PDA

View Full Version : LOC handguns at Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP?

pMcW
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I was walking the waterfall overlook trail at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park today. While there, I encountered at least three biker types on the trail. Each of them had what appeared to be handguns, and extra mags, openly carried in thigh holsters. They seemed to be laughing privately amongst themselves, at a European tourist who seemed to be generally regarding them with disdain.

What was I seeing?

choprzrul
07-19-2012, 6:08 AM
Aliens?

Peyote side effects?

Jack Bauer?

hammerhead_77
07-19-2012, 7:20 AM
fishing expedition?

HowardW56
07-19-2012, 7:27 AM
I was walking the waterfall overlook trail at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park today. While there, I encountered at least three biker types on the trail. Each of them had what appeared to be handguns, and extra mags, openly carried in thigh holsters. They seemed to be laughing privately amongst themselves, at a European tourist who seemed to be generally regarding them with disdain.

What was I seeing?

DEA agents? I bumped into a group of armed grungy guys coming off of an elevator in a building at 3rd & Figueroa in Los Angeles... I asked the security guard in the lobby, who was unconcerned, who they were. He told me DEA, the building has many federal offices in it...

SanPedroShooter
07-19-2012, 8:12 AM
Yeah, or the Sherriffs office drug task force, those guys wear drop leg holsters and grub about in the wilderness with very little ID if I remember right. They are looking for pot grows and stuff, when I lived in Oregon, their task force looked like the damn Green Berets... All fatigues, no ID, booney hats etc...

Plenty of alphabet soup agencys out there. What the hell is a Julia Pfeiffer Burns?

I see you are on the coast, I live in on a rocky section of shorline south of LA and these guys are up to something lately. Boats of all agencys patrolling right along the shore, helo flyovers, Customs/BP massed at starbucks for coffee late at night. Park Rangers and Sherriffs where you dont usually see them. Sometimes boats wash up on the shore, or at the bottom of the cliffs and every cop agency from San Pedro to Seattle shows up to poke around and take a look. Most of them without uniforms, but with exposed guns and occasionaly a small badge on the belt or an agency T-shirt, more than a few drop leg holsters.

HowardW56
07-19-2012, 8:25 AM
I see you are on the coast, I live in on a rocky section of shorline south of LA and these guys are up to something lately. Boats of all agencys patrolling right along the shore, helo flyovers, Customs/BP massed at starbucks for coffee late at night. Park Rangers and Sherriffs where you dont usually see them. Sometimes boats wash up on the shore, or at the bottom of the cliffs and every cop agency from San Pedro to Seattle shows up to poke around and take a look. Most of them without uniforms, but with exposed guns and occasionaly a small badge on the belt or an agency T-shirt, more than a few drop leg holsters.

I've noticed some of the small Coast Guard & sheriff's boats up & down the coast at times and in areas where they aren't usually seen....

stix213
07-19-2012, 8:49 AM
Aliens?

Peyote side effects?

Jack Bauer?

http://www.orangepower.com/attachments/im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens-jpg.11020/

SanPedroShooter
07-19-2012, 9:08 AM
I've noticed some of the small Coast Guard & sheriff's boats up & down the coast at times and in areas where they aren't usually seen....

Your in Torrance? I didnt know that.

I think they were running some training or something, its slacked off a bit, but they were busy as hell for awhile.

My wife runs the starbucks in PV at the bottom Hawthorne and PVDS, over by Trump and Terranea and even she noticed the amount of odd looking cops in there for a week or so. Her store is right down the road from the Sheriffs station too. She even asked me about guys in drop leg holsters....

MudCamper
07-19-2012, 9:59 AM
Per 14 CCR s 4313 no operable firearms are allowed in California State Parks. According to a Superintendent of Public Safety Services with California State Parks, Peace Officers and citizens with LTC are exempted.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Ok, so are cops or federal agents allowed to walk around displaying weapons if they don't have any visable form of ID? How exactly are we supposed to know that they are legally carrying those firearms? Why don't they get busted for carrying when people can't readily identify them?

-Mb

paul0660
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Ok, so are cops or federal agents allowed to walk around displaying weapons if they don't have any visable form of ID? How exactly are we supposed to know that they are legally carrying those firearms? Why don't they get busted or shot for carrying when people can't readily identify them?

-Mb

My question too. I haven't seen a plainclothes with an exposed weapon, without id, as far as I can recall.

pMcW
07-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah, or the Sherriffs office drug task force, those guys wear drop leg holsters and grub about in the wilderness with very little ID if I remember right. They are looking for pot grows and stuff, when I lived in Oregon, their task force looked like the damn Green Berets... All fatigues, no ID, booney hats etc...

They were wearing biker gear. The patches on the back of their jackets said "BORN AGAIN - THE WAY", which seems to be related to this (http://www.bornagainmm.com/).

Plenty of alphabet soup agencys out there. What the hell is a Julia Pfeiffer Burns?

A state park (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=578) along the coast south of Big Sur.

The trail we were on is narrow half mile trail out to a little terrace that overlooks a cove with a waterfall that drains into it. These guys (about three of them) passed me on the trail at arm's length. Some of them had basic cameras and stuff, like they were doing the tourist thing. They seemed to have one or more girlfriends (unarmed) with them. After they left, we heard (but could not see) a bunch of bike start up and depart loudly, which I assume was them taking off.

Per 14 CCR s 4313 no operable firearms are allowed in California State Parks. According to a Superintendent of Public Safety Services with California State Parks, Peace Officers and citizens with LTC are exempted.

So, if they had LTC, could they then open carry?

dantodd
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
So, if they had LTC, could they then open carry?

no.

hammerhead_77
07-19-2012, 1:45 PM
I would like to amend my previous statement...

You most likely saw people breaking the law. They were openly carrying what were almost certainly loaded firearms. Handguns, no less.

And no one died... No blood in the streets, and the children are as safe and under-educated as ever.

Also proves gun laws don't stop people from carrying guns...

BP22
07-19-2012, 2:56 PM
You most likely saw people breaking the law. They were openly carrying what were almost certainly loaded firearms. Handguns, no less.

And no one died... No blood in the streets, and the children are as safe and under-educated as ever.

For the win!

pMcW
07-19-2012, 3:38 PM

Agreed. I had my CPL, when I lived in WA, and I believe that we should all be able to carry here, at least concealed.

Nevertheless, the situation made me very curious, because they seemed to be so openly flouting the law. These weapons were quite openly displayed, and they seemed to be laughing and joking openly about it.

I overheard guy 1 say: "Smile you're on Candid Camera."
Guy 2: "What?"
Guy 1: "Oh haha, that guy in the red shirt, was taking our picture..."

I glanced over and saw the guy in the red shirt, sitting on a nearby bench. He was shaking his head with a disapproving look on his face. He shook his head again when the third guy walked past him. When I saw his look, I started analyzing my own initial reactions of surprise and alarm, which soon turned to basic jealousy. :o

So, I just thought I would relate the story and ask if anyone here knew something that I didn't here. This place is remote, but there must be rangers nearby, at the campground. And it is a usually a rather crowded place... just seems like asking for the Ranger to show up with his or her carbine.

mud99
07-19-2012, 4:27 PM
Honestly, based on the whole "motorcycle ministry" connection, it wouldn't suprise me if they were carrying fake guns. I mean, they are basically driving down the road with them on.

Attracting that much attention with visible guns showing, they surely would have been stopped by LEO already.

Scratch that, I changed my mind, they are from Texas, probably just ignorant.

HowardW56
07-19-2012, 5:11 PM
My question too. I haven't seen a plainclothes with an exposed weapon, without id, as far as I can recall.

Thats why I suggested DEA... Locals usually wear visible badge...

SanPedroShooter
07-20-2012, 4:15 AM
Maybe they dont know its illegl yet. I am sure there a people out that dont. Maybe they were from a free state?

Flopper
07-21-2012, 2:02 PM
Scratch that, I changed my mind, they are from Texas, probably just ignorant.

Open carry is not legal in TX.

Funny how the word ignorant gets thrown around most by the most ignorant.

mud99
07-21-2012, 2:34 PM
So, are you implying that I am ignorant?

Open carry is not legal in TX.

Flopper
07-21-2012, 2:51 PM
So, are you implying that I am ignorant?

Now you're just being silly.

Anchors
07-21-2012, 8:25 PM
Open carry of handguns is not legal in TX.

Fixed.
Openly displaying long guns is not illegal. There's many a rifle rack 'round those parts..