PDA

View Full Version : Our Civil Rights Movement's Own Currency

choprzrul
07-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Well, not really our own currency, but I think we should claim it as our own.

2A day with Starbucks got me thinking. Why don't we use $2 bills as a sign of support and solidarity? Pro 2A businesses can make change with $2 bills, and pro 2A people can use $2 for purchases. Businesses could even put a $2 bill in their front window as a covert sign if they wanted.

I think that there are enough gun owners to take over an entire segment of our currency. This has the potential to would make a lot of businesses sit up and notice the buying power of 2A types.

We would need a catchy slogan to go along with this. Something like "$2.00 for civil rights solidarity". Suggestions?

My end objective is two fold: take ownership of something already recognized by society as a whole; and secondly, to have people associate 2A + Civil Rights in their minds each time they see a $2 bill. Granted, $2 are pretty uncommon right now, but I think that we could change that.

Thoughts?

taperxz
07-19-2012, 11:04 PM
2 buck chuck

Rumline
07-19-2012, 11:18 PM
The problem is that not many $2 bills were ever printed (in comparison to the other denominations). Check out this page: http://moneyfactory.gov/uscurrency/annualproductionfigures.html Also, when was the last time you saw a $2 bill in circulation, as in you got it as change for a purchase or received it as payment from someone else?

Other than the practical aspect of not having enough $2 bills around, I really like your idea!

Rumline
07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Too bad Canada doesn't have a 2nd Amendment. These are pretty common:
http://fathersforlife.org/images/2$pbear_M.JPG

Mendo223
07-20-2012, 1:24 AM
I keep a 2dollar bill in my wallet at all times

choprzrul
07-20-2012, 7:07 AM
I am going to go to the bank today and get $100 worth of $2 bills.

dantodd
07-20-2012, 8:17 AM
I remember a few years ago folks in the gay rights movement would stamp their money to help people see the economic power wielded by the LGBTQ community. Now there is very little cash economy and as others pointed out even fewer $2 bills. But, if we all made the effort to get $2 bills from the bank and we stamped them with a pro-2A stamp we could probably get a decent number the ones in circulation marked.

It might be fun to do in preparation for 2A day.

Also, if we stamped all our bills, not just the $2 bills, like the gay rights community did (and maybe even get gun shops to stamp their deposits it would be a powerful message, especially in CA.

Wherryj
07-20-2012, 8:51 AM
2 buck chuck

I think that you forgot the "up-" in your phrase.

On the issue of rarity of $2 bills, I didn't realize the rarity. Perhaps it is because I'm married to an Asian woman. $2 bills are good luck, so there are always dozens around the house.

Flintlock Tom
07-20-2012, 10:38 AM
:thumbsup:
I like the idea!

dantodd
07-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I think that you forgot the "up-" in your phrase.

On the issue of rarity of $2 bills, I didn't realize the rarity. Perhaps it is because I'm married to an Asian woman. $2 bills are good luck, so there are always dozens around the house.

Now you'll notice how many you get back in change from stores. The cash drawers typically don't have space for $2 bills so they go under the tray and only end up in the deposit and never get re-distributed.

ptoguy2002
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Good idea, but, sorry, all my $2 bills already go towards civil rights, the, um,.... free speech establishment's college fund.

choprzrul
07-20-2012, 6:10 PM
Good idea, but, sorry, all my $2 bills already go towards civil rights, the, um,.... free speech establishment's college fund.

No problem. Just take a moment and write "2A = Civil Rights" on each one and then send it on its way.

GMG
07-20-2012, 6:50 PM
A long time ago when I was an E2 in the Navy I made $84 per month, paid in cash.

Four $20 bills and two $2 bills. I should have saved those $2 bills, but the San Miguel Beer

and Rum in Olongapo, P.I. was a magnet on my wallet. My will power in those days didn't

exist.:D

tdyoung1958
07-22-2012, 6:22 AM
when was the last time you saw a $2 bill in circulation, as in you got it as change for a purchase or received it as payment from someone else?

I get them at the bank when they have them . . . and use them at fast food places. Have had three encounters with cops/security guards about "some guy with counterfeit money" got free food every time. :D

mzimmers
07-22-2012, 7:39 AM
Personally, I hate the $2 bill. Years ago, when I was a bank teller, we had a customer who made it his personal crusade to get the deuce into better circulation. He'd come up to random tellers and ask for $50 worth every week, and he'd raise a major stink if they didn't have them in their bins.

Plus, in my time in retail, and now as rangemaster for my gun club, I dislike them because, as others have pointed out, there's no till for them, and they complicate the counting-out a bit. I have to think most cash handlers feel more or less as I do on this.

So, maybe we could find something to rally around that doesn't engender reflexive annoyance in people.

EchoFourTango
07-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I like the washington dollar coins. had a friend that was a cashier that hatted them cause there was not place to put them, tough luck, get a better drawer.

gunsandrockets
07-22-2012, 6:04 PM
$2 bills, because of all the complications mentioned by others, best used for tips as a means to spread the word rather than for ordinary purchases.

I think stamping $20 bills with a short pro-2nd Amendment phrase would do a better job of spreading the word and for use in ordinary everyday commerce.

gunsandrockets
07-22-2012, 6:10 PM
$2 bills, because of all the complications mentioned by others, best used for tips as a means to spread the word rather than for ordinary purchases.

I think stamping $20 bills with a short pro-2nd Amendment phrase would do a better job of spreading the word and for use in ordinary everyday commerce.

Scratch the idea of stamping currency. It's against the law.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/475

RP1911
07-22-2012, 7:26 PM
How about a CGN or CGF credit card?

Lone_Gunman
07-22-2012, 7:40 PM
We deal in lead my friend.

choprzrul
07-22-2012, 7:41 PM
Scratch the idea of stamping currency. It's against the law.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/475

Then how are operators allowed to run those machines that press pennies?

gunsandrockets
07-22-2012, 7:51 PM

I don't know the machines you are referring to, but I'm guessing no complaints have been made to the US Treasury Department.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where's_George%3F#Controversy

Nyanman
07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Why not just fold, crease, and then unfold the bill? Not as good a message as a stamp or using $2 bills, but still an obvious thing that seems within the bounds of legality. Seeing as just handing bills around an spitting them in wallets creases and crinkles them, this should be allowed.
Maybe not the best idea, but it's a suggestion.

Icypu
07-23-2012, 12:22 AM
I love $2 bills. Whenever I go to the teller I ask for them specifically. Because they are rare, the ones I get are often clean, crisp and uncirculated. They make me very happy to use since they have like no cooties or bacterium.

joelberg
07-23-2012, 9:32 AM

Pennies are exempt, all other currency is illegal to disfigure or destroy.

ptoguy2002
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Where's George stamp anybody?
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/

tozan
07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

The U.S. Mint has announced that a new regulation, effective immediately, makes it illegal to melt down U.S. Cent and Nickel coins. Due to sharply rising metal prices, the U.S. Cent (99.2% zinc and 0.8% copper core, plated with 100% copper) has a current melt value of 1.12 cents per coin. The nickel, (75% copper and 25% nickel) has a melt value of a hefty 6.99 cents per coin!

ptoguy2002
07-23-2012, 3:37 PM
The U.S. Mint has announced that a new regulation, effective immediately, makes it illegal to melt down U.S. Cent and Nickel coins. Due to sharply rising metal prices, the U.S. Cent (99.2% zinc and 0.8% copper core, plated with 100% copper) has a current melt value of 1.12 cents per coin. The nickel, (75% copper and 25% nickel) has a melt value of a hefty 6.99 cents per coin!

Doesn't pay for the fuel / energy needed to melt it.