PDA

View Full Version : Got interviewed by local news on Colorado & gun bans

spencerhut
07-20-2012, 7:27 PM
I will be on the ch47 11:00PM news talking about the Colorado Shooting and gun bans in general. Let's see how they edit it.

Fundamentals
07-20-2012, 7:35 PM
What is channel 47 for you, what network?

newglockster
07-20-2012, 7:36 PM
will there be a link to a website to view it once it is aired?

spencerhut
07-20-2012, 7:36 PM
CBS . . .
http://www.cbs47.tv/default.aspx

Fundamentals
07-20-2012, 7:46 PM
CBS . . .

Thank you. CBS is channel 2 for me. :)

BucDan
07-20-2012, 7:49 PM
You're going to sound stupid and then everyone on CGN will complain in the off topic. Get ready to see the new thread lol.

tbc
07-20-2012, 7:54 PM
Knowing that the media will edit and make you sound ridiculous, should you proceed with the interview?

Sent from my iPhone

SgtMerc
07-20-2012, 7:55 PM
I'd like to hear what you said, posted here, BEFORE they air the piece. That way we will know how hard they spin it.

Scratch705
07-20-2012, 7:57 PM
Knowing that the media will edit and make you sound ridiculous, should you proceed with the interview?

Sent from my iPhone

if you can word yourself right, even clever editing would be hard to make someone sound stupid.

Coded-Dude
07-20-2012, 8:00 PM
tagged.

tbc
07-20-2012, 8:05 PM
if you can word yourself right, even clever editing would be hard to make someone sound stupid.

Yes, agreed. Thus, I bet their questions will be tricky and clever.

Sent from my iPhone

gatesbox
07-20-2012, 8:12 PM
I don't know why I am posting this here but my thought for the day is that tonight Billions of people will go to sleep, with their families, and rest safe through the night without being killed by a murderous rampage. In a world this big the most troubled people will occasionally commit a horrible and sinful act by any means necessary. This is proof that evil exists in the world.

I suppose I wonder what any of us would say if interviewed. I think my general script would be.

This was a horrible tragedy committed by an obviously severely troubled and sick mind. Mourn the loss of innocent life.

Regarding guncontrol, responsible citizens will continue to enjoy and use firearms responsibly, any further restriction in the law is only observed by the lawful not the criminal.

All human life is imesurably valuable, but no further restriction can be made to prevent the uncontrolable circumstances that are unleashed by such evil intent.

spencerhut
07-20-2012, 8:12 PM

I wish I was that good of a talker, but I fear I am not. I did the best I could. Don't taze me bro ;-)

njineermike
07-20-2012, 8:17 PM
The 9/11 hijackers killed WAY more people without firing a shot.

This is about one completly suicidal nutjob, but its being politicized to further agendas. As usual.

tbc
07-20-2012, 8:18 PM
I wish I was that good of a talker, but I fear I am not. I did the best I could. Don't taze me bro ;-)

I apologize OP, the interview had already occurred.

Do you remember their questions?

Sent from my iPhone

spencerhut
07-20-2012, 8:59 PM
I apologize OP, the interview had already occurred.

Do you remember their questions?

No worries. They asked about "assault weapons" I explained the difference, her eyes sort of glazed over.

We showed them weapons like the gunman was reported to have used, G22 / AR / 870.

She mentioned a renewed call for a national "assault weapon" ban. I called BS on the term in general. More guns = less crime in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure she was anti-gun, I smiled and was honest in my responses, so I'm toast for sure. :o

kygen
07-20-2012, 9:01 PM
kudos to you man. just from what you wrote down, you have done us proud ;D

CBruce
07-20-2012, 9:03 PM
CBS . . .

Oh, CBS...yeah, I'm sure it'll be a fair and unbiased use of your interview.

njineermike
07-20-2012, 9:09 PM
Oh, CBS...yeah, I'm sure it'll be a fair and unbiased use of your interview.

Most assuredly, given their recent track record. LOL

tbc
07-20-2012, 9:11 PM
kudos to you man. just from what you wrote down, you have done us proud ;D

+ 1

Sent from my iPhone

blockfort
07-20-2012, 9:47 PM
How did you define an "assault weapon"?

SURVIVOR619
07-20-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't have TV but for Netflix instant watch... Someone please post our CGN brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk🔫

SURVIVOR619
07-21-2012, 12:26 AM
No one?!!

FalconLair
07-21-2012, 1:08 AM
might have seen it inadvertently...i was watching the news and they interviewed a gun shop employee wearing a dark shirt, didnt catch the name of the shop, but was that you? Asian, really short short hair? I think you were holding an AR, talking about the magazine? Was that you or someone else? They didnt seem to give it much air time

if that was your interview, they must have cut some of the good stuff

rojocorsa
07-21-2012, 1:53 AM
might have seen it inadvertently...i was watching the news and they interviewed a gun shop employee wearing a dark shirt, didnt catch the name of the shop, but was that you? Asian, really short short hair? I think you were holding an AR, talking about the magazine? Was that you or someone else? They didnt seem to give it much air time

if that was your interview, they must have cut some of the good stuff

OP looked like a white guy, normal height.

spencerhut
07-21-2012, 6:44 AM
They did not edit it in a negative way. They actually aired the part where I said if a CCW holder was in the theater fewer people would have died, so that was cool. Most of the rest was on the cutting room floor.

newglockster
07-21-2012, 7:33 AM
Here is a link to what I believe is the video and story by CBS

http://www.cbs47.tv/news/local/story/Theatre-Shooter-s-Mind-And-Gun-Debate-He-Sparked/X95Y5a2aWE6WbuoKHpFCoQ.cspx

SURVIVOR619
07-21-2012, 9:17 AM
Thanks for the link newglockster.

LA mayor suggests guns have no "rational" place in our communities... Yet, he offers no rationale as to why he believes that is true... He's the elite, so he's protected.. He doesn't care about his subjects, although he should..

BrokerB
07-21-2012, 9:56 AM
i threw up in my mouth a little when the underwear model posing as a news reporter said using 100 round drums makes your gun like a machine gun

gatesbox
07-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Wow they hit the trifecta, calling an AR a type of machine gun, cop stating "clips" we're acquired legally, and mayor announcing there is no reasonable purpose for semi-auto rifle.

What planet are we on?

FalconLair
07-21-2012, 11:24 AM
ok, got the link and saw the story...good representation Spencer, you fit the mold well for a good looking law abiding citizen and you relayed well the real issue about some of our laws in the short time they gave ya

you were spot on
good job young man :D

whatpain
07-21-2012, 11:56 AM
op did a good job. very calm and logical. i would definitely toss you some business if i lived anywhere closer.

A-J
07-21-2012, 12:11 PM
So the burining question is......

Did that chick have a nice rack?

Police say the shooter used an A-R-15 assault rifle, which is a military version of a machine gun.

Um, no. The AR15 is an assault rifle used by the military. The military version of a machine gun is a machine gun. I seriously hope that the bolded part of the quote is something the news agency put in there and not something the PD said. Cause that's just plain stupid.

ojisan
07-21-2012, 12:18 PM
The media sure does get it wrong, but we have to help by being precise and consistent with our own terminology, as we the gun owners are the ones explaining it to the media.

"The AR15 is an assault rifle used by the military".

Please be careful, do not blur the lines between military and civilian guns.
The Military uses the full auto / or burst capable M16 rifle or M4 carbine.
Civilians get a semi-auto gun that looks and functions mostly the same, it is called an AR15.
The AR15 is not a military gun or a machine gun, we have to make that very clear.

Spencer: great job, you were very well spoken and presented yourself (and all of us) positively.
:thumbsup:

spencerhut
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
The media sure does get it wrong, but we have to help by being precise and consistent with our own terminology, as we the gun owners are the ones explaining it to the media.

"The AR15 is an assault rifle used by the military".

Please be careful, do not blur the lines between military and civilian guns.
The Military uses the full auto / or burst capable M16 rifle or M4 carbine.
Civilians get a semi-auto gun that looks and functions mostly the same, it is called an AR15.
The AR15 is not a military gun or a machine gun, we have to make that very clear.

Spencer: great job, you were very well spoken and presented yourself (and all of us) positively.
:thumbsup:

Yeah, we had the Military M16/M4 vs Civilian AR15 discussion, I don't think she understood. They all looked the same, so they must be the same.

paul0660
07-21-2012, 12:30 PM

It's what they do. Many years ago I got in a snippet about bulk mail handling. For weeks I walked around afraid for my life.

paul0660
07-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Good job Spencer.

mexicancolt1
07-21-2012, 2:31 PM
James Holmes named himself incorrectly. True name "A Joke" not Joker. Should have saved a .40 caliber bullet for himself.

FamilyofShooters
07-21-2012, 3:05 PM
Well done sir.....

Decoligny
07-21-2012, 3:25 PM
The 9/11 hijackers killed WAY more people without firing a shot.

This is about one completly suicidal nutjob, but its being politicized to further agendas. As usual.

A suicidal gunman doesn't gear up with ballistic helmet, neck protector, vest, groin, and leg protection. He also doesn't surrender to police when he is caught after the shooting.
A suicidal gunman goes in prepared to be shot to death.
This guy wants to enjoy his noteriety. He will bask in the "glory" of the news coverage and relive the shooting in his head over and over.
He is a psychopath, but not a suicidal psychopath.

njineermike
07-21-2012, 5:34 PM
A suicidal gunman doesn't gear up with ballistic helmet, neck protector, vest, groin, and leg protection. He also doesn't surrender to police when he is caught after the shooting.
A suicidal gunman goes in prepared to be shot to death.
This guy wants to enjoy his noteriety. He will bask in the "glory" of the news coverage and relive the shooting in his head over and over.
He is a psychopath, but not a suicidal psychopath.

God point. I retract the "suicidal" part. That said, I hope they fry him.

BigRobb
07-21-2012, 5:48 PM
God point. I retract the "suicidal" part. That said, I hope they fry him.

I hope they give him a taste of his own medicine and have him face a firing squad.

What disturbs me is the anti-gunners trying to legitimize banning "assault weapons" because they have no rational place in our society. The rational place in our society with them was to protect us from our own government and foreign invaders.

nick
07-21-2012, 6:14 PM
Per the professor there, I suggest we ban paranoia, loneliness, and low self-esteem.

wjc
07-21-2012, 8:35 PM
Thanks for the link newglockster.

LA mayor suggests guns have no "rational" place in our communities... Yet, he offers no rationale as to why he believes that is true... He's the elite, so he's protected.. He doesn't care about his subjects, although he should..

There is not "rational" place for illegal aliens in this country. Bet he'd hem and haw on that one if it came up.

&$*#(* traitor.

gant
07-21-2012, 8:42 PM
reporter was pretty hot