One reason I never offer to share game meat with friends, neighbors etc, is because they think they are being polite when they accept it, but afterwards they either don't want it, don't know how to cook it or are afraid to eat it and throw it out. The naturally infer we do the same and are just offering it to get rid of it because we don't want it either.

I only share game meat with hunters who value and will truly enjoy the meat. Same with wine. I can't count how many times I've cracked open an expensive bottle I been sitting on for years at a dinner party and everyone says "yes, please" when offered and afterwards I see half a bottle's worth left in glasses of guests who "don't drink red wine" WTF? Why take it then? They thought they were being polite. I only break out the good stuff for people who know and appreciate what they are drinking.

Diesel-Gunner
07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
I like chopping my salads with my shotgun...its more extreme.

Tactical Salad FTW!

mif_slim
07-22-2012, 5:11 AM
I educate them all the time.. I tell them:

STFUAH.

lol... I kid I kid...

victor1echo
07-22-2012, 6:17 AM
To educate someone, they have to feel like they don't know or understand. And these kinds of people know better than us so you cannot educate them because they are trying to educate us -- PETA types.
Look at the tons of "Dog Down!" threads that show up here.
With so little big game hunting, many people turn too shooting varmints. I personally have no interest in killing what I will not eat. We all have our own personal ethics. I killed a lot of things as a kid, and had a moment of truth when my neighbor shot a ground owl in flight--right thru the beak! The little burrowing animals lived behind my house in a drainage ditch and I enjoyed them. At any rate something in my little heart was broken. I felt guilt and disgusted with myself because he had shot it with my BB gun. Since then, I have never been interested in killing something just to do it, and I think that people that do are a little sick. If coyotes are a problem let the people having the problem deal with it. Now, if you skin coyotes and take their pelts, that's fine in my book. But you see we all have these different books.;)

SamIAm
07-22-2012, 8:35 AM
I think most non-hunters are OK with hunting if the animal is consumed for food. After all, it would be pretty hypocritical to condemn hunting and hunters while chowing down on a hamburger over lunch. This view of "acceptable" hunting is also taught in schools and popular culture. You will remember reading about how buffalo hunting for sport and coats (from train cars with repeating rifles) nearly wiped out the population. That is contrasted with the Native American giving thanks to a particular animal at the end of a hunt. That's why the question about whether you eat the animal gets asked.

Varmint hunting. With the right explanation, most non-hunters will readily agree that getting rid of pests is OK to them. Hey, who hasn't bought D-Con or glue traps or called an exterminator when you have a mouse problem at home?

Many non-hunters draw a line at trophy-hunting. That's not in their frame of reference. Explaining population management isn't easy. This is the reason why mountain lion hunting is still illegal in California.

IVC
07-22-2012, 8:43 AM
...the mandatory response is "oh, well at least you eat it."

This is in itself condenscending as it implies that a natural behavior requires justification.

The best way is to refer to their cats and exlain that their "cute little cuddly furry friend" would not only kill a mouse and not eat it, but would also enjoy killing it slowly. While it's a straw man argument, it conveys that to hate hunting one must start hating those that are near and dear.

do people really believe everyone just hunts to hunt and not consume the meat?!?!?!?!

Some do. Not all animals are consumed by the hunter. Even in nature scavangers make their living off of what the hunter leaves behind. Human or not.

Arguably, the more important point is that regulated hunting is a numbers game for preservation of habitat and species. Even in case of humans, ask back if they would accept killing rats and mice around their favorite restaurant (and not eating them) in order not to have rat hair and feces occassionally show up in the food they order. I bet their view of "unnecessary killing" changes quickly.

how do you guys deal with idiotic questions from the uninformed masses?

These are not "idiotic" questions. Those who grow up in the cities are at least two steps separated from their source of meat (farms and the distribution channel). This separation makes it very easy to develop high-moral-ground views which are inconsistent with the nature. However, these same people often pride themselves on being in harmony with the science and nature, so the best way to make a point is to show the "naturalness" of hunting and that their anti-hunting bias is "unnatural".

In a figure of speech, there is no better irony than to provide a scientific proof to a tree hugger that hugging a tree causes the tree pain and is nothing but a self-serving feel-good act.

Cowboy T
07-22-2012, 9:06 AM

Yeah, I pig out on 'em, too, but usually after a different preparation method. :D

My Dad introduced me to venison when I was a teenager. Apparently someone had gone hunting and given Dad some (he had grown up on wild game thanks to Grandpa). Delicious meat, very lean, none of that artifical hormone junk, just straight, organic, healthy goodness.

lewdogg21
07-22-2012, 3:18 PM
I'm going to eat some elk burger that I shot tonight. I do shoot stuff b/c either it's causing damage to my stuff or it's teasing me. The latter example was a jack rabbit last weekend in A-zone that wouldn't come inside 30 yards and was blowing my deer stand so i let a broadhead fly. I missed and didn't want to burn more $ with a follow up. Had I gotten him I would have offered him to the Coyote gods as a tribute.

taperxz
07-22-2012, 8:26 PM
The only time i was ever asked if i would eat something was in a bar. My reply was simple "yes i would eat it" or "no i wouldn't eat that with your mouth"

DannyInSoCal
07-22-2012, 8:31 PM
I always get that distant look in my eye as I gaze out to the horizon -

Then I let out a soft laugh and slightly smile -

Before I say "Not the people - Just the animals. Usually...."

wjc
07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
I always get that distant look in my eye as I gaze out to the horizon -

Then I let out a soft laugh and slightly smile -

Before I say "Not the people - Just the animals. Usually...."

Long pig!

:43:

chicoredneck
07-24-2012, 6:06 AM
I only kill animals to protect the poor defensless plants, but I'm a vegetarian :)

rromeo
07-24-2012, 7:27 AM
The best way is to refer to their cats and exlain that their "cute little cuddly furry friend" would not only kill a mouse and not eat it, but would also enjoy killing it slowly. While it's a straw man argument, it conveys that to hate hunting one must start hating those that are near and dear.

Many times I have heard shreeking in the yard, and come out to find my cats torturing small rodents. Once pounces, plays with it, then releases it so the other one can have a turn. My daughter came in one night and says that the cats are eating Alvin. "What?'' She says "Alvin, the chipmunk."

78USN98
07-24-2012, 8:27 PM
If I get the idea that the person asking is going to tell me how terrible I am, I just say, "I shoot for the hind quarter and let them suffer"!