PDA

View Full Version : Bow pull exercise?

VFX_man
07-17-2012, 9:54 PM
Got to thinking - what kind of exercises can you can do throughout the day (at work/gym) for bow pull strength increase. I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiPwPZ-54NY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Any other recommendations on something you could do sans-bow?

Cheers!

180ls1
07-17-2012, 11:23 PM
bent over rows and pullups are great for the back, you gotta do more then a 1 gallon jug of water unless your draw weight is 5 lbs and your going to hunt flys. I imagine shoulder exercises are great also for keeping the bow steady. So overhead press and dumbbell raises should help quite a bit also.

44fred
07-18-2012, 10:15 AM
How about practicing shooting and pulling your bow string. Sounds elementary but your muscles will eventually develop with plenty of practice.

I started shooting in high school (35+ years ago). When I could finally afford a compound my muscles were already developed from shooting my 65lb recurve. The let off back then was not that much compared to today's modern compounds. I was a pretty strong guy back then but some much stronger friends of mine could barley pull my compound back, certainly not smoothly.

Practice, practice, practice. You will get sore just like any other workout until those muscles develop.

jmonte35
07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
shoot your bow...

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
How about practicing shooting and pulling your bow string. Sounds elementary but your muscles will eventually develop with plenty of practice.

I started shooting in high school (35+ years ago). When I could finally afford a compound my muscles were already developed from shooting my 65lb recurve. The let off back then was not that much compared to today's modern compounds. I was a pretty strong guy back then but some much stronger friends of mine could barley pull my compound back, certainly not smoothly.

Practice, practice, practice. You will get sore just like any other workout until those muscles develop.

Understand, just looking for other options that will not require me trekking to the range. We are not even allowed to shoot a BB gun or slingshot within our city limits, much less a bow :mad:

Figured if I could find some exercises to incorporate into my lunchtime work-out, I'd get a little ahead. PLUS, If I pulled out a bow while at work in San Francisco . . . I'd have a lot of free . . . in jail ;)

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I just picked up a 60lb compound last week, I had trouble pulling it the first time, but after a week of drawing it 4-10 times a night, it's noticably easier. Just make sure you don't release the string, you get the bonus of the negative rep riding the string forward. I do this every night, and will do so until it's easy.

Also, to aid muscle memory, I draw to my anchor point and hold and aim every time.

jmonte35
07-18-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.bowfit.com/

This is probably the best thing for you.....the gym is good but there really is not replacement for shooting. This is probably the closest thing you can get.

jmonte35
07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
I just picked up a 60lb compound last week, I had trouble pulling it the first time, but after a week of drawing it 4-10 times a night, it's noticably easier. Just make sure you don't release the string, you get the bonus of the negative rep riding the string forward. I do this every night, and will do so until it's easy.

Also, to aid muscle memory, I draw to my anchor point and hold and aim every time.

I have an old bow that I use for bow fishing that I used to do this with....however.....I don't advise anyone to pull back a modern bow without an arrow knocked and at the range. One accidental release and likely wrecked your cams or limbs. I've seen this happen on three seperate occasions.....when people ask to draw my bow I always say sure but never without an arrow nocked and pointed in a safe direction.

theseacow
07-18-2012, 2:01 PM
I usually bust out my shakeweight prior to bow season.

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 2:40 PM
I usually bust out my shakeweight prior to bow season.

no video, didn't happen ;)

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 2:44 PM
http://www.bowfit.com/

This is probably the best thing for you.....the gym is good but there really is not replacement for shooting. This is probably the closest thing you can get.

Thanks, this is very interesting. and gives me some ideas.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-18-2012, 2:50 PM
pushups and pullups, cheap and simple.

OutlawDon
07-18-2012, 3:11 PM
I'd like to add that don't forget the importance of a strong core also.

All physical movements initiates with the core so you don't want that to be your weakest link.

Add some planks, side planks and crunches into your routine.

Just a quick tip from a fitness coach and 3D/field/target archery enthusiast. Cheers!

VFX_man
07-18-2012, 3:21 PM
Add some planks, side planks and crunches into your routine.

Oh joy . . . my FAVORITE part of the workout - now you have justified them . . . I'll have to actually do them. It's Kind of like Math or Typing in school . . . why do I need math and I'm not going to be a secretary - doh, stupid computer programming :rolleyes:

21SF
07-18-2012, 4:26 PM
Steriods

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-18-2012, 4:28 PM
It's Kind of like Math or Typing in school . . . why do I need math and I'm not going to be a secretary - doh, stupid computer programming :rolleyes:
math was the only thing I was good at in school... and the only thing I learned that I still use.

OutlawDon
07-18-2012, 6:42 PM
Oh joy . . . my FAVORITE part of the workout - now you have justified them . . . I'll have to actually do them. It's Kind of like Math or Typing in school . . . why do I need math and I'm not going to be a secretary - doh, stupid computer programming :rolleyes:

:) Good, just get them done, and try to increase the hold period over time as you get stronger.

Trust me, when you are shooting 150-200 shots a day for practice, especially targets that are at a steep angle upward and downward, that strong core will help out to hold your bow and sight pins steady. It's easy shooting at a flat angled target but try shooting down at a target that's 40 degrees and you'll know what I'm talking about. ;)

dirtracer24
07-18-2012, 8:16 PM
I recomend you a nice healthy dose of man the f&%# up. It's a simple procedure. I've got severely out of shape buddies that can draw shoot the ten ring for hours.

Bongos
07-22-2012, 10:45 PM
pushups and pullups, cheap and simple.

Actually in Archery, outside of the biceps, there are back muscle as well as other muscle your body has never used, only the pulling of simulate bow like a recurve or longbow will increase your strenght, I've seen heavily muscle men struggle to pull a 40# recurve bow... You also do not want to over do it as you can pull your shoulder (rotater cup)

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Actually in Archery, outside of the biceps, there are back muscle as well as other muscle your body has never used, only the pulling of simulate bow like a recurve or longbow will increase your strenght, I've seen heavily muscle men struggle to pull a 40# recurve bow... You also do not want to over do it as you can pull your shoulder (rotater cup)

push-ups and pull-ups use those same back muscles and strengthens your core. muscled guys can't draw a bow because they don't do pull/push-ups, they lift weights, which isolates arm and chest muscles. A rowing machine would work better than pull-ups, but I was keeping it simple/cheap.

VFX_man
07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Did make it to the range yesterday and everything went well. Having not shot for 29 years and pulling at a higher weight . . . didn't want to look lame ;)

I'm pulling @ 55 pounds now and want to increase to 60 or 65 . . . and now I have a plan.

Thanks!

OutlawDon
07-23-2012, 1:45 PM
Did make it to the range yesterday and everything went well. Having not shot for 29 years and pulling at a higher weight . . . didn't want to look lame ;)

I'm pulling @ 55 pounds now and want to increase to 60 or 65 . . . and now I have a plan.

Thanks!

Good job!

Are you planning on hunting or just target shooting?

VFX_man
07-23-2012, 1:50 PM
Good job!

Are you planning on hunting or just target shooting?

Hunting: Pig, Deer . . . and Rabbits
Will be doing some field target courses and 3D targets as well.