PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake and field contact question

VFX_man
07-20-2012, 1:50 PM
Hi all, having recently had a close brush with a rattler on a trail . . . my buddy walked by it first and did not see it and it did not respond, I was about 6 feet back and it first started rattling when I was about 2 feet from it. A quick side-step and jump got me out of the way quickly.

The boot thread got me thinking . . . do people here buy snake boots or gators for the field?

Have you had contact with rattlers that did not go well?

Are you more likely to get hit by a drunk driver or lightning?

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/VFX_man/Snapbucket/0DC79F1E.jpg

Cheers!

POLICESTATE
07-20-2012, 1:53 PM
Boots. You want at least 8" height on them, more is better. Good thick leather.

Depending on time of day and location and season you could run into them or not.

21SF
07-20-2012, 1:56 PM
I usually carry a mongoose in my pack for this type of occasion.

Yes people buy snake boots for snakes in the field.

p7m8jg
07-20-2012, 2:02 PM
I hear it tastes just like chicken.....

Sunday
07-20-2012, 2:05 PM
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/VFX_man/Snapbucket/0DC79F1E.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers!Different species of rattle snakes have a different levels of aggression. The contact I have had with rattle snakes over the years has not been good for the rattle snakes.

jmonte35
07-20-2012, 2:28 PM
prevention is important like a good pair of boots......however, most people survive rattlesnake bites even without antivenom. Especially healthy adults. If you ever get bitten...remain calm and get to a hospital but don't freak out and risk other injury.

Funny story about a friend who got a rattlesnake bite from about a 2 footer. He was freaking out and crying the whole way to the hospital. We got to the hospital and there was ZERO and I mean ZERO urgency in the hospital staff. We finally got to a room and buddy was hyperventalating he was panicking so much. Finally the doc comes in and says...."calm down" but really it sounded like "stop being a vagina" LOL. Then doc procedes with...you will almost definitely survive the bite....we are getting a vile of antivenom ready but you likely would not need it.....so relax...you're ok. After that it was hilarious because my buddy instantly felt better. Than he got his iv/shot and they monitored him for a little bit and simply released him. It also greatly depends on the type of rattler but I believe most out here...are the milder type. The one that bit my buddy was in NY and they tend to be a little more potent from what I understand....but still the doc said he would survive.

So long story short......don't freak out.....relax take a deep breath and just get to a hospital to make sure you get looked at. Children, sick, and elderly are mostly at risk.

That being said....easier said than done....I would have likely been freaking out too.

CS Sports
07-20-2012, 2:34 PM
Ironically, the only person I actually know who was ever bitten by a rattler while hunting wore snake chaps, and he was wearing them the day he was bitten.

renval
07-20-2012, 2:41 PM
this is what i did with it in my last encounter:D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/renval/sequoia3.jpg

HokeySon
07-20-2012, 2:46 PM
I have been looking to get some over the calf Chippiwas (sp?). Got some nasty greenies around. I hate those things.

Plus, if I get some of them, I can pretend to be a jack-booted thug whenever I want. Chicks oughta dig that!

TuleyHopn
07-20-2012, 2:47 PM
Seriously, Rattlers (if big enough) are great eating. They do NOT taste like chicken....... more like frog legs. Boil them up in 2 cans of beer and a cup of garlic and you have a real quick gourmet entree or cut it up and put it in your chili. (just imagine the stories you can make up about that!) :43:
The only time a rattlesnake is aggressive is when someone/thing invades its personal space (usually its strike zone which is about 2/3rds of its body length) or when it is in "the blind" meaning when it's shedding. There are 2 exceptions to this rule, sidewinders and mojave greens,(both are territorial) neither of which you will find north of Bakersfield.
For anyone who has not encountered one....... a rattler's buzz is V E R Y distinctive, hahaha once you hear it you KNOW what it is without a doubt. Hopefully a clean pair of underwear are available close by.

LOVE this forum folks!!

Ken Woodford
07-20-2012, 2:56 PM
I wear snake gators when I am out hunting...gators that go up to my knee. I don't like snakes and every rattlesnake I see ends up dead.

I wouldn't care if the DFG outlawed killing of rattlesnakes...I would still kill everyone I see.

Curley Red
07-20-2012, 3:07 PM
Killing an animal just because you don't like it gives gun owners a bad name and is stupid. And to admit that you would commit a crime on a public forum shows just my point.

renval
07-20-2012, 4:19 PM
i think it would be ok to leave it there for the next fellow hunter right!
now who is the stupid!!!
i was hunting G squirrels and i didnt shot it, i use a big stick! :/

Abesnake
07-20-2012, 8:40 PM
I wear snake gators when I am out hunting...gators that go up to my knee. I don't like snakes and every rattlesnake I see ends up dead.

I wouldn't care if the DFG outlawed killing of rattlesnakes...I would still kill everyone I see.

Actually, that isn't very smart; especially in rural areas. There are lots of people who like them around their country homes because they keep the rodent population down very well. It isn't necessary to shoot them to get rid of them either. Just keep a cat outside and you won't see snakes or rodents at all. In the wilderness I usually carry a few rounds of steel shot when I hunt, because they are a great campfire BBQ at the end of the day. I use to pin down the hides and salt them. Then I would make a hat band or cover a belt with the skin. I keep a rattle in a vile in my desk. They are pretty fragile. :D

pieeater
07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Killing an animal just because you don't like it gives gun owners a bad name and is stupid. And to admit that you would commit a crime on a public forum shows just my point.

Why?I kill gophers in my backyard cause i dont like them. And sorry if it was illegal id still do it.

chicoredneck
07-21-2012, 4:54 AM

As a fisherman or as a hunter, have you never killed an animal that you didn't use or eat? I'm betting so.

parcours
07-21-2012, 5:55 AM

I don't think it's about just killing, if there's threat to you or someone else do what you need to do.

Using dog's to hunt Quail and Chukar will often get you situations where you or your dog come across a rattler. If you're smart you have your dog snake broke, however there are instances where even a snake broke dog will be curious. A snake bite from a Pacific or Diamond Back may not be an issue for you or your dog. If the dog has vaccinated you have some time to get to the vet. However even with the vaccine you must get your dog to a vet immediately and it's going to cost you several thousands.

Now get bit from a Mojave Green, all bets are off, different toxin, different animal. Nothing can be done for a dog and if a human gets bit, time is of the essence to get to a hosp.

Baxter
07-21-2012, 7:23 AM
Kill them.
First day you let one go, next day get bit.

Ken Woodford
07-21-2012, 7:59 AM

I don't care!! Who said I would use a gun? It was also a crime to sign the declaration of independence...sometimes laws have to be broken.

Ken Woodford
07-21-2012, 8:00 AM
Actually, that isn't very smart; especially in rural areas. There are lots of people who like them around their country homes because they keep the rodent population down very well. It isn't necessary to shoot them to get rid of them either. Just keep a cat outside and you won't see snakes or rodents at all. In the wilderness I usually carry a few rounds of steel shot when I hunt, because they are a great campfire BBQ at the end of the day. I use to pin down the hides and salt them. Then I would make a hat band or cover a belt with the skin. I keep a rattle in a vile in my desk. They are pretty fragile. :D

I don't care!! Have them all you want around your place. Give your number and next time I kill one I will call you and you can go get it for a hat band.

Ken Woodford
07-21-2012, 8:07 AM
First off rattlesnakes don't always rattle before striking. Please don't tell me that they only bite if the feel threatened. I give them a wide berth yet how do I know they are there and how is it threatening them by walking by?. The last one I killed never rattled....I just happen to see it 2 feet away. In fact I have had at least 5 not rattle.

pieeater
07-21-2012, 8:29 AM
I don't care!! Have them all you want around your place. Give your number and next time I kill one I will call you and you can go get it for a hat band.

Hopefuly before the Lynyrd skynyrd/ Molly Hatchet reunion tour comes thru town.

pieeater
07-21-2012, 8:36 AM
I remember when I was napping on the side of a hill in A zone midday. Woke up and a small one was laying about 2 or 3 feet away. Hard to sleep after that.

MJB
07-21-2012, 9:33 AM
"turtle skin " is the brand. No boots just gators to use anywhere anytime with any boot. It gives me confidence to walk without worrying about snakes.

If an animal is going to cost my pets there life or lots of money.....IT'S DEAD! One of my jagds got bit last summer....luckily it was a dry bite but I also do the vaccine.

toby
07-21-2012, 9:50 AM
[QUOTE=Curley Red;8967878]Killing an animal just because you don't like it gives gun owners a bad name and is stupid. And to admit that you would commit a crime on a public forum shows just my point.[/QUOT

.........:confused:.......... It's an efin HUNTING,FISHING, KILLING forum. Did you kill that fish in your avatar or just catch it for the fun of it, either way you molested it so thats just the way it is.

VFX_man
07-21-2012, 9:51 AM
Decided to order these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002OSXYV8

Didn't like having to look down more than up when I'm in the field.
As far as the rattler in the OP, we watched it for a while and then encouraged it to leave the trail. It rattled for quite sometime as it was slithering away. For some reason i thought they only rattled while stationary.

Almost stepped directly on the below snake last weekend. Is it a CA garter snake?

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/VFX_man/Snapbucket/36EF95CE.jpg

paul0660
07-21-2012, 9:56 AM
I don't care!! Who said I would use a gun? It was also a crime to sign the declaration of independence...sometimes laws have to be broken.

Bad analogy of the year.

kayaker
07-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Rattle snakes do a much better job than you ever will to control the ground squirrel population. Snakes are a natural part of the ecosystem. Man has always done a horrible job of trying to control ecosystems to our liking. My philosophy is to harvest what we need or want to eat. Killing a predator is O.K. if it is killing livestock or threatening human life. Otherwise leave it alone. A snake that can be avoided should be avoided rather than killed. This is another one of those times when hunters and gun owners get a bad name for killing everything that moves, even if you used a stick.

pieeater
07-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Gopher snake. And seriously I wouldnt worry about rattlesnakes or any other animal in California.

Decided to order these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002OSXYV8

Didn't like having to look down more than up when I'm in the field.
As far as the rattler in the OP, we watched it for a while and then encouraged it to leave the trail. It rattled for quite sometime as it was slithering away. For some reason i thought they only rattled while stationary.

Almost stepped directly on the below snake last weekend. Is it a CA garter snake?

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/VFX_man/Snapbucket/36EF95CE.jpg

kgcabs
07-21-2012, 10:44 AM
another vote for turtle skin gaiters..... over danner pronghorns.

http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?dr=products&fn=product_details&pr_id=GAITER-49-1&cid=37

call them for pricing.

VFX_man
07-21-2012, 12:10 PM

http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?dr=products&fn=product_details&pr_id=GAITER-49-1&cid=37

call them for pricing.

Y'all better be right or i'll come back from the dead to haunt you ;)

Danner order cancelled and the Turtle skins are ordered. Should have them in time to bust brush at the @#*(@ Rabbit hunt!

Cheers!

VaderSpade
07-21-2012, 12:50 PM
A rattler killed my Jack Russell last Sunday. While telling someone about it last week they told me a rattlesnake had killed their neighbors horse just last month. So size has little to do with it. If a snake can kill a horse they damn well can kill YOU!!! I have no love for them.

rexbo47
07-21-2012, 1:16 PM
I wear a pair of Rocky snake boots when I'm turkey hunting in the spring.

A little defense when walking through the tall grass.

kgcabs
07-21-2012, 1:29 PM
Y'all better be right or i'll come back from the dead to haunt you ;)

Danner order cancelled and the Turtle skins are ordered. Should have them in time to bust brush at the @#*(@ Rabbit hunt!

Cheers!

Over meaning I wear turtle skins over my danner pronghorn boots. I have tried a few different brands of gaiters and found the ts to be the coolest.....least hot.

good luck and be alert

Sheepdog1968
07-21-2012, 1:40 PM
Was watching the news last night. Santa Clara county has had seven rattlesnake bites so far this year. Last year had seven for the whole year. Drier spring makes them travel farther for food and water. One person walking the local trails said he saw 18 of them.

pieeater
07-21-2012, 1:49 PM
A rattler killed my Jack Russell last Sunday. While telling someone about it last week they told me a rattlesnake had killed their neighbors horse just last month. So size has little to do with it. If a snake can kill a horse they damn well can kill YOU!!! I have no love for them.

Damn sorry to hear that we have a jack russel too, that sucks. sorry

VaderSpade
07-21-2012, 2:20 PM
Thanks,

Thatís him on the bear. The little guy knew no fear, but thatís what got him in the end. A couple days earlier he had dug out a couple of ground squirrels. He was digging and barking all day. The day he got bit was two days later, the same thing digging and barking all day. I donít know if he was after the snake from the get go, or if the snake just happened to be in the squirrel hole?
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Dscn9341.jpg

Damn sorry to hear that we have a jack russel too, that sucks. sorry

Rider1k
07-21-2012, 2:56 PM
While living in AZ my lab was bit on the nose by a rattler. Nasty! He survived. They are around more than most know. I See them occasionally here in Cal where I hunt Hogs and Deer. I usually just go around and let them be. I've killed a few as well. You must always be looking where you step. They are all around and from what I hear not bad tasting.

toby
07-21-2012, 3:36 PM
Any Rattle snake I come across in the wild becomes a dead snake. I just may have saved a life.

pieeater
07-21-2012, 3:51 PM
Thanks,

. He was digging and barking all day.
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Dscn9341.jpg

Sounds like a normal day at our house. Good lookin dog damn thats a bummer.

kakinuma-kun
07-21-2012, 5:54 PM
I've encountered many, many rattlesnakes having grown up in Arizona.

In my youth, I was likely to have killed any rattlesnake that I encountered.

But, having learned the importance of rattlesnakes to the environment in terms of rodent control, I now just ignore them when hiking and hunting. I do carry a shot shell as my first round in the chamber.

I might feel differently if I found a rattlesnake around the yard, although I suppose that I could call DFG or county animal control...

wjc
07-21-2012, 8:15 PM

call them for pricing.

Mark another one for for Turtleskins over Danners. I used them last spring and
the gaitors are almost weightless. Damn comfy, too.

spectr17
07-21-2012, 8:45 PM
Luv my Turtleskin gaitors. They also make snake proof pants that are pretty lightweight, unlike them thick heavy chaps. I've thought about going to the SP pants instead of new brush pants, kill 2 birds with one stone. I know one guy who got bit in the azz, he got it when he sat down on a cut bank and the snake was right there hiding in the brush. He never saw it he said. That's the thing about rattlers, it's the ones you never see that will get ya. Too many close calls for me.

http://www.turtleskin.com/Hunting-Clothing.aspx

11HE9
07-21-2012, 9:18 PM
I have lived in, camped in, and hiked through "Rattle snake country" most of my life. I have seen 1 rattler in the wild, I guess I've been lucky :cool:

SniperSchool
07-21-2012, 9:37 PM
Snakes are not dangerous it's the people who walk on them :)

devil83dog@hotmail.com
07-22-2012, 12:08 PM
i have yet to encounter a snake while hunting, but i am looking foward to it.......not sure how i will cook it...

pieeater
07-22-2012, 12:16 PM
i have yet to encounter a snake while hunting, but i am looking foward to it.......not sure how i will cook it...

Cut it into chunks soak it in buttermilk dredge it in a seasoned flour and fry it up. Since your buying buttermilk I usualy make a homemade buttermilk ranch to dip it in. And I kill on average about 2 to 6 rattlers a year up here in norcal.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
07-22-2012, 12:17 PM
nice.......hope ill run into some next month while hunting in A-Zone....

pieeater
07-22-2012, 12:27 PM
nice.......hope ill run into some next month while hunting in A-Zone....

They can be fast if they want to. I usualy start throwing rocks at them as fast as I can to piss them off and make them coil up so they dont take off. Then a nice long stick or a big rock does the trick or if your in the truck use a shovel. lol.

pieeater
07-22-2012, 12:31 PM
If your going to cook it get a nice fat one they dont have much meat.

http://www.fototime.com/ACD91528E3476CD/standard.jpg