PDA

View Full Version : Loaded Open Carry on private property

Cowboy Tom
07-20-2012, 8:48 AM
Morning,
I own a few acres south of San Jose, not in the city limits, in the county.
I know I cannot carry loaded concealed because we have no fence around the property. Last time I checked, it is OK to shoot on my property. My question, can I loaded open carry anywhere on my property? Any info is helpful and links to where I could check would be great.
Thanks for any help.

troysland
07-20-2012, 8:58 AM
Penal Codes 12025 and specifically 12026. Your land, your right!

troysland
07-20-2012, 8:59 AM
Here's the link.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

Flintlock Tom
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Generally speaking anywhere it is legal to shoot it is legal to open carry.

A-J
07-20-2012, 11:29 AM
we have no fence around the property

I would be concerned. There are recent cases where "private" property was deemed public in the context of carrying firearms because there was no physical barrier (IE a fence) that enclosed the area. Your best bet is to check with the LEOs who are responsible for your area and ask them. They may not have the "legally correct" answer, but since they are the ones who would be arrsting you if you were in the wrong, it would at least let you know what they think about it. Just my 2 pennies.

Decoligny
07-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Morning,
I own a few acres south of San Jose, not in the city limits, in the county.
I know I cannot carry loaded concealed because we have no fence around the property. Last time I checked, it is OK to shoot on my property. My question, can I loaded open carry anywhere on my property? Any info is helpful and links to where I could check would be great.
Thanks for any help.

The fenced in part deals with the law prohibiting loaded weapons (used to be 12031). That law prohibits loaded firearms within any public area of an incorporated city or in any public area of a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

If you are not in an incorporated city (you are not), and you are in an area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited, you can carry loaded.

As far as carrying concealed, there is no prohibition concerning being on your own private property and that property being "accessable to the public", aka "a public area".

You can legally carry loaded and concealed on unfenced private property in unincopropated territory where discharge of a fiream is not prohibited.

Librarian
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
The fenced in part deals with the law prohibiting loaded weapons (used to be 12031). That law prohibits loaded firearms within any public area of an incorporated city or in any public area of a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

If you are not in an incorporated city (you are not), and you are in an area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited, you can carry loaded.

As far as carrying concealed, there is no prohibition concerning being on your own private property and that property being "accessable to the public", aka "a public area".

You can legally carry loaded and concealed on unfenced private property in unincopropated territory where discharge of a fiream is not prohibited.

I think that's the correct summary.

Cowboy Tom
07-20-2012, 5:02 PM
Looks like concealed carry on my property is the way to go.
Thanks everyone for the help.