PDA

View Full Version : Question about registering a .22 that was a gift

Mr_Dunev
07-20-2012, 6:37 PM
A few days ago my dad gave me his 30yr old .22 Charter Arms Ar-7 Explorer. I think he originally purchased it in Florida 20+ yrs ago, and kept it in his plane in case of emergencies. I don't think he has ever registered it. I called Turners of Pasadena and they said that i don't have to get it registered.

I just want to make sure that if I get pulled over, or anything else happens I'm not going to get in trouble for having an unregistered gun in my trunk.

So my question is, do i need to register it? And if so, how would i register a gun that hasn't had prior registration, that was a gift from my father.

Thanks for the help,
Lucas

P.S

I saw this on wikipedia and was wondering if I could shoot it at Angeles Crest

Range safety issue

As common with many blowback .22 rifles, the AR-7 bolt cannot be locked open to demonstrate the weapon is in a safe unloaded state. Firearms without a built-in "bolt hold-open" device may be banned from use at some ranges. Other firing range operators allow use of an open bolt indicator to prop the bolt open so that the chamber is visible. The yellow plastic flag for CMP range use is recommended or a spent cartridge case can be used.

Ron-Solo
07-20-2012, 7:29 PM
Turners got it right. There's no paperwork required on a father to son transfer of a long gun at this time. There is no requirement that long guns be registered.

Great gift!

Pick up an empty chamber flag. Many ranges are starting to require them. They are cheap.

Make sure you always transport unloaded.

Mr_Dunev
07-20-2012, 7:33 PM
Turners got it right. There's no paperwork required on a father to son transfer of a long gun at this time. There is no requirement that long guns be registered.

Great gift!

Pick up an empty chamber flag. Many ranges are starting to require them. They are cheap.

Make sure you always transport unloaded.

Thanks for answering my question. I'll have a look at one of those empty chamber flags tomorrow before i hit the range.

G-forceJunkie
07-20-2012, 8:27 PM
Thanks for answering my question. I'll have a look at one of those empty chamber flags tomorrow before i hit the range.

They just want something to hold the bolt out of battery. Bring a pencil or a pen or grab a fired centerfire case out of the brass bucket. Bring several different types of .22 ammo, some guns are picky.

roushstage2
07-21-2012, 12:56 AM
The chamber flags at Sac Valley are a buck. Wouldn't expect them to be anymore elsewhere. Just a little piece of plastic.

secret.asian.man
07-21-2012, 8:05 AM

a bright colored zip tie with a 90* bend would work just fine. i think the Ruger SR-22 comes like that with a Red zip tie as an empty chamber flag.