PDA

View Full Version : Cache Creek tule elk hunt

Sureshot357
07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I recently was awarded a bull tag for this hunt. Does anyone have experience with this area?

VFX_man
07-17-2012, 1:48 PM
No experience . . . but there are a few winners up there ;)
http://www.cachecreek.com/gaming/winners/

Best of luck!!!

The only Tule Elk I have seen recently were over on Grizzly Island. 2 large bulls and 3 cows. I have only seen them once in 4 weekends of rabbit hunting. They do roam over the whole island, and from what I saw of their tracks, they do bust right through the thick Tule's on the island.

Cheers!

mcmikeblues7
07-17-2012, 2:50 PM
Like VFX I have only seen tule elk at Grizzly island (I was with him actually) but I have heard great things about the Cache Creek Elk hunt. In fact, now that I think about this I did see an elk heard very near cache creek (possibly in Cache Creek) never thought that they were tule elk.

tony270
07-17-2012, 4:25 PM
I know the unit, what do you want to know?

pieeater
07-17-2012, 7:35 PM
The dates suck. Post rut and all the bulls will be beatup and busted up.Still tule tags go for 12,000 to 20,000 so id definately take the whole season off and then some and make the best of it.

Sureshot357
07-17-2012, 7:35 PM
I know the unit, what do you want to know?

Best places to look for them. I have seen them near the Hwy. in the winter but not so much in the summer.

pieeater
07-17-2012, 7:39 PM
lol The blacktails will be rutting hard then . You spend 3 weeks up there trying to kill a big bull you definately will know where some decent blacktails are for next year.

pieeater
07-17-2012, 7:42 PM
Best places to look for them. I have seen them near the Hwy. in the winter but not so much in the summer.

Post rut the biggest bulls are going to go off by themselves on some out of the way ridge to be by themselves and try and recuperate from the rut.You are going to have to do a lot of glassing and take a lot of time during that time of the year.

Sureshot357
07-17-2012, 7:47 PM
I am allowed to take one non hunter with me. Does anyone know anyone in that area that knows the area that could accompany me?

victor1echo
07-17-2012, 8:01 PM
I know nothing about your area but am very happy for you!

Manolito
07-17-2012, 8:15 PM
Congratulations on being drawn. Check with the local fish and game office and see if there are any licensed guides for the hunt I know they keep alist for the Antelope hunts. I would also look up the local sportsman club and attend one of their meetings introduce yourself and ask for help. I have no idea of legality but many pilots at small air strips will take you for a ride if you purchase the gas like on a photo trip over and around cache creek. I would check the legality of that suggestion. Google earth and live with those photos every off minute you have.

I am truly jealous so give us a blow by blow description of the hunt.

Good Luck and be safe

Respectfully,
Bill

pieeater
07-17-2012, 8:23 PM
I am allowed to take one non hunter with me. Does anyone know anyone in that area that knows the area that could accompany me?

Used to see horse trailers parked at some of the main trailheads during deer season. Might try catching some of these guys coming out or leave a card. Post rut hunt, its not going to matter where anyone saw a bull in aug or sept. Hes not going to be there. Your best bet is finding somebody that has drew the tag and knows what hes doing. Or somebody that scouts the areapost season for blacktails. They might have a clue as to some areas the bigger bulls hangout in post rut.

pieeater
07-17-2012, 8:34 PM
Congratulations on being drawn.

Your odds of dieing in a car crash in your lifetime are 1 in 83. The odds of drawing that tag were what 1 in 350??? lol

mcmikeblues7
07-17-2012, 8:36 PM

Please understand that I know nothing about elk hunting at ALL. But I would be very willing to accompany you and pay you back with some hard work on the hunt.

taperxz
07-17-2012, 8:40 PM
I know that area like the back of my hand. I won't help you cause you don't need it. If you hunt that area hard, You will kill a record bull.

Shoot-it
07-18-2012, 8:08 AM
I know that area like the back of my hand. I won't help you cause you don't need it. If you hunt that area hard, You will kill a record bull.
yeah right it's more like i won't help you because i don't want you to kill the bull i want when i finally draw a tag.:yawn:

taperxz
07-18-2012, 8:53 AM
yeah right it's more like i won't help you because i don't want you to kill the bull i want when i finally draw a tag.:yawn:

Don't be ridiculous. The success rate for this hunt is pretty good. My chances of drawing a tag are almost zero.

tony270
07-18-2012, 8:54 AM
I think the harvest rate is fairly high and the GW will usually point you in the right direction, but like some have already said check out a local guide. I have always seen them in the creek, along the 20 and in the parking lot pasture. Out in the field I have jumped them in and near the and clear areas I have circled on the map.

It is well known that Wilson Valley is a calving are for elk but I've never seen them in the open areas out there like I have near the 20 and the parking lot and creek bottom.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=159740&stc=1&d=1342627075

taperxz
07-18-2012, 8:57 AM
I think the harvest rate is fairly high and the GW will usually point you in the right direction, but like some have already said check out a local guide. I have always seen then in the creek, along the 20 and in the parking lot pasture. Out in the field I have jumped them in and near the and clear areas I have circled on the map.

It is well known that Wilson Valley is a calving are for elk but I've never seen them in the open areas out there like I have near the 20 and the parking lot and creek bottom.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=159738&stc=1&d=1342626846

Tony, the Elk are also way east now. I see them all over along 16 where the Cal fire station is. They have really expanded their range out there.

tony270
07-18-2012, 9:02 AM
Yeap, listen to Tape. It has been a long time since the last time I was out past the Redbud Trail Crossing, Tape knows more than anyone else I can think of.

Thanks for the update...

CHAD PEZZLE
07-18-2012, 9:13 AM
Tony, the Elk are also way east now. I see them all over along 16 where the Cal fire station is. They have really expanded their range out there.

Last summer I was seeing them almost all the way down to what I thought was Bear Creek. The population definitely seems to have gotten bigger.

I maybe off hunting during that time but if you can't find anyone to accompany you I'd be willing to tag a long. I've deer hunted there a few times but I'm not an expert by any means.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-18-2012, 10:01 AM
call dfg, get the # for the biologist in the area. The elk in CA are counted, recounted, watched, recorded, and the biologist will have A LOT of info. The biologists are the ones who recommend how many bulls/cows get taken from each herd, so they want all tag holders to be successful and will be pretty helpful.

pieeater
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
It doesnt matter where people have seen elk or they hangout. The bigbulls wont be there. The only thing i would be concerned with is if anyone has seen 280+ bulls october thru feb. Or found their sheds. Also id personaly make this a 3 week hunt if u can. One week befote season and the entire season if needed.

pieeater
07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Talk to the other tag holder maybe you can keep in contact and help each other out. Maybe hes only going for a 300 + bull and you want 260 +. He mite steer you onto a bull he doesnt want or you mite do the same for him.

Shoot-it
07-18-2012, 2:22 PM
Don't be ridiculous. The success rate for this hunt is pretty good. My chances of drawing a tag are almost zero.
Just pulling your leg a little ...:D
Don't give up keeping putting in for it .
The San luis area tule elk hunt is also hard i have a friend with 8 pionts still trying to get drawn.I was hunting last fall for buck deer and had a 4x5 bull elk run by me about 80 yards chasing a cow up a hill.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-18-2012, 2:48 PM
The San luis area tule elk hunt is also hard i have a friend with 8 pionts still trying to get drawn.I was hunting last fall for buck deer and had a 4x5 bull elk run by me about 80 yards chasing a cow up a hill.

I've got a few pics of the big 7x8 that roams Dinosaur from about 30yds, while deer hunting from a couple years ago. To bad during that season, those elk are no where near Dinosaur. I know the ranches those elk go to, and most people that fill those tags pay towards $10k to trespass. IMO, they should open the park for that hunt. It's a shame to have all that park property(awesome hunting land), and no one gets to use it.... but we all pay for it.

Bull Elk
07-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Your best bet is on private property. That's where 90% of the resident elk herd will be located. The down side is that private property owners want your first born child to hunt on their property. I'd seriously consider spending the money or sacrificing a child!

taperxz
07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Your best bet is on private property. That's where 90% of the resident elk herd will be located. The down side is that private property owners want your first born child to hunt on their property. I'd seriously consider spending the money or sacrificing a child!

This isn't accurate. Most of the land that this particular hunt is on is public land. Its the Cache Creek wildlife area.

Shoot-it
07-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I've got a few pics of the big 7x8 that roams Dinosaur from about 30yds, while deer hunting from a couple years ago. To bad during that season, those elk are no where near Dinosaur. I know the ranches those elk go to, and most people that fill those tags pay towards $10k to trespass. IMO, they should open the park for that hunt. It's a shame to have all that park property(awesome hunting land), and no one gets to use it.... but we all pay for it.
Do you still hunt dinosaur for deer.I am thinking on heading up there this weekend for archery.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Do you still hunt dinosaur for deer.I am thinking on heading up there this weekend for archery.
yup, when it's not too windy. I've seen a few GOOD bucks in there, but have never gotten a shot on anything there. It can get a lot of hunters on the weekends. When there's a lot of people, park out on the pass and walk out on the bald knob that overlooks pretty much all of the area. From there, you can see deer get pushed around, and make a play. Watched 2 of my buddies fill tags that way.

Shoot-it
07-19-2012, 1:50 PM
yup, when it's not too windy. I've seen a few GOOD bucks in there, but have never gotten a shot on anything there. It can get a lot of hunters on the weekends. When there's a lot of people, park out on the pass and walk out on the bald knob that overlooks pretty much all of the area. From there, you can see deer get pushed around, and make a play. Watched 2 of my buddies fill tags that way.
I got my dads old mossberg 500 ready this year for those copper sabows I had a weaver mount drilled and taped for it and put a fully rifles barrel on it and a limb saver recoil pad.I will be ready for the gun season.
If you see a 4 door 2007 gmc blue truck that will be me stop by and say hi.