View Full Version : What on earth are these? One is a dial type device, the other a green substance....

07-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Ok, I recently picked up some random reloading stuff locally from a craigslist deal. Amongst many other things were these two very different things that I don't know what they are.

The first is a dial type device, that says made in china. The other is an un-marked green substance.... I posted it in this forum because pretty much everything I bought is for reloading so... you guys tell me.



07-16-2012, 10:32 PM
#1 is a Dial Indicator...
#2 don't breath the dust...

07-16-2012, 10:53 PM
#1 is a Dial Indicator...

Yep, usually to measure run-out.

#2 don't breath the dust...



07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Umm I suppose that was helpful as it is more info than I had before. Well at least on the first part. Measure run out of what?

And what is the green stuff??

07-17-2012, 6:12 AM
It's polishing media for your brass, Makes your pistol loads shoot dead on at 1000 yrds. :rolleyes:

07-17-2012, 6:18 AM
"Runout gauge" is just the name of the device. The spring loaded arm is moved and gives a measurement on the dial. It's a machinists tool used to measure true linearity, how centered a piece in a lathe chuck is, lots of things.

07-17-2012, 6:21 AM
At the other extreme, that green stuff "may" be mouse, rat, or gopher poison.

About the dial indicator, in short, if you have to ask what it is it's of no use to you. Typically a machinist uses one on a mill or lathe to check how much he's cut. The need for such an item is less these days because they're being/have been replaced by DROs (Digital Read Outs.) Put it up for sale and see what it goes for.

07-17-2012, 7:58 AM
Yes it is certainly of no use to me.

But the polishing miracle media for accurate pistol sniping is! Or I could sell it for loads of cash. :)

07-17-2012, 8:28 AM
Runout indicator -- changes in the reading indicate how far away from perfectly round something happens to be when that roundish item is spun in a lathe. Haven't seen a DRO for this myself, overkill really since it's rarely used compared to say the offset in a mill.

Green stuff -- WAG is kitty litter to keep the moisture levels near tools down.

Exile Machine
07-17-2012, 8:30 AM
OK I'll play...

1) Analog prostate checker
2) Clay based kitty litter


07-18-2012, 11:09 PM
The dial indicator (we call it a wiggle type) can measure flatness, roundness, movement, any number of things depending on how you mount it relative to what's being measured. Generally more accurate/able to measure a smaller movement than a plunger type. We used that type when we couldn't get a large plunger type in where we needed to measure.

07-18-2012, 11:38 PM
The dial indicator is to check the pressure of your loads without firing them.

The green stuff is armor piercing shotgun load media very very rare the gov has now banned it worth more than gold!! LOL

07-19-2012, 3:20 AM
1) Analog prostate checker
2) Clay based kitty litter

1) Too small. :)

2) Cat polish, just set on spin, and win.