PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Single Action Only / Roster Exempt Revolver for PPT within California?

BigJ
07-16-2012, 4:27 PM
Hi guys, quick question for you:

I'm under the impression that since a single action only revolver is roster exempt, I can ship that revolver to an FFL within California for the purposes of a PPT.

Is that true, or false? If true, would you please link me to the correct PC explaining it? I'm trying to complete a deal for a sale with a PP within California for a Ruger Blackhawk, but his FFL is telling him that since its not on the roster, he cannot legally accept it.

Thoughts? Thanks!

littlejake
07-16-2012, 4:58 PM
Not really. If you ship it, it's no longer a PPT -- it's an FFL transfer. Roster's not a problem since it's roster exempt; but, FFL transfer fees are unregulated and in addition to shipping, and DROS, the transfer dealer may charge from $50 to $150 for handling the transfer -- plus it counts toward the 1 in 10 for the buyer (unlike a PPT).

If the dealer doesn't know that -- find another dealer.

BigJ
07-16-2012, 4:59 PM
Just to add a little more info, I ran across this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=441766

And this part caught my attention:
Roster-exempt handgun conversions can be used to avoid face-to-face PPT requirements, and function as a workaround to Roster issues when the seller/supplier doesn't hold a California ID.

DOJ BoF is (illegally) requiring source parties in PPTs to have CA IDs. Transferring a Roster-exempt handgun via a CA FFL avoids this PPT requirement since the gun can transition through CA FFL regular inventory.

Note that transfer fees are no longer the state-mandated PPT amount and can be whatever the FFL dealer chooses to charge - since PPT rules are not applicable.

Rendering a handgun into 12133PC Roster-exempt status also allows it to be shipped & transferred across California to another Californian’s local FFL, without the owners having to meet at the FFL at the same time, etc.

To me that answers the question exactly; it says in fact I can ship the Blackhawk (single action only revolver that meets the length and cylinder capacity requirements) to his FFL, who in turn can transfer it to and from their inventory to complete the sale (although when they accept it into their inventory, its not longer a PPT, but a traditional FFL sale).

Do I have that right?

PS: Here's the link to the CalDOJ website with the actual 12133 language http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12125.php

BigJ
07-16-2012, 5:06 PM
Not really. If you ship it, it's no longer a PPT -- it's an FFL transfer. Roster's not a problem since it's roster exempt; but, FFL transfer fees are unregulated and in addition to shipping, and DROS, the transfer dealer may charge from $50 to $150 for handling the transfer -- plus it counts toward the 1 in 10 for the buyer (unlike a PPT).

If the dealer doesn't know that -- find another dealer.Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.