PDA

View Full Version : How To Prep A Rabbit (video)

Yugo
07-17-2012, 3:12 PM
Sorry if this is a dupe thought I would share this video has great detail.
IpwhOE74TMA

Jake Plsiken
07-17-2012, 4:44 PM
Awesome man, having grown up never hunting my only experience with this is from the pages of numerous survival and outdoor guides. Nice to actually see it done. Thanks for sharing!

kgcabs
07-17-2012, 4:55 PM
Thanks

bob7122
07-17-2012, 5:15 PM
thanks for posting

tony270
07-17-2012, 5:18 PM
When a rabbit is cleaned like that the fine hairs in the fur are spread throughout the surface of the meat. And the rectum and colin don't come out like that without contaminating some of the meat, and I don't know about squeezing the bladder out.

tony270
07-17-2012, 5:54 PM
It might look more like this in the field. I got an age restricted tag on this video, so you'll need to sign in to see it.

http://youtu.be/omKjKXCa7Ok

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=omKjKXCa7Ok

victor1echo
07-17-2012, 7:08 PM
Cool vid. Boiling for two hours? I wonder how they are smoked?

taperxz
07-17-2012, 7:56 PM
When a rabbit is cleaned like that the fine hairs in the fur are spread throughout the surface of the meat. And the rectum and colin don't come out like that without contaminating some of the meat, and I don't know about squeezing the bladder out.

I agree!

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
07-17-2012, 8:14 PM
Now the hard part, to go to a pet store and get a live one and try it :)

Yugo
07-18-2012, 9:54 AM
omKjKXCa7Ok

Shoot-it
07-18-2012, 1:31 PM
Have you seen the video of the guy that squeezes the guts out of the rabbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7trIwVMYZA&feature=player_embedded

mzhunter
07-18-2012, 2:57 PM
i could clean 10 in the time he cleaned one
come on scrubs get a clue

spectr17
07-18-2012, 5:01 PM
I got an age restricted tag on this video, so you'll need to sign in to see it.

Isn't that a bunch of baloney Tony? YT age restricted the video I made on cleaning a turkey too. WTH is wrong them people? Lil Johnny could use some good ole wholesome learning about reality.

tony270
07-18-2012, 5:23 PM
Yeah Jesse that's a bunch junk. These kind of videos document where we came from and what we are.

daveinwoodland
07-18-2012, 6:06 PM
I've never cleaned one that way, but the one's I've done were put on a spit BBQ after skinning and rinsing. Never boiled one, but the ones on the BBQ have been amazing.

wilit
07-18-2012, 6:23 PM
Cool vid. Boiling for two hours? I wonder how they are smoked?

+1, cool vid. Typical Brits... Boil all the flavor out of food.

PoorRichRichard
07-19-2012, 9:20 AM
Here another good vid for jacks compliments of AZ F&G

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4p9mbiex4#/watch?v=Bw4ZfLBx8p4

I've started using a similar method for cottons as well. I still sometimes do a full skin and gut if I plan to boil the rabbit and use the meat like shredded chicken for tacos, pasta or chili.

Hakoomay
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM

So what happens if some organs "spill" onto the meat? cant clean and eat it anymore?

lordres
07-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Have you seen the method of gutting where they whip the rabbit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1Of1BTo3o

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
So what happens if some organs "spill" onto the meat? cant clean and eat it anymore?

Boil the hell out of it.

tony270
07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
IMO it seems to be much more different cleaning rabbits in the field than having a setup at home, camp, farm or work. I also think it is much different cleaning farm raised rabbits that have been pruged and in an assembly line fashion. So more than likely it will be different squeezing a rifle shot or shotgun rabbit with blood and a full stomach and balder.

Hi Hakoomay;
I would without cross contaminating the uncontaminated meat cut out/off the contaminated portion/s and either discard or boil it outdoors and feed it to my dogs. I consider contaminated meat as not fit to eat.

I know that in dire need we as humans can eat thoroughly cooked rotten meat one time and one time only, the rest needs to be discarded, and fecal contaminated meat is fit to eat if we are starving when it cleaned and cooked thoroughly too.

Hakoomay
07-19-2012, 2:56 PM
so then whats the best method to not contaminate the meat? i saw your video tony and the other one (op) and i guess either way is possible but just be careful not to rupture the organs and poop chute right?

what about diseases and worms? any risks when hunting rabbit?

tony270
07-19-2012, 3:16 PM
Yes, avoid rupturing the intestines and any fecal matter and urine that may exit the animal while cleaning. If the liver has white specks on it or you see obvious growths that shouldn’t be on the meat discard it, if you see worms in meat you can discarded it or cook it thoroughly, if you see botfly lava under the skin the meat is still good. Some of his this info is commonsense and a personal preference, so you have to do what you think is good for you. There are many risk, you could get shot, trip and brake a bone, die of thrist, etc.

so then whats the best method to not contaminate the meat? i saw your video tony and the other one (op) and i guess either way is possible but just be careful not to rupture the organs and poop chute right?

what about diseases and worms? any risks when hunting rabbit?