PDA

View Full Version : The gun is ALWAYS loaded

allright
07-20-2012, 9:16 AM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/07/20/man-accidentally-shoots-himself-at-sonoma-gun-range/

A Novato man died at a Sonoma gun range Thursday after accidentally shooting himself in the chest, according to police.

Jay Sitton, 55, had been skeet shooting at the Black Point Sports Club on Lakeville Highway, according to a Press Democrat article. A club employee found Sitton on the ground next to his pickup around 1:15p.m., according to the article.

The truck’s door was open, and a shotgun was found in the cab facing outward, said Lt. Bret Sackett of the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office.

“It appears the subject accidently shot himself as he removed the shotgun from the back seat,” Sackett said in a statement.

Sitton was the only one using the range at the time, according to the article.

Cactus_Tim
07-20-2012, 9:52 AM
That's just sad, and unfortunate.

Barbarossa
07-20-2012, 10:05 AM
in the chest
skeet shooting

Bird shot?

Let the debate begin!

(unfortunate, and wish his family and friends peace while coping with this tragedy)

tradecraft
07-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Suicide?

fighterpilot562
07-20-2012, 10:14 AM
How sad

crackerman
07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Bird shot?

Let the debate begin!

(unfortunate, and wish his family and friends peace while coping with this tragedy)

Point blank even blank loads can kill, not really a debate is there?

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity," on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load blanks into a .44 Magnum handgun. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and in what would appear to be a game of Russian roulette, at 5:15 p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.[6]

em9sredbeam
07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Guys no debate, a gun is a gun is a gun. End discussion. That is sad, and my heart goes out to the family. That is why we need to have it ingrained into our heads, our friends' heads, our children's, nephews', nieces', parents', and grandparents' heads, that it is always loaded and it is not a toy.

monk
07-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I will never understand why people choose to ignore the four basic rules of firearms.

A-J
07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Sad, and if not a suicide, 100% preventable.

MXRider
07-20-2012, 11:21 AM
How the **** do you shoot yourself in the chest with any long gun? Typical 26" skeet gun is over 40" long.

Seems intentional to me.

Merc1138
07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
How the **** do you shoot yourself in the chest with any long gun? Typical 26" skeet gun is over 40" long.

Seems intentional to me.

Pulling on the barrel while not paying attention to see whether or not the trigger is caught on something.

MXRider
07-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Pulling on the barrel while not paying attention to see whether or not the trigger is caught on something.

If that is the case then we have a Darwin award candidate. I find it hard believe someone who made it to 55 years of age would do that on accident though.

bloodhawke83
07-20-2012, 11:31 AM
You get whats coming to you....

\/ \/ \/

Dantedamean
07-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Sad if it's a suicide, Darwinism if it's an accident.

MrExel17
07-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Sad it happened!

Merc1138
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
If that is the case then we have a Darwin award candidate. I find it hard believe someone who made it to 55 years of age would do that on accident though.

I wouldn't find that hard to believe at all. Never underestimate the stupidity of humanity.

edwardm
07-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I spend a decent amount of time at Black Point and have seen all sorts of poor safety habits up there. This is not the first accidental shooting in the club's history, either. The other one that I am aware of was non-fatal, but a person had permanent vision loss in one eye as a result (it was a Dick Cheney move).

Fortunately, it's the off-season there, so I suspect there were not many people around to get fragged by this man's careless behavior.

Sunday
07-20-2012, 1:13 PM
The gun is always loaded ,,,no sh t!!

mike_the_wino
07-20-2012, 2:28 PM
Sad indeed.

Cali-Shooter
07-20-2012, 5:13 PM
Bird shot?

Let the debate begin!

There is not enough information; we cannot assume anything. Maybe he had 00 buckshot or a slug loaded for defense. In either case, RIP sad tragedy, always got to watch that muzzle and trigger... :(

Whiskey_Sauer
07-23-2012, 9:15 AM
So I thought I'd take the time to say a few words here, because as it turns out, I actually knew Jay. I hadn't spoken to him for many years, but I knew him well enough to attest that he was a great guy, who always put his family first.

Marin IJ article here (http://www.marinij.com/novato/ci_21123032/novato-man-accidentally-kills-self-at-shooting-range).

His politics and beliefs (on issues such as gun control) would be right in line around here... so while some of you pop off about "Darwinism," etc., maybe to make yourselves feel better, I'd tell you that you would never say that if you had known him. He was careless, and made a tragic mistake to be sure, but his family doesn't deserve for this community of all communities to turn him into an idiot who got what's coming to him. Let's be better than that. Let's reflect, and learn from it.

RIP, Jay.

moulton
07-23-2012, 9:24 AM
I had no idea there was even a shotgun range down there.