PDA

View Full Version : do i need to seperate handgun cases by headstamp?

bballwizard05
07-21-2012, 10:39 AM
I bought a couple lots of 500 cases and they are of mixed headstamp. Is it important to seperate them by headstamp?

troysland
07-21-2012, 10:46 AM
I think it's personal preference. Maybe for match ammo? I can understand Commercial vs Military. Primer crimp vs No primer crimp (takes more time to process). Might make a bigger difference with rifle ammo. Example, .223 vs. 5.56, which I handload but i don't seperate. All my data is for .223.

MaHoTex
07-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Nope. Load 'em up and fire away.

bballwizard05
07-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Good. That's what I wanted to hear! Did not feel like sorting 1000 pieces of brass

wtkaiser
07-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Then you shouldn't have asked. You had already made up your mind not to separate them. I am hardly a gun-nut - don't have the wife or the budget for it - but separating by headstamp is among the few things I do. Each manufacturer is slightly different, and each make will be different in capacity. Therefore, as you reach the upper ends of the load, pressure will be different for each one. What is safe in one will possibly be dangerous in another. I say do it. Only has to be done once.

Bill Steele
07-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I generally don't sort handgun brass by headstamp.

The one exception is .45ACP, where I load a lot of lead. I have found if I sort by headstamp, it allows me to segregate the thinner and thicker headstamps. I load the thinner headstamp for lead and the thicker with jacketed. I get decidedly better neck tension consistency and fewer chambering issues (with the lead).

XDRoX
07-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't. And I own a lot of different brand cases I've collected over the years. Even that Norma case in my avatar gets thrown into the press now and then. I've never had a problem.

Turo
07-21-2012, 11:54 AM
For me, it depends on the caliber. For 10mm, different brands hold up to different loads better than others. And since most of my 10mm reloading is at the top of the scale, I tend to only load certain loads in certain brands of brass that I have more faith in.

On the flip side, when I load .40, the Win, Federal, and Fiocchi all get thrown into the same bucket. I don't load over recommended max in .40, so unless the brass is cracked or mangled, it gets reloaded.

JNunez23
07-21-2012, 7:57 PM
I load mostly 9mm, so I also just visually check for cracks/thinning walls. If it shows no bad signs, gets loaded the same as the rest.

Though this thread did get me thinking whether it would be worth the extra time to sort them.

Revoman
07-21-2012, 8:07 PM
Just depends on how anal you are.

I sort, I believe that it makes my reloads the best they can be for consistency.

Can I really tell? I believe that I can, that's why I do it. As stated, you only need to do it once, the first time, after that you're good to go.

CalTeacher
07-21-2012, 8:21 PM
Don't waste your time. Just load them and shoot them.

lpspinner
07-21-2012, 8:21 PM
I do and mostly for seating consistency as well.

rsrocket1
07-21-2012, 9:48 PM
Some of the 45 ACP cases I reload are so old you can't even read the head stamp! So long as they aren't split, they go right into the loading machine.

Fishslayer
07-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I do and mostly for seating consistency as well.

^^^This.

Plus we have a lot of the SPP .45ACP to deal with these days.

It really isn't that big a PITA. I have sorted a LOT of pistol brass.

MIAMIbaseballer
07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
It would help if you said which caliber(s) you are talking about.... Some calibers are more important than others.

Whiterabbit
07-21-2012, 11:50 PM
depends on your application. If I shoot at 5 yards, it doesn't matter what I do, my groups are tiny. When I shoot pistol at 100 yards, my brass needs to be sorted by head stamp, trickled to charge weight, and trimmed for identical crimp or else my groups open up. Shooting steels I can be a little more loosey, but I still sort head stamp.

If I were loading for a semi auto pistol that would get shot at indoor ranges at 15 yards and under only, I'd probably consider it a waste of time.

M27
07-22-2012, 12:16 AM
I sort for a few reasons

1. I put hot loads in certain headstamps, I have even trimmed these pistol cases too

2. I load all of my lead loads in to Remington brass

3. different headstamps have different case thickness so by sorting it creates a more consistent crimp

4 im a little OCD and like my brass to match

Munk
07-22-2012, 1:29 AM
for plinking and large number runs, I just load and go without checking headstamps.

For anything close to high-pressure (By load or by caliber), I'm using decent brass or new brass.

For example: My .40s&w just uses whatever thousand-count bags I felt like purchasing with no sorting, and gets my normal mid-range plinking load when I do it. My .30-30 is kept sorted, but is still loaded identical. My 460s&w has only ever been handloaded with a bunch of starline brass.

Munk
07-22-2012, 1:29 AM
for plinking and large number runs, I just load and go without checking headstamps.

For anything close to high-pressure (By load or by caliber), I'm using decent brass or new brass.

For example: My .40s&w just uses whatever thousand-count bags I felt like purchasing with no sorting, and gets my normal mid-range plinking load when I do it. My .30-30 is kept sorted, but is still loaded identical. My 460s&w has only ever been handloaded with a bunch of starline brass.