PDA

View Full Version : backup firearm when bow hunting?

RuggedJay
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Is it legal to carry a backup firearm for when bowhunting for defense against bears, lions?

StratORcaster
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
No.

mcmikeblues7
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
only during the regular deer season. not during bow season

180ls1
07-18-2012, 1:22 PM
sure it perfectly legal, but it depends what and where your hunting.

portegee
07-18-2012, 2:10 PM
^^
During archery only for deer season you can not have a firearm on your person. Now a non hunting friend who happens to be hicking with you can have a firearm on them for self protection.

180ls1
07-18-2012, 2:54 PM
Is he talking about deer hunting or are we all just assuming that? Not trying to be a ***** just trying to keep things clear. Its perfectly legal to carry a piston on you when bow hunting for hogs coyotes and other things.

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2012, 3:01 PM
Is he talking about deer hunting or are we all just assuming that? Not trying to be a ***** just trying to keep things clear. Its perfectly legal to carry a piston on you when bow hunting for hogs coyotes and other things.

This is what I would want a backup for, the Hog I shot with a rifle was charging at the time. I would not be comfortable with "only" a bow.

mif_slim
07-18-2012, 3:18 PM
What backup weapon for bow??

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-18-2012, 3:27 PM
during archery only seasons, no firearms allowed.

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 3:32 PM
Is it legal to carry a backup firearm for when bowhunting for defense against bears, lions?

Depends on your location AND the type of tag you are hunting under and the game you are pursing.

For insistence: Lake Sonoma http://www.spn.usace.army.mil/lake_sonoma/hunting_information.html
"Hunters may not possess a firearm (including a sidearm) while in the field." It's an archery or cross-bow only hunting area for wild pigs or deer.

Also: Fort Hunter Liggett - see below for last week hunting options:
4. Hunt Areas open for hunting Saturday, July 14, 2012 through
Sunday July 15, 2012 are as follows:

Archery Only: 1, 4, 8, 11, 13B, 14
General Weapons: NONE
Archery, Muzzleloader, Birdshot: NONE
Archery, Shotgun, Muzzleloader: 13E

So based on this weeks schedule, no side arms are allowed. Unless it was a muzzleloader sidearm and you were in zone 13E - BUT you need condor safe ammo for it and I have not seen a source for it. If it was open and you WERE in a General Weapons zone, you could have a sidearm if you were bow hunting. FYI I'm about 95% sure I had a lion pass within 20 yards of me the last time I was there - Was in a General Weapon zone, so I had the .45ACP in the holster and ready to go.

Hope this adds mud to the water ;)

Cheers!

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 3:34 PM
What backup weapon for bow??

http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Awesome-K-nex-Mini-Bow/ :devil: