PDA

View Full Version : Newb! TGIF & a few questions for your amusement

pinner
07-20-2012, 9:21 AM
First, thanks to all of the Calgunners out there for sharing their knowledge and passion. I have only been checking out the forums for the last month or so, and I have really appreciated all of the awesome info I’ve found here. Thank you!

I am going to be buying a shotgun for HD, and have already bought a safe (again, thanks to some awesome info found here on Calguns!). I have a couple of random newb questions, just putting it out there if anyone has any nuggets of wisdom handy while they drink their morning coffee :D Apologies if I shouldn’t post here – I can post to a diff section of the forum if best!

I recently shot an 20 ga 870 at Targetmasters in Milpitas, only the 2nd gun I’ve shot (1st was a smith/Wesson 9m) – what I was floored by was how much fun it was! I am completely new to guns, so along the with shotgun, I am also interested in a picking up a Ruger 10/22 as well to shoot more regularly and learn some basic stuff.

NRA First Steps Shotgun class – Any recommendations for who teaches it in the Bay Area? I completed the 1st steps handgun class, and want to do the same thing with the shotgun. Guns are still VERY new to me, and I want to be as comfortable as possible with the Mossberg, handling, fit, components, maintenance, ammo options, handling jams, basic range etiquette, basics of California laws etc. I really enjoyed shooting it for the first time, and to be honest, I can’t wait to go again.

Shopping – any recommended websites are out there with good bargains, shipping deals and customer service? Mostly for accessories like cases or bits to customize? Cheapest ammo?

Used Guns – like everyone, I’m on an annoying budget, but every $20 bucks counts. Can’t help but want to put some stuff in that new safe! Any reliable places to find them, or things to avoid? I prob should skip since I couldn’t spot any flaws or issues (not that smart yet!)?

Gun Shows – I have never been to one, but keep hearing all you can find anymore is Beef Jerky and flashlights. Should I pass on this weekend’s shows in Vallejo or San Jose and just wait for the next one at the Cow Palace?

Mossberg 500 Combo at big5 – I’m going with this one as a very basic, good 1st shotgun, and am waiting for it to go on sale at Big5. I like that it comes with the two barrels so that I can get both the HD and all-range friendly options. Do other retailers sell this combo, or is it exclusive to Big5?

Ranges with Gun Rentals – The folks at Targetmasters were pretty great, and I love their selection of rentals. Any other spots that I should check out that are newb friendly with rentals to choose from?

Books - I'm picking up a copy of "Shoot: Guide to Shooting/Competition", another good intro books to check out? How about a good on basics of maintenance/assembly?

Thanks for putting up with the questions, and for any tips - have a great weekend!

Josh3239
07-20-2012, 9:57 AM
I can't help you with everything unfortunetly, plus I'm in SoCal, but here are some suggestions.

1) I haven't seen the Big5 combo anywhere else but spare Mossberg 500 barrels aren't hard to find.

2) My local gun shows suck. Mostly toys and beef jerky. After going to out of state gun shows, I am bored at CA ones. I have heard good things about the Cow Palace but never personally been.

3) Most people would suggest the book, "How To Own A Gun And Stay Out Of Jail". Never read it personally, but it couldn't hurt. A basic reloading manual like the "ABCs of Reloading", even if you don't plan to reload, will help you better understand how guns and ammo works and internal and external ballistics. Also there are a lot of good magazines out there, I am sure there are ones out there specificall for shotguns. I personally really like SWAT magazine, that is more tactical, training and tests/evaluations with a police side to it. A lot of the writers are former military and/or police and currently instructors.

4) Often times you can find good deals on GunBroker. Before buying stuff definetly familiarize yourself with the buying process because it is complicated for people who haven't done it before. Also keep in mind the cost. You have the gun, shipping, then when it arrives a DROS and a transfer fee which can range from $60 to $200 depending on the FFL.

5) My list of favorite stores (get your 03 FFL and most will give you a discount):
- MidwayUSA
- Brownells
- Rainier Arms
- AmmunitionToGo
- ExileMachine
- CopesDistributing
- JoeBobOutfitters

den888
07-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Welcome!

MrExel17
07-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

zod
07-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Welcome aboard.

BlackTydeTactical
07-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Welcome aboard!

SoCal Bob
07-20-2012, 2:46 PM
Howdy

h0use
07-20-2012, 2:52 PM
welcome

fighterpilot562
07-20-2012, 3:06 PM
Welcome

.22guy
07-20-2012, 7:07 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

bsg
07-20-2012, 9:45 PM
welcome to the forum.

INJUNTOM
07-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Welcome aboard

xXx Sir Sik xXx
07-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Welcome

DeanW66
07-21-2012, 3:30 AM
Welcome aboard!

I don't have many specific answers to your specific questions. However, I have been happy with www.galleryofguns.com to order a specific model via a local shop. That site gives you the full quote to several different local-to-you dealers. One firearm I was shopping for had a $75 price difference (on a ~$325 gun) between different dealers.

And good luck with your search!

pinner
07-21-2012, 5:05 PM
Thanks much for the feedback and book, site tips! Will definitely check em out!

I can't help you with everything unfortunetly, plus I'm in SoCal, but here are some suggestions.

1) I haven't seen the Big5 combo anywhere else but spare Mossberg 500 barrels aren't hard to find.

2) My local gun shows suck. Mostly toys and beef jerky. After going to out of state gun shows, I am bored at CA ones. I have heard good things about the Cow Palace but never personally been.

3) Most people would suggest the book, "How To Own A Gun And Stay Out Of Jail". Never read it personally, but it couldn't hurt. A basic reloading manual like the "ABCs of Reloading", even if you don't plan to reload, will help you better understand how guns and ammo works and internal and external ballistics. Also there are a lot of good magazines out there, I am sure there are ones out there specificall for shotguns. I personally really like SWAT magazine, that is more tactical, training and tests/evaluations with a police side to it. A lot of the writers are former military and/or police and currently instructors.

4) Often times you can find good deals on GunBroker. Before buying stuff definetly familiarize yourself with the buying process because it is complicated for people who haven't done it before. Also keep in mind the cost. You have the gun, shipping, then when it arrives a DROS and a transfer fee which can range from $60 to $200 depending on the FFL.

5) My list of favorite stores (get your 03 FFL and most will give you a discount):
- MidwayUSA
- Brownells
- Rainier Arms
- AmmunitionToGo
- ExileMachine
- CopesDistributing
- JoeBobOutfitters

pinner
07-21-2012, 5:08 PM
DeanW66,
That sounds awesome - thank you for the suggestion!!

frankDmole
07-24-2012, 2:10 AM
Welcome to CalGuns.

socalpistolero
07-24-2012, 5:07 PM
welcome.

SURVIVOR619
07-24-2012, 6:48 PM
Howdy!

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
07-25-2012, 4:21 PM
welcome