PDA

View Full Version : Now I feel like a REAL reloader

cindynles
07-17-2012, 8:31 PM
I just got my first order from Powder Valley. I feel like a real reloader now with 8lbs of W231 and 10K primers on my bench :D. I know, I know, its a small order by the standards of the veteran reloaders here, but you got to start someware.

Now if only my orders from Precision Delta and Bear Creek would show up, I ordered every thing on the same day........

XDRoX
07-17-2012, 8:34 PM
Can't go wrong with 8lbs of 231 and 10k primers. Congrats. You're doing it the right way.

BACKTOSHOOTING
07-17-2012, 8:35 PM
Feels great to finally get suppies in and be able to start loading, I started with 2000 primmers and only 2 lbs of powder but it will grow :D

cindynles
07-17-2012, 8:39 PM
I started with 1lbs cans and primers from my LGS. But at $30/lbs for powder and $40/1000 for primers it was time to bite the bullet and buy in bulk.

Javi
07-17-2012, 9:11 PM
Hey, that's a good amount! Your doing a lot better than me:

1-Rock Chucker Supreme kit still in the box :D

I will be starting with 3-1lb bottles of Trail Boss, IMR-something and Win. 231 powder and some sleeves of primers.

joelogic
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
8lb x 7000gr = 56000gr / 4gr load = 14,000 loaded rounds. Its not a small order for pistol.

Wait until you load rifle and you try to convince yourself that ordering 4 8lb jugs to get the hazmat waived is a good idea.

insik
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
For those of you guys ordering this kind of bulk, where do you store the powder?

Full Clip
07-17-2012, 11:37 PM
For those of you guys ordering this kind of bulk, where do you store the powder?

I use a lockable shelved wooden cabinet...

Divernhunter
07-18-2012, 9:07 AM
Large rubber/plastic tub on floor of closet in spare bedroom and another next to one of the gun safes. But there is more than two 4lb jugs. Primers in plastic shoebox size tubs on shelf of same room. No small children at home and can close the door in needed.

Cowboy T
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Good news! Would that more Californians would start reloading. It's our right, and we need to exercise it as part of our defense of it.

cindynles
07-18-2012, 8:03 PM
Woo hoo, the Precision Delta order showed up. It came priority mail and the mail man was not happy. I didn't have the heart to tell him another (heavier) package is on the way from Bear Creek.

Javi
07-18-2012, 9:24 PM
Woo hoo, the Precision Delta order showed up. It came priority mail and the mail man was not happy. I didn't have the heart to tell him another (heavier) package is on the way from Bear Creek.

A bit of heavy lifting here n' there is always good :)

bruceflinch
07-19-2012, 7:24 AM
It's about time, Mr Reloader Lurker..:D
Good Luck!

DarkSoul
07-19-2012, 7:28 AM
Wait until you load rifle and you try to convince yourself that ordering 4 8lb jugs to get the hazmat waived is a good idea.

No kidding, I order all my powders in bulk to save the hazmat fee, so I pretty much always seem to have about 80 lbs of powder around, and the new fully loaded Dillon 650....... I really need help :D

stilly
07-19-2012, 8:08 AM
I just got my first order from Powder Valley. I feel like a real reloader now with 8lbs of W231 and 10K primers on my bench :D. I know, I know, its a small order by the standards of the veteran reloaders here, but you got to start someware.

Now if only my orders from Precision Delta and Bear Creek would show up, I ordered every thing on the same day........

0o0o0o sounds like someone is doing this to save money...

JonM
07-20-2012, 1:25 AM
Reloading does funny things to you it seems. Before reloading ordering 1,000 rounds of 45 on the internet seemed like a big order to me. Now a box of 1,000 large pistol primers seems like a laughably small amount. I have enough components to make about 4,000 45s and 2,000 9mms, as well as another thousand that have already been loaded and yet I am going to a gunshow over the weekend to buy more components. Why? Because with components there is no such thing as enough. I think reloaders are susceptible to competent envy as well. My components for six or seven thousand rounds of pistol ammo is shamefully small compared to some of the guys at my gun club who order bullets by the ten thousand in single calibers to get five percent discounts from bear creek.

Cowboy T
07-20-2012, 6:11 AM
That's one reason casting can help out. I've been known to bang out 6,000 boolits in a single day, with 0.5% rejects. They were the 105gr LSWC's with a Lee 358-105-SWC 6-cavity mould, which is why I could do that kind of production. The 200gr LRNFP's for .45 Colt, I've easily done 2,000 in a day and could've done more. No, it's not because I'm so good at it--not hardly! Rather, it's because the equipment lends itself to it.

Basically, during the wintertime, I take a couple of weekends and bang out my casting needs for the year. Then, throughout the year, tumble lube 'em, let 'em dry, and load 'em up as needed.

Assuming you obey the fire codes, there is no such thing as "too much" brass, primers, powder, bullets, or time to load up and punch paper with 'em.

JonM
07-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Yea, casting really is the ultimate next step. There is one guy who casts his own stuff at the steel shoot I attend but unfortunately he has to buy his lead for a buck a pound from ebay. I live in Berkeley, CA and according to him the wheel weight supply has been dried up for years. You may have mentioned it in one of your video's, (I've seen most of them, they are really excellent and actually helped me get into reloading) but where did you source your lead from when you still lived in the SF area? I've been having a really crazy idea lately but it is probably a bad idea and more trouble than its worth-my roomate recently bought a 27 foot sailboat for just a few thousand dollars. We checked out a few boat auctions at the Berkeley Marina beforehand and several times there were boats that didn't sell even for minimum bid of 500 bucks, even with working inboard motors worth $2000. So what I've been thinking is $500 + 3000 lb lead keel + enormously more work than initially expected = 100,000 45's. Kind of crazy considering I don't even cast yet! And of course keel lead is probably almost pure and 3000 lbs of it would require a few hundred pounds of tin and antimony each- and that would be really expensive i'm sure. If I had a good source of wheelweights nearby I'd start casting for sure, but without a source i'm stuck with hairbrained fantasies like boat keels and such and I keep putting it of. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how you found your wheelweights when you were still in SF. And while I am at it, what hopefully free state do you live in now?

mls204
07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Casting boolits seems cool but since I shoot mostly indoors I use plated bullets. If there was some homebrew way to plate your own casted boolits I'd be all ears.

Javi
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Aren't primers spewing out more lead than bullets do? I think you'd be okay shooting cast stuff in indoor ranges

hkdad
07-20-2012, 10:51 AM
awesome! If you need lead bullets please let me know!! :D

em9sredbeam
07-20-2012, 11:01 AM
You are not a real reloader until you have blown up primers or broken something from normal wear. Like me, I had the bushing on the powder measure come loose, knock out the powder bar and pour a 1/3 of the powder funnel all over the place. Update us when you break something or blow up some primers or something. Then we will accept you as real reloader. :D

PS, Good luck and welcome to the journey.

cindynles
07-20-2012, 12:37 PM
You are not a real reloader until you have blown up primers or broken something from normal wear. Like me, I had the bushing on the powder measure come loose, knock out the powder bar and pour a 1/3 of the powder funnel all over the place. Update us when you break something or blow up some primers or something. Then we will accept you as real reloader. :D

PS, Good luck and welcome to the journey.

Hopefully that never happens. But my wife does think I have officially went off the deep end because of my data collection. Being that I am a Quality Engineer with lots of SPC and 6-Sigma training, I have started trending my data on my laptop. I'm running X-Bar/R charts on each load. My wife saw what I was doing (saw the control charts on my laptop) and just shook head. Now she keeps refering to me as a "Gun Geek".

She tells her friends that only I could take something cool like shooting and nerd it up. Just wait till I get my chrono and I start doing correlation between OAL and velocity :D.

mls204
07-20-2012, 1:15 PM
Aren't primers spewing out more lead than bullets do? I think you'd be okay shooting cast stuff in indoor ranges

really? hmm...now u got me thinking.

my wife probably is gonna hate you for informing me of this.

Javi
07-20-2012, 1:35 PM
She tells her friends that only I could take something cool like shooting and nerd it up.

Hahah! That's great.

Javi
07-20-2012, 1:36 PM
really? hmm...now u got me thinking.

my wife probably is gonna hate you for informing me of this.

Haha hopefully someone here can confirm this but I've read it a few times here in this forum.

mls204
07-20-2012, 1:48 PM
I guess I could use those cap things for the base of the bullet. I forgot what they're called.

I probably won't start casting bullets for a while. I need to look more into it. It's pretty cool though.

Cowboy T
07-20-2012, 6:07 PM
I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how you found your wheelweights when you were still in SF. And while I am at it, what hopefully free state do you live in now?

I got my lead from eBay for a buck a lb. It's still worth it, big time. And yes, I have escaped to Free America, specifically Virginia. You know, "the source of all the crime guns flooding New York?" :rolleyes:

Go ahead and hit eBay if that's what you've got to do. Also check out the vendors on the Cast Boolits forum; they often sell range lead which is also somewhat antimonial. First priority is: GET THY LEAD. And by all means, if you can get those keels as well, do it. There's this myth that you "need" hard lead to perform well in a gun. That's bull-oney. A good general-purpose mix of lead is 50/50 wheel weight alloy and pure lead. That'll get you about BHN 9-10. I've shot near-full-house .44 Magnum pressures with BHN 10.5, and the results were very good. My standard .357 Magnum load uses BHN 10.5 at just below 30,000 PSI, and a shiny, lead-free bore is the result. BHN 7-8 (soft stuff, indeed) works extremely well in .38 Special and .45 Colt.

Have a look at this link when you get a moment. It's one of Glen Fryxell's articles and goes into all this very nicely.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm

cindynles
07-20-2012, 6:46 PM
Missouri Bullet Company sells their version of Lyman #2 casting alloy for $2.07/lb. They sell it in 66lbs pallets with flat rate shipping.

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=92&category=12&secondary=&keywords=

http://www.missouribullet.com/cw3/assets/product_expanded/pallet.jpg

Cowboy T
07-20-2012, 7:09 PM
I find that Lyman #2 is actually too hard for most handgun applications, including Magnum loads, unless you start brushing up against full-house .454 Casull-type pressures, which is about 55,000 PSI. Also, you can get wheel weight alloy for about $1/lb on eBay or the Cast Boolits forum.