PDA

View Full Version : Compound Sight-target and hunting: 5 or 7 pin?

Citadelgrad87
07-17-2012, 12:36 PM
I am getting into archery again after spending my youth shooting a recurve. My daughter got interested, so I picked us up some bows.

Mine will do double duty for target, some low key competitions, 3d etc, and some hunting.

My bow is a 60lb PSE Stinger, advertised to throw a little over 314 fps IIRC.

I am stuck between a 5 and 7 pin sight, I am leaning towards a spot Hogg hunting model, but the 7 pin looks like the pins will cover a large area of view.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on 5 vs 7, getting a 7 and pulling 2 pins just to have the option, etc?

Experiences appreciated, i.e. 5 not being enough, etc.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-17-2012, 12:51 PM
in 3d comps, 7 pin will put you in the 'open' class with the good shooters. Also, IMO, you'll only want a 7 pin for hunting if you plan on shooting more than 60yds. I use a Spot Hogg Real Deal 5 pin.

mif_slim
07-17-2012, 1:02 PM
I use 7 pins because I like to have the options even if I don't use it. I have though before on a coyote. Hit it at 74 yards square in the heart...if I didn't have those extra pins I would have stacked the pins but if I did that, I wouldn't even shoot in the first place.

Richard Erichsen
07-17-2012, 1:43 PM
I am getting into archery again after spending my youth shooting a recurve. My daughter got interested, so I picked us up some bows.

Mine will do double duty for target, some low key competitions, 3d etc, and some hunting.

My bow is a 60lb PSE Stinger, advertised to throw a little over 314 fps IIRC.

I am stuck between a 5 and 7 pin sight, I am leaning towards a spot Hogg hunting model, but the 7 pin looks like the pins will cover a large area of view.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on 5 vs 7, getting a 7 and pulling 2 pins just to have the option, etc?

Experiences appreciated, i.e. 5 not being enough, etc.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum on this one. Instinctive styles that use no pin sights at all have become my favorite. Let your brain deduce the distance and drop with your particular bow and arrow/point weight selection. Within typical archery distances, learning to assess distance quickly is not very difficult and critical to making use of the style.

It takes time to practice it, but once you've developed it, its a fast, fluid method of shooting and helps shed accessories off your primary bow. Pollington (now owned by Oneida) made an excellent red dot that was only visible if you had your head, eye and posture in proper alignment. The goal was to help make you a better shooter, but was designed specifically with the instinctive style in mind. I still have that Pollington on my old Oneida Tomcat II. Give instinctive archery methods a try if you haven't, you might find you like em.

R

Scottie15
07-17-2012, 2:52 PM
Get a sight, learn distances, don't bother with the instinctive shooting until you are very, very good at judging distance to targets, especially game. Not using the best available equipment to help you humanely harvest game is unethical and just plain wrong, IMO. It is also a lot easier to use pins at known distances too, especially helpful if you are just getting back into the sport. That said...

I like the 7 pin sights for 3D, and use it for hunting too. I don't find the extra pins get in the way, but with a 60 lb bow, and hunting (heavier) arrows, you might not even be able to get all 7 pins spaced enough to be able to use them. That was the case for one of my bows.

If you are shooting light enough arrows at 314 IBO, you may be able to use one pin for 10 and 20 yards. With a 7 pin, this gets you out to 80, and you would only have to stack a couple pins to hit those 100 or 110 yard targets. With a 5 pin, you have pins to just 60. I don't think this would be an issue if you are shooting with your daughter, and don't think you'll need to shoot too far. Just be advised that some 3D comps have 90-110 yard targets.

You can't really pull the pins on a wrapped spot hogg without busting the fiber optic tube. I have pulled two pins down back towards the riser, so they are clearly not being used, and been able to shoot in hunter class at some of the 3D shoots. Good luck. Spot hogg sights have always treated me well.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-17-2012, 3:14 PM
Just be advised that some 3D comps have 90-110 yard targets.

yup, always have a few reference spots, where my vertical wire meets the level-90yds, directly below that at the bottom of the sight ring-100yds... just for the 100yd buffalo in Salinas, lol.

180ls1
07-17-2012, 10:46 PM
i use 5 pins, its more then enough for me as i dont feel comfortable shooting more then 60 yards. I do wish however i got a whisker biscuit for hunting as it would make stalking easier.

lewdogg21
07-18-2012, 6:10 AM
Spot hogs are great. I use a 5 pin for hunting

makomyday
07-18-2012, 7:35 AM
7 deadly pins. 20 - 90 yards sets.

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks, guys, a lot to think about. I went yesterday and talked with some guys at the shop. I ended up agreeing that a 7 pin would bump me up in class, and have since learned to sight the bow using the top of the bubble level as the first pin, so I will be sighted to 70 yards, and will learn pin walking as I go.

I went with a Spot Hogg real deal, it's got the micro adjust, seems well made and solid.

Now, where to sight it in?

jmonte35
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
I use 5 pins...its personal preference....I hate 7 pins because theres too much clutter and I think it makes it more difficult if you need to make a quick shot but thats just me and I rarely take a shot past 60 yds. and if I did I feel confident with stacking and my bubble is set to exactly 100.

Citadelgrad87
07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I use 5 pins...its personal preference....I hate 7 pins because theres too much clutter and I think it makes it more difficult if you need to make a quick shot but thats just me and I rarely take a shot past 60 yds. and if I did I feel confident with stacking and my bubble is set to exactly 100.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the 7 pins, I am sure you get used to it, but it was like someone took 1/8 inch out of the middle of the sight, very full of pins.

makomyday
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
You can shoot out to 100 yards at mile square park.

lincoln45
07-18-2012, 7:57 PM
Spot hogs are great. I use a 5 pin for hunting

+1 30 40 50 60 70

first pin is good from 0-30 with minor bow adjustments

comfy to 80 using stacking