PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed for new .22 purchase

gsc3zny
07-21-2012, 11:38 AM
I am looking to buy a .22lr revolver. I am looking at the s-w 617 4" or 6" and the Ruger KNR510(8100). The thing I dislike on the ruger is the cowboy style grip( I think that's what the style is called. I like the Smith grips. However the Smith is $150-200 more than the Ruger. I would like some honest oppinions comparing the both of them as well as some advantages/disadvantages of a 4" or 6" barrel. I know the 6" should be more accurate, but all opinions are needed. Thanks

socal147
07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I just shot my 617 for the first time this week. It is definitely a sweet shooter. I have the 6" barrel which makes it a bit heavy but it does not bother me. Another person at the range had the Ruger Single Six 4". It is lighter but only allows single action fire. They are both fine firearms but I like the SA/DA option the 617 has. The sights on his Single Six were fiber optic and I really preferred those but aftermarket sights are readily available. I may also be switching out my grips soon but this is just for looks not operation.

HTH
Patrick