PDA

View Full Version : My bows over the years . . .

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 1:54 PM
How things have changed. I spent more time shooting my old fiberglass re-curve as a kid than any of its successors. I wonder where it is today??? :confused:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/VFX_man/Snapbucket/DD7AA8C0.jpg

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2012, 2:05 PM
Nice restrospective.

I had a Bear in Jr. High that looked exactly like your #2.

I just got a new bow after years away, here it is before I set it up

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k634/citadelgrad871/photobucket-1841-1341976339578.jpg

Last night I put a Spot Hogg real deal 5 pin and whisker biscuit on it.

Still need to get some arrows....

mif_slim
07-18-2012, 3:20 PM
I'll post a new pic of my bow collection...I think I can start a archery proshops!! Lol

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-18-2012, 3:25 PM
Last night I put a Spot Hogg real deal 5 pin and whisker biscuit on it.

Still need to get some arrows....

If you roll with a whisker biscuit, might think about buying an arrow fletching tool, you'll need it. After about 15-20 passes, your fletchings will start to ripple.

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 3:44 PM
If you roll with a whisker biscuit, might think about buying an arrow fletching tool, you'll need it. After about 15-20 passes, your fletchings will start to ripple.

I picked-up the short fletchings, will those ripple as well? What's your recommendation - if not the Whisker Biscuit?

Thanks!

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2012, 4:03 PM
I picked-up the short fletchings, will those ripple as well? What's your recommendation - if not the Whisker Biscuit?

Thanks!

Yeah, ditto. My understanding is it's not a target type rest, but is bulletproof and will keep an arrow knocked, good for hunting. I have no heard of fletch issues.

d4v0s
07-18-2012, 4:16 PM
If the short ones you got are blazers they should do well in a biscuit. For the money I would consider the nap 360 if you really like the way biscuits work. I just put a nap apache on my rytera this past weekend and a 5 pin trophy ridge sight. Now it's time to paper tune after work ha ha ha

jmonte35
07-18-2012, 4:50 PM

Thanks!

The biscuit will be fine for your arrows and your fletchings. I used a whisker for years and NEVER once changed a fletching because of the biscuit and shot thousands of arrows threw it......in fact I had to change the whisker biscuit because it got so wore out. I wouldn't use the spin type flething with them....just straight blazers.

Accuracy isn't an issue unless you have shooting/tuning issues.....the drop aways are more forgiving for people that torque/grab their bows. I shot very accurate out to 60+ yds with my old bows that had whisker biscuits.....

That being said I have switched to a QAD hd full capture drop away. Because my Mathews came with it....I like it but that doesn't mean the good old whisker biscuit isn't good.

RUSTY- you must have had a tuning issue or something....My entire family shoots biscuits and if we had an issue like every 15-20 arrows there's no way we would keep em. Not trying to offend you but something is seriously wrong with your set-up if your damaging fletchings like that.

wjc
07-18-2012, 4:52 PM
I've got 3 recurves and one longbow.

Still have my first...50# Bear Grizzly.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-18-2012, 9:17 PM
I don't think the biscuit is to hard on short fletchings. I used one for awhile, then switched to a QAD prohunter or something like that. Tightened my groups up quite a bit at longer distances.

mif_slim
07-18-2012, 9:47 PM
WB will not mess up your arrow fletching. I shot WB when they first came out and had literally a few thousand arrows thru it and had no problems.

They said its not accurate but we were making 70-100 yard shots with WB and able to hit soda cans.

IrishPirate
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
I just looked at that EXACT same Bear today at Sportsman's Warehouse.....for some reason I've decided that I need another hobby to occupy all my time and take up more of my money. Seeing the amazing increase in Bow technology in the last 20 years is awesome! i remember the first junior long bow i used in Boy Scouts, and the first compound bow too...basically a long bow with pulleys attached. Absolutely astonishing how they have improved bows!! (now i know i really need to get one...:D )

spectr17
07-18-2012, 10:24 PM
What is the 3rd bow from left? Looks like an Allen Speedster.

VFX_man
07-19-2012, 7:30 AM
What is the 3rd bow from left? Looks like an Allen Speedster.

Since the first 3 bows from the left are no longer in my possession . . . Who knows were mom and dad have number 1 stashed - number 2 and 3 were stolen years ago :(

I had to find Internet images from memory. But, that being said, I am pretty sure on all of them.

The number 2 from the left re-curve was my dad's old Bear that he bought used in the 60's. And this is the source of the photo. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120950257986?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The 3rd from the left a photo of my Polar Bear II - sans the plastic cup and foam rubber arrow holder we had made.

The right one is a stock photo of my new PSE stinger 3G. http://www.huntersfriend.com/2012_PSE_Stinger_3G/best_compound_bow_for_the_money.htm

Re: The Stinger: Have already replaced the sight and switched out the stabilizer for a Limbsaver Windjammer system. Off to the range soon!

Cheers!

Shoot-it
07-22-2012, 6:25 PM
Does any on still use truglo brite site or are they old technology.Why are they not as good as spot hoggs ?

Citadelgrad87
07-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Does any on still use truglo brite site or are they old technology.Why are they not as good as spot hoggs ?

Sure, they are still used, my local store has them right next to the Hoggs. Fairly comperable in price between the higer end tru glos and the entry level Hoggs.