View Full Version : California Premium on Non-Roster weapons

07-20-2012, 6:42 PM
Just wondering what is the general premium that one may pay for a Non-roster pistols. I'm a huge Colt fan and find that mostly all handguns are priced 30-50% above Blue Book value. Does anyone have writen documentation of current California premiums? May not exsist. Just wondering

07-21-2012, 9:28 PM
Generally I would say the prices I see in the used gun cases for older S&W revolvers is $100-ish higher than free states. It's going to depend on model & condition of course. And some gun shops are known for being pretty proud of their inventory. One store I frequent has had a couple of handguns there for years.

07-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Both my "off roster" pistols were bought for:

MSRP + SSE Fee ($100) + DROS ($25) + TAX (8.25%)

Both were bought new so the documentation is in the DROS forms.

07-21-2012, 11:52 PM
There is no such documentation. It depends entirely on what the seller thinks they can get for it, plus possibly the cost of doing a single shot exemption. So if it's a gun that isn't made anymore, or is somehow more "rare" than the stuff that's easier to get, they'll probably ask more for it.

07-22-2012, 12:33 AM
to do the SSE they usually charge around $100

07-22-2012, 12:52 AM
to do the SSE they usually charge around $100

Depends on the shop, and the gun. Some shops charge a lot less for things that are more common(because they'll already have the long barrels for something like a 1911), but if the place has to get a new barrel from the factory and make it longer for SSE you're paying for parts and labor.

07-22-2012, 7:07 AM
Saw a $430 pistol in our market place this week for only $700 (it was noted how it was off roster like I didn't know)....oh its still there

07-22-2012, 7:56 AM
People still ask $600 for an LCP. Wow.

07-22-2012, 8:45 AM
Off roster pistols are "worth" the price people are asking depending on the rarity. Here is my rule of thumb based on what I have seen in the for sale section. I categorize by asking price as well as rarity level.

+$30-50 - Curio and Relic: Since these guns are off roster, but transferable to anyone as an exception they usually are based solely on the actual value and rarity of the gun. Note that some sellers on gunbroker charge anywhere from $30-$50 extra to register with the CADOJ to ship into this state. Cool stuff like CZ-52s don't even need a SSE.

+$50-100 - Commonly used modern firearms: Guns like Glock gen4s, XDms, various flavors of P226 and P229 can be found as low as $100 premium over a rostered equivalent. This is because two reasons. Often LEO get tired of these guns, and sell them a little above their blue price. 2nd reason is that with such demand, many stores offer common extended barrels kits and have a standard mark up for SSE service. Include most 1911 models. These guns are the darlings of forums, and people really want to have them which increases demand and supply. Also many guns that fell off the roster recently don't have such a high mark up.

+$100-300 - Out of production handguns, imports and obscure models: If you're looking for something like a Daewoo DH40, Zastava EZ9, SP21 Barak, Rojak pistol or Mamba pistols you're limited to people who own them in state already or gifts from parents. These guns are so hard to find and appeal to those with weird tastes that nobody really even cared to make single shot conversions. Expect at least a $200 premium on all Baby Eagle, Jericho models especially full size ones. The funniest thing is that these guns were "junk" guns and when they were imported often sold in the $299 range when they were new.

+$200-500 - Compact and semicompact pistols: Small guns are harder to SSE to the standard length using commonly available 6" barrels. This means someone has to make the pistol with a 6" barrel or custom insert at least 10.5" long. Somethings like a Mauser M2, or HK P7M13 harder to SSE. Note that anything HK, particularly the P7s are usually $500 more than others. HK45's are in this price category, but dropping due to common SSE kits.

+$300-900 - "Horse pistols" tactical pistols: Some of the least practical pistols to shoot often come with the highest price tags. I am talking about the pistols that were derived from or look like submachine guns. These are usually the Steyr SPP, B&T TP9, Vector Mini, Micro UZI's, and MAC-10,11 clones. The huge premium on these often come from the unwillingness for those out of state to sell them to CA, as well as the potential extended magazines. Factor in added costs outside of the SSE. For example there are no 10 round magazines for the TP9, only high caps. Because these guns look dangerous, they are in higher demand and because of some features require some work to modify them. If you're a new buyer with no pre-ban mags and want a micro UZI be prepared to pay the most since you'll have to make your own 10 rounders, remove the front handhold and replace with a rail. A small exception goes for masterpiece arms MAC 10 clones are they are commonly available from Turners Outdoorsman. HK Mark 23 is another example of a horse pistol because you're paying for the rarity, the SSE, brand and when those three issues are solved, you still have to find a way to take the threads off the barrel.

+$700-1000 Colt revolvers: Anything with a snake name (King Cobra, Anaconda, Python) are extremely in premium.

+2x $$ Unobtainium: Things like Bren-tens or custom (non 1911 based) pistols expect to pay almost double the out of state price. Usually these come from private collectors already in CA because of the rarity, lack of SSE kit, and overall lack of support. Sphinx 2000 and 3000 are in this category. Mateba Autorevolver is another extremely hard to find gun that wouldn't be able to come in as a SSE. Often this category includes inexpensive polymer guns that nobody cared to SSE (Caracal, FNS, Steyr S/M). Often the best way to find these guns are from people who just moved to CA for a job with all their guns.

+$600 - Receivers: Finally AR pistols are common, but stripped pistol lowers are almost impossible to find since you can't do a handgun safety demo on a frame. This category includes some 1911 high end frames like SVI, specialized 1911 frames and some custom guns. Someone has to build the frame up with a slide and then take it apart again.

Those are my observations based on the for sale forums only, feel free to add others.

07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I understand Buyers truly set the market, on what they are willing to pay for an item. California ould use a separate Blue Book listing values on this extremely tight market. I too notice many hand and long guns priced unreasonably. I have been able to work down the final selling price with a few gun shops. A have had good luck at the Shootist in Murietta.

07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks ICYPU for your value guidelines.
I would also like to add that I have noticed most "Colt Firearms" carry an additional premium. Yes, all snake revolvers, but also all 1911 varieties. Especially Pre 70, 70 and 80 series, in all finishes and calibers.
You may also place Nickel and Bright Stainless .38 Supers in its own specialized category. The market is depleated and is extremely difficult to enter. Maybe its just a So Cal occurance with the huge Hispanic population and the love of "Bling" weapons. Thanks again for everyones feedback.

07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
People still ask $600 for an LCP. Wow.

the funny thing is that some people do not know about the SSE and will pay that.

But if you look around places like placer tactical (sp) sells LCP's brand new for $400 out the door ;)

07-22-2012, 4:27 PM
Icypu, you hit it right on the dot with all the different types. Very educational read.

07-23-2012, 8:29 AM
Thanks guys, its amazing when you think about it that people are paying the premiums I mentioned. It shows the whole demand outpaces supply.

07-23-2012, 2:09 PM
I agree. Its crazy. Reason why I asked the question. Seems that the market continues to dry up and premiums continuing to increase. What happened to the economic ressesion we are going through. No money for house payments! Plenty of money for GUNS