PDA

View Full Version : New Shooter .45 ACP Recommendation

banpreso
07-19-2012, 2:41 PM
I'm a new shooter and I'm looking for 500 rounds of .45 ACP to practice with at the range initially. What's a good brand/ vendor to go with for cheap practice ammo at the range? I did some research and see a deal for Tula for $139. Is Tula decent enough or should I go with something more expensive?

Thanks!

bandook
07-19-2012, 4:24 PM
Tula is just fine for plinking...

NiteQwill
07-19-2012, 6:11 PM
Shoot what works in your gun and with your wallet.

Tula is fine ammo.

Reloading .45 is always a good idea if you get around to it. The savings is significant when looking at other rounds.

banpreso
07-19-2012, 7:32 PM
I hear stuff about it's not good using steel case ammo, and something about tula quality issues. Are those valid?

Thanks

XDRoX
07-19-2012, 8:10 PM
Theoritically steel cases will be harder on your ejector than brass. But for the money you'll save you can buy a dozen extra ejectors just in case yours ever does wear out :D

I don't shoot steel cases in pistol because I reload but I see no practical reason not to. I do shoot steel in 7.62x39 exclusively and have never had a problem.

banpreso
07-19-2012, 8:59 PM
thanks! good to know

Twiggz
07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Just FYI, some ranges won't let you shoot steel case ammo. You might want to call the local ranges before you buy.

banpreso
07-19-2012, 11:07 PM
i think i'll just go with brass and save it. so far i'm thinking winchester

db42
07-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Freedom Munitions - Blaster Training Ammo (range ammo)

http://www.freedommunitions.com/45-Auto-230-gr-RN-B-p/b45f230r.htm

500 rounds. $142.50 plus shipping. It will probably end up around $160 shipped. You will not find a better price.

banpreso
07-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Freedom Munitions - Blaster Training Ammo (range ammo)

http://www.freedommunitions.com/45-Auto-230-gr-RN-B-p/b45f230r.htm

500 rounds. $142.50 plus shipping. It will probably end up around $160 shipped. You will not find a better price.

thanks! looks like that might be the ticket!

JonM
07-20-2012, 2:01 AM
Yea check out those freedom munitions reloads. I'd rather shoot brass cased commercial reloads than steel cased new ammo. Keep in mind that brass cases are worth something and that their value offsets the price difference from buying steel. The first 1000 rounds for 9mm I shot were brown bear steel cased ammo. They shot fine but I got alot of crap at the range from the guys who sweep up brass. After that I started buying brass cased reloads from gunshows for even less than the steel cased stuff. I picked it all up even though I didn't reload at the time. I started doing the same thing when I got into 45acp. Two years and thousands of rounds later I have started reloading and have gotten a huge head start on the brass. So yea- shoot brass and save it, especially 45. 45 is one of the easiest pistol rounds to reload because it is big and low pressure, and it is also one of the pistol calibers you save the most on by reloading. You can easily make 45 for less than ten dollars a box- even down to the six or seven dollar a box mark when using lead bullets and bulk components. So shoot brass cased ammo, horde your cases (and other people's also if they are cool with it) and think about getting into reloading sometime in the future. Even if you decide not to reload your brass is worth money- you can actually sell it here on the ammo and reloading sales forum.

gunprofit
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Tula Ammo SUCKS !!!! Also, Winchester "Q" loads known as the "White Box" ammo SUCKS as well. I would recommend S&B, Federal or Magtech ammo.

Southpaw45
07-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Tula Ammo SUCKS !!!! Also, Winchester "Q" loads known as the "White Box" ammo SUCKS as well. I would recommend S&B, Federal or Magtech ammo.

Can you touch on the subject why this ammo sucks? Especially the WWB stuff. I never seen Tula ammo being used but seen thousands of WWB used and didnt witness any problems except for a dirty gun but thats got to be accepted. After all hes only asking about "cheap practice ammo"...

xrMike
07-22-2012, 2:01 PM
I like to shoot my club's idpa-style matches with steel cased because I wasn't even getting half my brass back from all the guys who pounce on the stuff. Now it doesn't matter.