PDA

View Full Version : Reloading and airline travel

mike_the_wino
07-20-2012, 2:57 PM
Pulling the trigger on this RCBS Rock Chucker kit (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit) (unless there is a better deal some where else) and it just occurred to me about travel and reloading.

Have any of you been stopped going through TSA because of residue? I ask because I was on a fishing trip with a guy that randomly got checked on the first leg of a flight out and the machine found nitrates. He had been making sausage the day or two before and apparently that was enough to trigger the machine. Do you not reload two before traveling?

Dark Mod
07-20-2012, 3:23 PM
Never had a problem but then again i havent gone through security in years since i dont fly commercial anymore.

Dont they just swab your bags though?

joelogic
07-20-2012, 3:32 PM
I asked a TSA agent and he said the machine does not check for gun powder. But who knows if he even knew what he was talking about.

Fjold
07-20-2012, 3:43 PM
I was shootiing in Texas and the next day had to fly home. I tripped the detector on the swipe test because of residue on my computer bag and camera.

I showed the TSA people the pictures of us shooting on my digital camera and it was no big deal.

sofbak
07-20-2012, 4:15 PM
I asked a TSA agent and he said the machine does not check for gun powder. But who knows if he even knew what he was talking about.

He was either lying to you or ignorant. From the minute you cross an entry doorway into a commercial aiport you are being "sniffed" by gas chromatographs strategically located all along the way from the ticket counter, to the security entry point, to your gate.

Intimid8tor
07-20-2012, 4:25 PM
About 10 years ago I took my dad to Idaho to go fishing. We flew out of Reno. They swabbed his bag and came up with nitrates. Why? He owns a nursery and they use fertilizer which gets tracked everywhere. Took a report and sent him on the way.

You might get stopped. Maybe not right away, but as the residue spreads you could.

M27
07-20-2012, 4:31 PM
I was stoped because I went shooting and used my back pack as a rifle rest. I told the guy he sent the back pack through the x ray again and sent me on my way.

Henry Shooter
07-20-2012, 4:44 PM
I spend 6 months out of the year on travel I also reload exstensively and all in a 2 bedroom condo. My luggage, carry on and body get swiped regularly and have not been hit. I would recommend not using any bag that you take to the range that might have a hint of residue powder gun oil in it. Then you might ring the bells. I've never been hit when I carry a checked firearm or ammo either. But that should be a given to TSA.

Inkman
07-20-2012, 6:05 PM
Only flew once with guns. Got stopped at SFO and they swabbed my shoes. Said it was random. I have no idea. YMMV. Now i go to larger matches that are within driving distance (12-15 hrs each way).

Al

Javi
07-20-2012, 8:28 PM
Pulling the trigger on this RCBS Rock Chucker kit (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit) (unless there is a better deal some where else) and it just occurred to me about travel and reloading.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC09357

$290 there before shipping. I was going to mention Palmetto State Armory where I got mine at a great price (was 20% off everything+free shipping) but they are out of stock.

lpspinner
07-21-2012, 8:08 AM
They do swab if you get selected. I have never had a problem with them. I usually get selected a lot cause I'm carrying a larger quantity liquid. btw....I use the VIP lanes, so they are just as vigilant.

mike_the_wino
07-21-2012, 9:14 PM
Nice tip Javi, thank you.

So is everyone okay with this selection? I don't want to go with crappy equipment.

NoNOS67
07-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Nice tip Javi, thank you.

So is everyone okay with this selection? I don't want to go with crappy equipment.

It's a great press and will last a lifetime (or two) if you take care of it. You'll probably want a progressive eventually, but there is always a place for a good single stage.

30Cal
07-22-2012, 6:38 AM
I've carried on the same duffel that I use at the range.

lwlaml
07-23-2012, 9:01 PM
I have flown in and out of Ontario, John Wayne, Columbus, DFW, and others with a pistol and ammo. They always swipe at ONT and Columbus, but John Wayne and DFW only send it through the x-ray (never been swiped there). I have never set off any alarms. I have also carried spent brass in my computer bag and it has not set off any alarms.