PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 1000 Fix

BACKTOSHOOTING
07-19-2012, 8:35 PM
I'm new to reloading and purchased a Lee Pro 1000 compleate set up in 9mm and 45acp and had problems with the Pro powder return chain set continualy breaking and tried the picture frame cable fix and kept breaking that also. :mad:

Also on this machine the spring on the end of that chain pushes the shell plate assy up to clear the primmer shaft so in can rotate.

So i sat and looked at it and and realized :D I can make this work right :D

To start with there is a threaded hole on the front left side under the disscharge chute and thought I can put a stock Glock 21 recoil spring in there and cut the plastic shaft on it to push the shell plate assy up so i cut the Glock recoil spring small end off the shaft and kept cutting the spring and checking the clearance till i was satisfied that it woud clear the primmer pin and it fit perfectly and works great. You can leave the plastic shaft long as it sits inside the threaded hole of the press.

Now to fix the pro powder measure i got a spring thats about 5" or 6" or so long that streaches preety far [was off a plate dissplay rack that mounts on a wall] and attached it to the hole where the chain used to go up thru and to the arm of the powder measure with a pice of stiff wire so it will return to the closed position after charging the shell. It works great now and cant break.

Hope this helps someone else, Heres some picks i took to help show it all.

JNunez23
07-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice work.

MrNiceGuy
07-19-2012, 10:13 PM
You sir are a genius! :clap:

CalTeacher
07-19-2012, 10:15 PM
You could have just provided more slack for the chain, but nice handiwork nonetheless.

Cowboy T
07-20-2012, 7:17 AM
Hey, that's a slick fix, especially that bit with the 5" spring. Those are easier to find than a small bungee cord. Thanks!

klewan
07-20-2012, 9:26 AM
How did you manage to break the bead chain? It's a fixed, maximum, dimension between the lever on the powder measure and the anchor on the press frame. If the chain is a little longer than that dimension, how could you snap it, and a picture frame cable as well????? Could you explain what's happening when you snap a cable that could probably hold a 100#s plus, I'd really like to know how you do that.....

17 years on the bead chain that came with the press here. And it's the Loadmaster, you know, the one the mouthbreathers on Midway give one star because they can't give it none.

BACKTOSHOOTING
07-20-2012, 9:43 AM
How did you manage to break the bead chain? It's a fixed, maximum, dimension between the lever on the powder measure and the anchor on the press frame. If the chain is a little longer than that dimension, how could you snap it, and a picture frame cable as well????? Could you explain what's happening when you snap a cable that could probably hold a 100#s plus, I'd really like to know how you do that.....

17 years on the bead chain that came with the press here. And it's the Loadmaster, you know, the one the mouthbreathers on Midway give one star because they can't give it none.

I dont know, but i along with lots of others have snapped the chain and cable, So hopefully this repair should fix my problem

klewan
07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I dont know, but i along with lots of others have snapped the chain and cable, So hopefully this repair should fix my problem

Please, put the chain back on and watch what you're doing.

I went out and looked at my LM, I think you would break the pot metal bracket the powder measure lever pivots in. That's a lot weaker than a steel cable. I can't see how you break it, you have to be getting something tangled into the chain/cable to shorten it and snap it. But what?

Try this; put some tubing over the chain. Something soft and flexible, maybe that will keep the chain from snagging on whatever it is.

Another thought; do you have the chain installed correctly? If you have a ton of slop it might be able to get caught on something. It's only a couple of links longer than tight...

I'd do all this myself, but I don't have an issue breaking it. I used to look at the Loadmaster zone web site, but everybody had these off the wall fixes for problems that I never saw. Crimped primers were the only problem I ever had with my LM. Took a little bit of time to figure out it was the brass and not the machine at fault.

Please give it a try, I'm really curious how this happens....

stilly
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Maybe he just had a defective chain... Coated with lead paint from HK and leaking mercury...

Cowboy T
07-20-2012, 7:10 PM
I've broken the chain before, twice. Both times, yes, it was my fault. But I found it kinda easy to do, just the same. The real remedy is to simply be more careful, because, true, that chain should never break if one's doing things right. But let's face it, we're humans.

Note that I haven't broken the chain in well over 20,000 rounds. However, I still like that idea of the spring. More durability, while still doing things right, is never, ever a bad thing. As mentioned previously, I like his fix.

Don the savage
07-21-2012, 11:57 AM
I have 2 lee pros, my 9mm setup never had an issue with the chain, the 45 i broke the chain 3 times during setup. I think some of the chains are crap. Since i bought a new chain from lowes i havent had any issues.