PDA

View Full Version : physical address issues

mag360
07-20-2012, 6:38 PM
How does a person who was recently foreclosed on and now has no physical address because they bought an rv buy a handgun?

mud99
07-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Drive to Reno, get a new drivers license, register your RV there, walk into cabelas and buy 100 guns for 2/3 of california prices with no waiting period or DROS fee and walk out the door with them.

Enjoy your new pile of guns, lower vehicle registration, lower taxes, and your freedom to travel.

Seriously, if this is your situation the future has lots of possibilities.

Scarecrow Repair
07-21-2012, 8:25 AM
Drive to Reno, get a new drivers license, register your RV there ...

Don't all states require a physical address to register a vehicle and to get a drivers license?

mud99
07-21-2012, 8:48 AM
A Nevada resident is someone "Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state."

A mailing address is required, but can be a mailbox or mail forwarding service.

Lifeon2whls
07-21-2012, 8:50 AM
Oh man...the possibilities!

halifax
07-21-2012, 8:56 AM
A Nevada resident is someone "Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state."

A mailing address is required, but can be a mailbox or mail forwarding service.

Won't the 4473 require a physical address?

greybeard
07-21-2012, 9:00 AM
You can always go to one of the private mail box for rent companies and rent a mail box. A lot of them use suite numbers instead of box numbers.

littlejake
07-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Getting a DL in NV has changed in recent years. A friend of mine moved from Palo Alto to Beatty NV in 2007. He went to the DMV in Tonopah -- walked in with a CA DL and walked out with a NV DL and plates. Since then, NV has implemented most of the real ID Act. They now mail your DL and plates to your NV residence address. (Old time residents may opt out of the new features on the NV DL -- but they cannot board an aircraft with the non-compliant ID.)

Since 9/11. Private Mail Box companies have come under heavy scrutiny. In the past, they were supposed to get a USPS form filled out and signed -- but many just didn't. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find one that wouldn't require the form (ps1583) -- and that form requires two forms of ID:

Valid driver's license or non-driver's license state ID
Armed forces, government, university, or recognized corporate ID
Passport or alien registration card or certificate of naturalization
Current lease, mortgage, or deed
Voter or vehicle registration card.

And carries this warning:
"Warning: The furnishing of false or misleading information on this form or omission of material information may result in criminal sanctions (including fines and imprisonment) and/or civil sanctions (including multiple damages and civil penalties)."

It's a catch 22 (circular logic) to try to get a PMB in order to get a DL (unless you're willing to risk perjury charges.)

Munk
07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
There are long-term RV "campgrounds" (not a great term for what they are) that have addresses and sell the slips by the week or month (they usually have full hookups and are actually kinda nice). I've been to a couple of them.

I do think it's a good point that requiring a physical address for everyone is wrong, and that there needs to be a method for people who are migratory by using RVs, hotels, or campgrounds to be able to exercise their rights.

Getting a DL in NV has changed in recent years. A friend of mine moved from Palo Alto to Beatty NV in 2007. He went to the DMV in Tonopah -- walked in with a CA DL and walked out with a NV DL and plates. Since then, NV has implemented most of the real ID Act. They now mail your DL and plates to your NV residence address. (Old time residents may opt out of the new features on the NV DL -- but they cannot board an aircraft with the non-compliant ID.)

Since 9/11. Private Mail Box companies have come under heavy scrutiny. In the past, they were supposed to get a USPS form filled out and signed -- but many just didn't. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find one that wouldn't require the form (ps1583) -- and that form requires two forms of ID:

"Warning: The furnishing of false or misleading information on this form or omission of material information may result in criminal sanctions (including fines and imprisonment) and/or civil sanctions (including multiple damages and civil penalties)."

It's a catch 22 (circular logic) to try to get a PMB in order to get a DL (unless you're willing to risk perjury charges.)

The USPS form is something that's required across the country... and it's similarly ignored everywhere. I know this because of issues a P.I. I know has had with getting people's addresses from mailbox stores. The post office is actually supposed to stop service to the whole store if they are non-compliant with their forms and information disclosure rules.

littlejake
07-21-2012, 12:50 PM
I do think it's a good point that requiring a physical address for everyone is wrong, and that there needs to be a method for people who are migratory by using RVs, hotels, or campgrounds to be able to exercise their rights.

I get that -- and agree. One's Rights should not be tied to a physical address. That's not the way the country was founded.

The government feels a need to track its people; and the more it can track people, the less Liberty we have.

(Yeah, I know, some ninny on here will whine that, "If you have nothing to hide, why do you care?") -- It's called Principle.

mag360
07-21-2012, 1:53 PM
it isn't even that this person has nothing to hide. they are essentially a nomad now. The RV is parked at a friends house. But is that their 4473 address? He doesn't have a utility bill there and his old CA DL address is the foreclosed house. I know, I know he should have bought it before foreclosure but people dont think through our pointless laws in advance all the time.

Anchors
07-21-2012, 8:55 PM

I know that is false because ID is absolutely, 100% not legally required to board an aircraft. Many people have written about this and how they've basically told TSA to pound sand when told they couldn't board without ID. They got the full shakedown but at the end of the day they flew.

I wouldn't do that though, I'd be afraid to get terrorist watch listed lol.

edit: TSA website is contrary to this, but I specifically remember reading about this at length previously..

ETA: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/faa/noid.html

NovaTodd
07-22-2012, 3:15 PM
Long term RV park in NV. Switch the drivers licence to that address and you are good to go.

That is how we moved to a free state. NC has some specific laws needing a Pistol Purchase Permit or CCW to purchase a pistol, but everything else is pretty much cash & carry.

mag360
07-31-2012, 3:05 PM
So what if they didn't even get a long term RV park, they just got a mailbox at a UPS store or a mail forwarding service, can they do that to get a Nevada DL? They will be traveling a lot and working short term jobs as they come up in California on occasion.

littlejake
07-31-2012, 3:13 PM
So what if they didn't even get a long term RV park, they just got a mailbox at a UPS store or a mail forwarding service, can they do that to get a Nevada DL? They will be traveling a lot and working short term jobs as they come up in California on occasion.

See my first post in this thread.

TKM
07-31-2012, 4:08 PM
Check the cruisers sites. A lot of people live on boats and have work arounds.