PDA

View Full Version : stick at 100 or move on out

rstbkt69
07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Finally had a chance to work some shooting in between my unpacking and property cleanup from my recent move. I started with 5 different bullets with 4 different powder loads. I narrowed the loads down to the best group for each bullet during 3 more outings. My next step will be different primers and finally varying up the seating depth till I fin out what The rifle shoots best. I have all 5 bullets down to under 1 inch at 100 and 3 of them, if you take out the one flyer, less than .29 inches. The other 2 are about .75 if you take out the flyer. I'm pretty sure the flyiers are due to a nut lose behind the trigger or maybe even some variation in my loads. What would be your opinion on moving out to 200 yards to finish out this round of load testing. I am waffling between staying at 100 and 200. If I cant keep them all in a tight little group at 100 opening them up to 200 yards isn't going to be better. I keep thinking of working up maybe 3 good rounds and moving out afterwards and keep shooting 100 right now. If they aren't all touching at 100 at 600+ they will be all over the place right

DirtyDave
07-17-2012, 3:52 PM
Split the difference and go 150....:cool:

rstbkt69
07-17-2012, 6:25 PM
LOL that almost makes me want to try it but there isn't a berm at 150 and the range really want you to shoot into a backstop.

Fjold
07-17-2012, 6:39 PM
If they are shooting a 1/2" group at 100 yards the ammunition has the potential to shoot into a 3" group at 600 yards.

rstbkt69
07-17-2012, 7:12 PM
I'm almost done with the initial development. just need to tweek it a bit. Just wonder if the tweeking should be kept at 100 before I move out. Its that flyer i get out of every batch that has me scratchng my head. but i only have 225 rounds down the tube. I think its my cheekweld but even when I pay more attention to that I still get that lonley hole.

CGT80
07-18-2012, 9:30 PM
...I still get that lonley hole.

Time to turn the tables! I just had one of these :cheers2: and this line makes me :laugh: Are you by any chance a hot, 25-35 year old female?

Sorry I just had to. Someone got a quote from me earlier that they loved but didn't really even sound dirty to me.

Anyway, won't going from 100-200 just double your groups? Set a target at 100 and 200 at the same time if possible. Those sound like good groups already (better than me). At 200 you could see how your group looks, a little easier, and the flier should be obvious. Or, maybe the flier will not be so bad. If you don't learn anything at 200, go back to 100 again.
Good luck.

rstbkt69
07-19-2012, 9:17 AM
HA, thats a good one. i never thought talking about the size of a group could lead to that.

I am way happy about my grouping with this rifle. But after 200 I will be moving into ranges I have never tried to shoot accurately. Anything past 200 before was to just hear the gong of a steel plate. I know with a little more practice and more seasoning of the barrel the flyers will close in ( I was going to say tighten up but that would wind up being another quote in CGT80's reply). I'm just thinking that shooting at 100 wouldn't be as productive as 200 but longer ranges will require more skill and thought from the shooter. At 100 i can just throw lead at a target that fills up the FOV in the scope. At 200 the smaller variances of range conditions and my ability to hold on target influence the grouping more and I want to work on the load now and not so much my skills.

I guess Ill go ahead and shoot out at 200 and if i don't like what I see I'll pull the targets back in like CGT80 suggested.

thanks all