PDA

View Full Version : Berry's Plated 147 gr. 9mm Load Data with Unique

the86d
07-20-2012, 5:01 AM
I got the last box of Berry's Plated 9mm, and they only had 147gr which I have never worked up a load for with "Unique".

I can't seem to find definitive data and every post (even on other forums) list "all other grains of bullet" and "other powders" in the threads, so please avoid doing that in replies here so others may get better search results than I could find.

Please advise as to a good starting load, and what you worked up to for 147gr Plated Bullets (only) w/ Unique (only).

These will be used in my Beretta M9, and the Lady's Ruger SR-9.

Bill Steele
07-20-2012, 7:55 AM
I got the last box of Berry's Plated 9mm, and they only had 147gr which I have never worked up a load for with "Unique".

I can't seem to find definitive data and every post (even on other forums) list "all other grains of bullet" and "other powders" in the threads, so please avoid doing that in replies here so others may get better search results than I could find.

Please advise as to a good starting load, and what you worked up to for 147gr Plated Bullets (only) w/ Unique (only).

Try starting at 3.8grs and stop when you get to 4.3grs, all at 1.130"

Your slide will kind of feel like it is in slow motion, but it should cycle even on the light side.

Good luck, have fun.

the86d
07-20-2012, 8:11 AM
Sounds like a good, safe starting load...

I'll work up a few loads, and drop some through the chronograph.

Would it be safe to push towards NATO velocities (~1140+ FPS, Berry's states not to push their plated over 1250FPS)?

Bill Steele
07-20-2012, 8:24 AM

Would it be safe to push towards NATO velocities (~1140+ FPS)?

Not sure you can get there with Unique. To get to that velocity you will be well over max book for most powders. I would go to some of the competitive shooter forums looking for Major 9 recipes. Twight zone loading.

GovGeek
02-27-2016, 10:04 PM
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but this helped me, thanks. There STILL isn't much data that talks about Unique+9mm+Berry's Plated 147gr+CCI. I'm new to reloading and I'm a bit worried that I can't find a documented recipe anywhere, in any book or Barry's/Unique's website! Standing in Bass Pro this is all I could come up with to get started this weekend. I've been "dry loading" my setup for a few weeks now and I want to get underway!

samcam13
02-28-2016, 6:41 AM
Alliant has 1 recipe for a 147 grain bullet on their website with a JHP max load of 4.3, Lyman has a TMJ load listed from 3.7-4.5 and a lead load from 3.2-3.8 grains of Unique. So basically, the advice given by Bill was spot on.
I have been using Red dot for all my 9mm practice loads (I have a ton of it!) but actually picked up a box of 147g berry's to try as well. For the 147g I am going to use Unique and PP along with some RD and see what works well with the heavier bullets. I would have tested these a month ago but have had so much fun with my Kimber Ultra 45 it makes my 9mm Shield feel like maybe all the loads are squibs :p

GovGeek
02-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks! I'm using FMJ only at this point, so the lone recepie didn't apply. They also didn't list COAL which makes it especially wanting. Grrr

I usually shoot 124gr and all my stuff is for plinking. But my POA vs POI is still problematic, so adding a wrong load into the mix is going to be frustrating. I use Lehigh Defense ME for my carry ammo and can't afford to waste those on an innocent target.

Sent from my pocket computer via Tapatalk

ironhorse1
02-28-2016, 7:56 PM

Would it be safe to push towards NATO velocities (~1140+ FPS, Berry's states not to push their plated over 1250FPS)?

I seriously doubt that you will achieve anything close to 1140 fps with a 147 grain plated bullet.

Using Blue dot the highest velocity across my chronograph was 969 fps.

This was in a Beretta 92 4.9 inch barrel. I gave up on the 147 grain bullets and went back to 115-124 grains as the best option.

irh

TATER313
02-28-2016, 8:19 PM
3.7-4.5 gr unique 830-1039 fps, 20500-29100 pressure.

GovGeek
03-01-2016, 6:44 AM
3.7-4.5 gr unique 830-1039 fps, 20500-29100 pressure.
What COAL you think?

Sent from my pocket computer via Tapatalk