PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about rifle length

Rangda
07-21-2012, 6:15 PM
Hi, I know there is min length on rifle (both CA and federal). I newbie question is, do they apply to single shot rifle as well?

Mssr. Eleganté
07-21-2012, 6:20 PM
Hi, I know there is min length on rifle (both CA and federal). I newbie question is, do they apply to single shot rifle as well?

Yes, both the California and Federal 26+ inch overall length and 16+ inch barrel length rules apply to single shot rifles. If it has a folding or collapsing stock then the feds measure with the stock extended and California measures with the rifle in its shortest possible firing configuration.

Rangda
07-21-2012, 6:35 PM
Uhhh, that's too bad. I would really like to have one of this in 22lr.

http://recluse.me/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/zoe.jpg

Mssr. Eleganté
07-21-2012, 7:29 PM
Just have a Henry "mare's leg" handgun converted to single shot to get around the safe handgun roster. They look like cut down rifles, but they are manufactured as handguns from the get go, so there are no short barreled rifle NFA issues.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

dantodd
07-21-2012, 7:44 PM
Yep. Start with a Mare's leg and cut it down to meet your needs.

Rangda
08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
If a firearm that started its life as pistol. Can one legally add stock on it? or change the grip into a rifle grip with stock attach?

fizux
08-24-2012, 5:13 AM
A single shot rifle does get you out of the 30" restriction from the AW ban (old PC 12276.1; new PC 30515):
---------
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, assault weapon also means any of the following:
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
---------

goodlookin1
08-24-2012, 6:14 AM
Yes, both the California and Federal 26+ inch overall length and 16+ inch barrel length rules apply to single shot rifles. If it has a folding or collapsing stock then the feds measure with the stock extended and California measures with the rifle in its shortest possible firing configuration.

(Redacted for lack of coffee this AM....I'M AN IDIOT)

By the way, CA's OAL measurements must be 30", not 26".....UNLESS you have a registered AW.

CSACANNONEER
08-24-2012, 6:20 AM
If it has a folding or collapsing stock then CA measures with the stock extended and the feds measure with the rifle in its shortest possible firing configuration.

You had is backwards ;)

By the way, if CA's OAL measurements must be 30", not 26".....UNLESS you have a registered AW.

LOL! YOU HAVE IT BASS ACKWARDS!

ke6guj
08-24-2012, 6:26 AM
By the way, if CA's OAL measurements must be 30", not 26".....UNLESS you have a registered AW.that is an AW reg that only applies to semi-automatic centerfire rifles.

Since the OP is talking about rifles that aren't semi-auto and centerfire, then the 26" rule applies.

ke6guj
08-24-2012, 6:30 AM
If a firearm that started its life as pistol. Can one legally add stock on it? or change the grip into a rifle grip with stock attach?

yes, you can. but then you need to make sure you meet the riffle length requirements, which means that you need to have at least a 16" barrel, and then be 26"OAL in its shortest fireable configuration. If it is now a semi-automatic centerfire rifle, then you need to make sure it complies with the rifle AW regs, which include a 30" minimum OAL.

goodlookin1
08-24-2012, 6:33 AM
LOL! YOU HAVE IT BASS ACKWARDS!

DOH!

You are so right.

I need more coffee :sleeping:

I will fix my post :o

CSACANNONEER
08-24-2012, 6:35 AM
DOH!

You are so right.

I need more coffee :sleeping:

I will fix my post :o

No worries. I had to read both posts several times to make sure myself. I've only had one diet coke so far this morning so, I need more caffine too.

goodlookin1
08-24-2012, 6:36 AM
that is an AW reg that only applies to semi-automatic centerfire rifles.

Since the OP is talking about rifles that aren't semi-auto and centerfire, then the 26" rule applies.

Correctomundo.

I'm certainly done posting this morning :chris: