PDA

View Full Version : I F@&#% up my brand new stock so...

gatesbox
07-19-2012, 9:59 PM
I just totally messed up a new stock on my Remington 700 so I thought I would make myself feel better by loading up some brand new brass...

http://i.imgur.com/21Mpe.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhh New Brass.......

DRAB_81
07-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Let's see the damage...

gatesbox
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
well it is a little off topic for this forum but I was preparing the stock for pillar bedding and forced out the front escutcheon, which cracked out the bottom of the magazine well.
http://i.imgur.com/uT2RD.jpg

gunboat
07-20-2012, 12:43 AM
It's only f****** if you can't fix it !
Bits of wood and epoxy are your friend.

ColdDeadHands1
07-20-2012, 1:16 AM
Squirt some liquid super glue (not gel) into those cracks & clamp it up tight. Lightly sand and refinish the stock and you should be good to go with no damage other than some small dark lines.

Here is a crack I repaired using this method on a M1917 rifle handguard:

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/garandman14/8crackrepair.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/garandman14/5finished.jpg

CC Gunsmithing
07-20-2012, 1:27 AM
If you can wiggle it, wiggle it good (for you perverts) and try to get a little super glue in under the farthest travel of the broken bit as possible without (Pray A Lot) breaking it more,... then squeeze it back together gently and wipe off the excess with a qtip and some alcohol (if you use too much, it ruins the bond in the crack), not what you drink, and make sure there's no leftover gunk... clamp it together overnight and sand the internal... there might be a bit leftover on the outside of the stock, you might be able to pick that off with an x-acto, or a razor blade..

gatesbox
07-20-2012, 7:33 AM
Yes I'll try some cyanoacrylate glue and do a repair job, but this stock will become a test/ back up. I ordered another one already. Even if no one else could tell I'd be able to see the damage. But I was going to try some laser engraving and now I can do a test run on this bungled up stock.

Cowboy T
07-20-2012, 7:45 AM
Hopefully you can get that riflestock fixed up well. The results of others look encouraging.

But at least you had the good sense to load up God's True Round, the .45 Colt! A hundred forty years (original development in 1872, acceptance by US Army in 1873) and still goin' strong!

gatesbox
07-20-2012, 9:01 AM
But at least you had the good sense to load up God's True Round, the .45 Colt! A hundred forty years (original development in 1872, acceptance by US Army in 1873) and still goin' strong!

There should be a T-shirt, "45 Colt, ending all caliber debates since 1872."

I have had that new Starline Brass for about 5 months, was excited to need a distraction. Am trying to get stocked up so I don't miss any SASS shoots just belcause I didn't have time to reload.

gunnerstuff
07-20-2012, 9:22 AM
+1 on the 45 colt :)

As far as the stock, I would use a 1 to 1 mixture of wood glue and water. This is thin enough to go into all the cracks. Let it penetrate for several minutes. Wipe all excess glue with a damp rag. Then clamp the wood down. Wait 24 - 48 hours. Afterwards, if needed, some light sanding or stain. This should repair it to nearly invisible.

blockfort
07-20-2012, 9:43 AM
The inside of that stock looks like something from Ikea. It's not solid?

gatesbox
07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
It is solid walnut. As it was an ADL stock the thickness between the bottom of the mag well is very thin and is located very close to the forward escutcheon. I was placing a dowel into the holes so that I could fill and then re-bore larger holes for the pillars. I was dumb and had only planned on using about a 1/2 inch of dowel, but then ended up pounding about an inch through the stock, knocking out the escutcheon. It was a real lapse in planning and adhering to instructions.

klewan
07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Is Remington still selling walnut stocks? I've got a Varmint Special, 1994 vintage. Last year for walnut, gloss lacquer finish, looks like it should be a conference table in the Pentagon...

Laminated and then plastic stocks ever since. Work better than the wood, but not as pretty.

gatesbox
07-20-2012, 2:14 PM
Numrich sells new walnut monte Carlo stocks with the OG two piece Remington plate.