PDA

View Full Version : Curious for those around during the 1989 AW BAN , what did they make you do?

gant
07-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Curious to know when the 1989 aw ban passed did they tell everyone to turn in there guns but of course only a fool would or did they let ppl who owned them already grandfather them in?

When did top loaders become recognized ? Was it years afterwards

And bullet button was six years ago?

How long was the drought of not shooting them before the top loaders?

Quiet
07-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Both CA AWB...
You were given a time period to do one of the following:
1. Register the firearm as an assault weapon by sending in a form with payment.
2. Transport the firearm to anther state for storage or for selling.
3. Surrendering the firearm to law enforcement for destruction

After the time period was over, if you were in possession of an unregistered assault weapon, you would be subject to felony charges.
No such thing as "grandfathering" assault weapons. They are either registered assault weapons (RAW) or unregistered assault weapons.

First AWB brought about classifying assault weapons by make/model.
Second AWB brought about classifying assault weapons by features.

"top loaders" and "bullet button" maglocks were byproducts of the second AWB.

gant
07-20-2012, 11:12 PM
So if u registered it could you go to ranges and fire them?

G-forceJunkie
07-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes. There are some additional restrictions, but basically, you can own/shoot/poses it like any other firearm.

bwiese
07-21-2012, 5:23 PM
Quiet and GForceJunkie have it.

Some idiots refused to register and kept their guns. Eventually some had some minor incident that involved LEO coming into the house and got popped for AW violations. Others got popped transporting them to NV to shoot (or got popped on the return). All it takes is one bad taillight or rolling stop for the cop to find out how many dead hookers you have in your trunk.

I'm one of the folks that gets a crying phone call afterward.

"But I don't have $15K for a lawyer!"....

Too bad. Sucks to be poor AND stupid - it's better to pick one only.

[In the early 90s, CA judges would sometimes sentence AW violation as a misdemeanor and would force registration somehow. If you look at AW reg history database there are non-LEO AW registrations trickling about in the 90s.]

Other guys somewhat more sanely moved 'em out of state and their ability to shoot them is determined by how often they can get out to NV or AZ.

I had an HK91 (under $500 in 1986, near-NIB from FJ Vollmer).
Reg'd it last week of December 1990.

Got tired of the funky requirements and wanted an AR anyway so got a Colt and sold the HK91 outside CA and de-reg'd it.

Thought that idiocy would be done with and then SB23 came about.

This time I bought a TON of guns, mags etc. before everything hit.

Then I got pissed off and became politically active.

jyo
07-21-2012, 9:02 PM
I was the retail manager at the largest gunstore in L.A.---it was CRAZY!! ANY gun, any magazine was sold in amazing numbers. The demand didn't stop until the date came when we couldn't sell them anymore. The rules were; register the guns as AWs and any pre-ban mags you bought were cool, but you could not sell them (in Kalifornia), give them away or leave them to you family after you were gone. The weapons and mags can now be sold only to out-of-state buyers and of course, the guns must be shipped thru an FFL to another FFL. Any guns that were not registered are illegal to possess.

MrOrange
07-22-2012, 9:17 PM
There wasn't so much a drought in shooting them, it was a matter if it was registered or not. And folks were a lot more paranoid about taking their RAWs out to the local range.

I sold what banned items I had, one of my brothers registered his CAR-15 clone, and I don't think he's shot it since.

Still got a bunch of old mags in various states of usefulness. Now if The State would just ban crappy mis-fitting holsters, I'll have another old cardboard box full of gold.

dwtt
07-23-2012, 4:14 AM
When the Roos-Roberti ban was passed, I and some friends ordered Cobray M-11 pistols because we wouldn't be able to buy them after the ban. Biggest mistake in my life, buying that P.O.S. gun. That's what the ban made me do.

SgtDinosaur
07-23-2012, 8:47 AM
I was sitting in Texas laughing. Too bad it didn't last.

10mm
07-24-2012, 1:05 AM

Some idiots refused to register and kept their guns. Eventually some had some minor incident that involved LEO coming into the house and got popped for AW violations. Others got popped transporting them to NV to shoot (or got popped on the return). All it takes is one bad taillight or rolling stop for the cop to find out how many dead hookers you have in your trunk.

[In the early 90s, CA judges would sometimes sentence AW violation as a misdemeanor and would force registration somehow. If you look at AW reg history database there are non-LEO AW registrations trickling about in the 90s.]

Other guys somewhat more sanely moved 'em out of state and their ability to shoot them is determined by how often they can get out to NV or AZ.

Got tired of the funky requirements and wanted an AR anyway so got a Colt and sold the HK91 outside CA and de-reg'd it.

The sarcasm of this guy:eek: Let me take a guess. Conservative Elitist right? ;)

gazzavc
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Sadly there were a few of us who were out of the country on active service who owned AW's and who found out when we came back what had happened.

Since we were not in the US military we were not allowed to register them after the deadline, so we were forced to surrender them/sell them or otherwise decommission them.

It was a disgrace to find law enforcement by ambush when we came back.

G

gant
07-26-2012, 7:41 PM
where did everyone have to register there AR's back when this happen? forgot to ask that, did you have to get rifle inspected at local law enforcement and register it there? or could any FFL register it?

G-forceJunkie
07-26-2012, 7:57 PM
Just filled out a form and mailed it in with a check. Then you got a letter back listing what you registered.

SURVIVOR619
07-26-2012, 9:08 PM
Sadly there were a few of us who were out of the country on active service who owned AW's and who found out when we came back what had happened.

Since we were not in the US military we were not allowed to register them after the deadline, so we were forced to surrender them/sell them or otherwise decommission them.

It was a disgrace to find law enforcement by ambush when we came back.

G

Disgrace is an understatement. Talk about complete disrespect for your service. I've never heard a comment like this (and was personally not affected like this).

I'm apalled. Very sorry your own country did this to you!

Respect, Survivor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk🔫

Teeg
07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
where did everyone have to register there AR's back when this happen? forgot to ask that, did you have to get rifle inspected at local law enforcement and register it there? or could any FFL register it?

IIRC, I went down to my local police dept and picked up the registration form. I had to register my guns two seperate times. The first time was in early 90's ?, when they were asking for any original "named" assault weapons (Colt AR, AK, H&K, Uzi, MAC, etc) to be registered. No generics or clones were on this original list. Several years later, around 2000 or 2001 ?, they came up with another list naming any and all generics and clones they had out at the time and were not named on the original list (generic AR's, Colt Sporters, Bushmasters, Century L1A1, etc). I also remember providing a thumb print on at least one of those forms also.

I never had to take the weapons anywhere for any inspections. I just filled out the forms and sent them to the DOJ. Each time, they sent me a confirmation notice several months after I sent the forms in.

chillincody
07-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Disgrace is an understatement. Talk about complete disrespect for your service. I've never heard a comment like this (and was personally not affected like this).

I'm apalled. Very sorry your own country did this to you!

Respect, Survivor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk🔫

I have to agree with my boy here .im so disgusted that they didnt let you register after you got back I for one am grateful for your service just wish this state felt the same