PDA

View Full Version : Another noob 870 question..

Flowmini98
07-18-2012, 7:57 AM
So ive been doing some reading on here and now I think I have just confused myself even further...
I just picked up a Rem870 7 shot synthetic stock w/18" barrel and a single bead front sight. It was my understanding that this gun should have come with a smooth bore.
But since im in the middle of my 10 day wait I cant grab it to check, so here I sit questioning myself.
Whats the best way for me to check to be sure thats what ive got?

Also I picked up a box of 100 Federal 2.75"/ 7.5 and some 00 Rem buckshot from Walmart to try through my gun when I pick it up any specific type of "slug" I should try?

WDE91
07-18-2012, 7:58 AM
yes its a smooth bore

Flowmini98
07-18-2012, 9:11 AM
yes its a smooth bore

Is the single bead front sight one of the easiest indicators of a smooth bore? That was my understanding

Barbarossa
07-18-2012, 9:14 AM
taking the barrel off and looking down it is the best way. (unloaded!)

aippi
07-18-2012, 9:14 AM
Fully rifled barrels either have rifle sights or a cantilever mount. So yes, if a remington barrel has a bead sight it is a smooth bore.

Flowmini98
07-18-2012, 9:21 AM
Fully rifled barrels either have rifle sights or a cantilever mount. So yes, if a remington barrel has a bead sight it is a smooth bore.

Thanks. Someone had posted a link to some of your shotgun info. Your wealth of knowledge is great!

JON KARGATHALON
07-18-2012, 9:27 AM
i have the exact same 870 and yes its a smoothbore.:)

Plisk
07-18-2012, 9:31 AM
Rifled barrels from Remington are a kind of specialty. You're not going to find a factory configured model with a large capacity tube running a rifle slug barrel. You'll typically find it one with it's own scope rail mounted to the barrel with a low capacity (to comply with hunting law) tube and sometimes a camouflage application. What you purchased and described is your basic tactical/PD style set-up it is defiantly a smoothbore.

As for types of slugs to try, there isn't too much variation out there to try. Your biggest differences is low-recoil, or not low-recoil and if it's not marked as such you need to look at the velocity rating of the round displayed on the box. 1200 FPS is low-recoil, 1600 FPS is full load. If it's a little off in either direction, it will be close to one. Just grab a little of each and get a feel for what works for you.

Also remember, different brands and different loads will pattern differently out of your barrel. Slugs flying at different speeds will require different holds at distance. So when you really start to learn YOUR gun, be consistent with the ammo you're using so you're hitting as consistently as possible.

CK_32
07-18-2012, 9:48 AM
The one you have should be a smooth bore.. Like most said above the give always are the bead site vs rifle/scope rail and the 100% way to tell is take the barrel off and look down it.

If it has lines running down it it's a rifles (basically looks like any other typical gun barrel) if it's smooth and looks like a pipe with nothing but smooth glass it's a smooth.

And did you have a smooth bore shoot RIFLED SLUGS.. Due to no rifling to spin the slug buying rifled slugs will have grooves on the slug to spin it self.. I did get confused on that when first tying to buy slugs.. But rifled slugs are for smooth barrels.

And I doubt it but if you has a threaded choke do not shoot slugs unless you know you have one that can shoot them.. I don't know which cal but I'm sure someone else around here can.. Too lazy to google right now. But remember if you have a screw in choke be sure it can or you'll have a pipe bomb barrel soon enough. But again I don't think that model comes with a threaded joke but always be sure before shooting slugs.

Flowmini98
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys

wicked jesster
07-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the choke will thread inside the end of the barrel and will be pretty close to flush at the end. these should be finger tight and you can see the choke if you look at the end of the barrel.

JON KARGATHALON
07-18-2012, 2:47 PM
I imagine that you bought the large capacity 870 for another HD weapon, and Target shooting/plinking? If so, Let me tell you those factory synthetic stocks are so very unforgiving to the shoulder pocket. You definutely want to get a limbsaver stock pad, or you can get a whole new stock, I got a Blackhawk Knoxx spec ops 2 for under 100 bucks at www.emergencyresponderproducts.com. It is the generation 2, that usually msrp's for $139.99 mine was 95$

wicked jesster
07-18-2012, 8:32 PM
will the standard limb saver for an 870 fit the blackhawk knoxx stock?

CK_32
07-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Don't go the knoxx stock rout. If you know how to properly hold and shoulders a shotgun the 870 factory stock is actually really forgiving. And with their supercell pad available should be plenty soft.. If you can't handle the kick of a shot gun buy a AR15..

All the knoxx does it send the force up into your face. Think it's a great idea but it's not the end all solution everyone wants it to be. Learn how to properly hold and shoot your shot gun and you'll hold up. Yea after 200 shots of buck its going to be tender but so will it with the knoxx stock..

Just stock to the factory stock maybe buy the thicker recoil pad for it and learn to man up and handle it. It's a shot gun they aren't meant to shoot like a 22. And that's why they invented low recoil stuff.

car15
07-19-2012, 2:43 AM
I haven't tried the Magpul Moe stock but I really love the Mesa Tactical Urbino. The shorter length and pad makes all the difference in the world. Really try them out if you can.

aippi
07-19-2012, 9:39 AM
[QUOTE=CK_32;8957899]Don't go the knoxx stock rout. All the knoxx does it send the force up into your face. Think it's a great idea but it's not the end all solution everyone wants it to be. Learn how to properly hold and shoot your shot gun and you'll hold up. Yea after 200 shots of buck its going to be tender but so will it with the knoxx stock..

The above post is what I like to call "WRONG". This kind of mess comes from people who don't know how to use the SpecOps stocK. Think about this. If that statement was true the stock would not be the great sucess it is and Blawk Hawk would not have bought Knoxx out for many Millions of dollars. Do some of you even think about what you Post?

Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Breaking in the 870" and read on that page how to shoot recoil reducing stock. Tens of thousands of shooters have these stocks and love them. Only a few who don't even bother to read the directions or master the stock have any issue.

JON KARGATHALON
07-19-2012, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=CK_32;8957899]Don't go the knoxx stock rout. All the knoxx does it send the force up into your face. Think it's a great idea but it's not the end all solution everyone wants it to be. Learn how to properly hold and shoot your shot gun and you'll hold up. Yea after 200 shots of buck its going to be tender but so will it with the knoxx stock..

The above post is what I like to call "WRONG". This kind of mess comes from people who don't know how to use the SpecOps stocK. Think about this. If that statement was true the stock would not be the great sucess it is and Blawk Hawk would not have bought Knoxx out for many Millions of dollars. Do some of you even think about what you Post?

Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Breaking in the 870" and read on that page how to shoot recoil reducing stock. Tens of thousands of shooters have these stocks and love them. Only a few who don't even bother to read the directions or master the stock have any issue.

Thank you sir, I was going to say... I like the regular stocks as well as the knoxx stocks, but i just PREFER the knoxx stock. its a matter of preference. But alas, no matter where you go, there will allways be knoxx haters:p And to answer an earlier post, The recoil pad on the knoxx stock is a limbsaver pad pretty much, at least its about as soft as one :)

CK_32
07-19-2012, 10:43 AM
How is my above post wrong?? People act like if you get the stock it shoots like a 22. It doesn't.. It's still a 12g push and is just displaced differently than a normal stock. Like I said its not the END ALL stock.. Yea it helps obviously but people uptake that stock so much it's retarded..

I didn't get to use mine when I had it but I have used one on my buddys 870 a while bsck when they first came out and I shot a few shots and a few times it did get me in the face and the few times it didn't it was awkward for me but I still thought it was cool.. My views changed just reciently.. There is nothing wrong with me telling the OP to try and learn how to properly shoot and hold a shotgun before going and buying all this other crap to handicap improper form on a shot gun.

And the same could be said for half the users of the knoxx stock they probably don't know not to properly hold or mount a factory stock.. All I was saying was the knoxx doesn't shoot like a 22.. If anything it turn it into a 20 guage at best just displaces the force else where not just your shoulder. And that he should so should everyone learn how to shoot a classic shotgun stock before blaming the gun and saying its junk..

870 stocks are actually quite softer than other manufactures stocks and with the supercell recoil pad it does help and ton with oh having to spend $120 on a new stock. There is nothing wrong wih that advice given just because you don't agree and like the Blackhawk stock doesn't mean he must get one. I'm just saying learn the basic fundamentals of a shotgun which most don't know basic fundamentals of half the guns they own and go out buying these types of things and spreading word on how epic it is.

And any thing especially a stock I should have to read instructions on how to use itsnt for me especially for a HD weapon..

Blame the Indian not the arrow.

CK_32
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Thank you sir, I was going to say... I like the regular stocks as well as the knoxx stocks, but i just PREFER the knoxx stock. its a matter of preference. But alas, no matter where you go, there will allways be knoxx haters:p And to answer an earlier post, The recoil pad on the knoxx stock is a limbsaver pad pretty much, at least its about as soft as one :)

No hate really I just don't like when people can't use something properly then assume its the gun and need to fix it when it's the user 90% of the time and spread the you must have this or else your guns junk bs. I'm just stressing how 870 stocks are semi soft compared to others and to learn shotgun basics.. Having proper form over improper makes the world of difference with felt recoil. That is all.. Like above this they are cool and tread idea but there are some drawbacks.. But some people can't handle a bad word of their products or things they use..

Bet there are plenty of products I love to use you guys probably hate. Oh well works for me and what i have use for it doesn't ruin my day.

JON KARGATHALON
07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
No hate really I just don't like when people can't use something properly then assume its the gun and need to fix it when it's the user 90% of the time and spread the you must have this or else your guns junk bs. I'm just stressing how 870 stocks are semi soft compared to others and to learn shotgun basics.. Having proper form over improper makes the world of difference with felt recoil. That is all.. Like above this they are cool and tread idea but there are some drawbacks.. But some people can't handle a bad word of their products or things they use..

Bet there are plenty of products I love to use you guys probably hate. Oh well works for me and what i have use for it doesn't ruin my day.

I understand where you are coming from now. Yeah i was just giving him a suggestion, I tried a few stocks before i went to the gen 2 knoxx stock. I just seem to be more accurate with it myself.

aippi
07-19-2012, 4:21 PM
You stated that all the SpecOps stock does is send the force up into your face. It is right there in black and white and that statement is wrong.

This only happens when you are not using it correctly. Maybe one out of a couple hundred people can't read directions, they don't adjust it properly. Some are even stupid enough ( like nut and fancy or what ever that clowns name is) and think they can put their face right up by the receiver. The directions warn against this. And many do not understand to keep the arm on the forend loose so as not to fight the stock. Let the stock cam back and it not only eats up recoil but helps eliminate muzzle rise. Lock that arm and you are fighting the stock and keeping it from doing as it is designed. Nothing will work right if you don't know how to use it properly.